Laughing City
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:
Sunshine wrote:
Being kitsch and not entering the digital age is what makes me tick.

but buying combinations (and almost all modern albums) on vinyl would be exactly that. Combinations is already as digital as it gets (due to being recorded digitally). It doesn't matter what format it is. You'll never get that quality you can find in analog recordings.

The only reason for buying it on vinyl would be for enlarged artwork (which would be enough for me. the designs of the album are great).

Amen. If you don't want to enter the digital age, don't buy vinyl copies of anything recorded since the 70s.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
oliez
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
don't buy vinyl copies of anything recorded since the 70s.

a lot of modern bands still record analog. The White Stripes are (overly) proud on making sure no computers are used in their recordings. Well, that's really the only one I know of for sure. I would say a few others that seem like they would record analog, but I don't really know if they do or not.

Here's a pretty good article talking about use of analog recordings in modern music:

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Quality-of-Analog-Recording-is-Still-Rec ognised-and-Used-by-Professionals&id=928963
Sunshine
Sea Post King

My post was sarcastic. I'm mocking the 'retro' scene.
oliez
Vintage Newbie

Sunshine wrote:
My post was sarcastic. I'm mocking the 'retro' scene.

ha. yeah it's hard to tell when people mean what here. I figured you might be some MCR hardcore groupie like some people that hang around. Good to know otherwise.
leighish
Vintage Newbie

i gotta say, I have In The Aeroplane Over The Sea on vinyl and it's soooo amazingly different than CD or MP3 format. I don't know or understand why but it's enough to make me weep with delight.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Whatsername832
Sea Post King

leighish wrote:
i gotta say, I have In The Aeroplane Over The Sea on vinyl and it's soooo amazingly different than CD or MP3 format. I don't know or understand why but it's enough to make me weep with delight.
I have it, too, and I love it! That record sounds exactly as it should on vinyl -- Just so wonderfully amazing!
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

What about an audio dvd? I only have one, "Suprenature" by Goldfrapp. It's my least favorite of their ablums but it's pretty cool to have the music and Alison's voice swirling around me in surround sound.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:
Saellys wrote:
don't buy vinyl copies of anything recorded since the 70s.

a lot of modern bands still record analog. The White Stripes are (overly) proud on making sure no computers are used in their recordings. Well, that's really the only one I know of for sure. I would say a few others that seem like they would record analog, but I don't really know if they do or not.

Here's a pretty good article talking about use of analog recordings in modern music:

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Quality-of-Analog-Recording-is-Still-Rec ognised-and-Used-by-Professionals&id=928963

Brandi Carlile did her last album on tape too. It's a rarity for sure, and I'd say it's likely that the vast majority of what you can find on vinyl these days was recorded digitally.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
unclearlies
Vintage Newbie

I made a new format of listening to music tonight...and it's called Johnomat....yeah...it sounds like a million times more crisp and clear and you can totally hear all the background noise...and ambient sounds that cds and vinyl usually neglect...

Johnomat...the sound of the future...

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

unclearlies wrote:
I made a new format of listening to music tonight...and it's called Johnomat....yeah...it sounds like a million times more crisp and clear and you can totally hear all the background noise...and ambient sounds that cds and vinyl usually neglect...

Johnomat...the sound of the future...
Please elaborate!
Shain
Vintage Newbie

perhaps this has already been answered, I took a look around and didn't find anything.

Where can Combinations on Vinyl be purchased?

Sea Post King

It can't.
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shain
Vintage Newbie

have you heard of any projected plans of putting it out on vinyl?
Vintage Newbie

only bootlegs

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Shain
Vintage Newbie

Thanks mister pine.