Laughing City
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

Hot damn!

And how in the world does someone get so much bike riding skill as to eat a bowl of cereal simultaneously?

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
so sherri smashes with plate and drowns
stacy smashes with flowers and arrows
christi only smashes bottle?
or did i miss her other thing?

Christie uses mind control to smash his hand with a rock.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

guitarfreak217 wrote:
Hot damn!

And how in the world does someone get so much bike riding skill as to eat a bowl of cereal simultaneously?

That's my biggest question about the video, too!

Thatlooksreallydangerous

Protocol Droid

Mooncutter wrote:
guitarfreak217 wrote:
Hot damn!

Thatlooksreallydangerous

Ha ha. If the handlebars are steady, it's not a big deal. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to balance when you get rolling.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sootandstars
Sea Post King

THANKS for posting this I've been waiting
Look each other in the eye
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
dont_panic wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:
this band seems very influenced by The Shins.
i've been getting a few e-mails from Polyvinyl about this record.

When I first heard the Shins, I thought they were influenced by SSLYBY. They've been making that kind of music since way before the Shins were popular. Although SSLYBY did cover "New Slang" at an acoustic show once, and it was marvelous.

these guys looked pretty young to me, so it seemed likely. the Shins were around several years before Garden State.

yeah, i'm, thinking that neither was influenced by the other, but rather influenced by the same bands. the shins have been around since 97 and have had pretty much the same sound since then.

actually i looked ot up on wiki out of curiosity.
Oh, Inverted World came out in 2001.
this band didn't start writing music until 2002.
so my statement is still probable.
combined with the fact that they covered New Slang makes it almost certain.

SSLYBY have been around in some form or another since before '02. I first saw them that year and their first EP came out around that time, but they existed prior to that.

The fact that they covered "New Slang" doesn't make anything certain; bands cover songs all the time that aren't by artists they count among their influences. I've never heard any member of SSLYBY mention the Shins, in person or in an interview, as one of their influences. dont_panic had it right--if anything they were both influenced by the same bands.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:
dont_panic wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:
this band seems very influenced by The Shins.
i've been getting a few e-mails from Polyvinyl about this record.

When I first heard the Shins, I thought they were influenced by SSLYBY. They've been making that kind of music since way before the Shins were popular. Although SSLYBY did cover "New Slang" at an acoustic show once, and it was marvelous.

these guys looked pretty young to me, so it seemed likely. the Shins were around several years before Garden State.

yeah, i'm, thinking that neither was influenced by the other, but rather influenced by the same bands. the shins have been around since 97 and have had pretty much the same sound since then.

actually i looked ot up on wiki out of curiosity.
Oh, Inverted World came out in 2001.
this band didn't start writing music until 2002.
so my statement is still probable.
combined with the fact that they covered New Slang makes it almost certain.

SSLYBY have been around in some form or another since before '02. I first saw them that year and their first EP came out around that time, but they existed prior to that.

The fact that they covered "New Slang" doesn't make anything certain; bands cover songs all the time that aren't by artists they count among their influences. I've never heard any member of SSLYBY mention the Shins, in person or in an interview, as one of their influences. dont_panic had it right--if anything they were both influenced by the same bands.

you made me bring out the big guns... Laughing

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/01/17/093236.php

"SSLYBY threw their homespun tunes up on a web site, they caught the attention of the blogosphere, and the next thing you know SPIN magazine is giving them a shout-out as a band that could "succeed the Shins." "

""House Fire" definitely has a whiff of The Shins about its riff-tastic guitar line and high-reaching choruses. Yet while this young band still wears their influences on their sleeves, there's hints of a deeper originality to come."

"Fans of The Shins or Wilco would do well to check these Yeltsin-ites out."

http://www.houstonpress.com/2007-01-04/music/someone-still-loves-you-b oris-yeltsin/

"The band is constantly compared to The Shins because, one, their music, especially the first two tracks, "Pangea" and "I Am Warm & Powerful," sound like well-mixed outtakes from Oh, Inverted World; and two, the young pipes of lead vocalist/guitarist John Cardwell are reminiscent of James Mercer's."

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/?id=16396

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin's fame is spreading the world over with a fury unseen since James Mercer's beard was mere stubble.
James Mercer, of course, is the lead singer of the indie cult group The Shins, beloved of celebrities and other important people. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin is a similar band to The Shins in that they're generating a ton of buzz, they write strong songs with killer melodies and deep-ish lyrics, and they're almost completely unknown, at least outside of the 'cool' circles.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/22372-broom

Guitarists who pull off coffeehouse restagings of the Shins and Olivia Tremor Control? Tricheckta.

www.urlimadeupjustnow.com

"we are totally influenced by The Shins," says songwriter of the band.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, all of those articles were written by people who are not in the band, and thus meaningless as an indication of their influences. But judging by the last one, you knew that. Razz

The one that mentioned "House Fire" is particularly full of crap--everyone knows that song is a huge Elliott Smith ripoff. And Phil (drummer, singer, 50% songwriter) thinks Elliott Smith is overrated, so hah! Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Yeah, all of those articles were written by people who are not in the band, and thus meaningless as an indication of their influences.

and what is your involvement in the band then?
(oh snap!)

i'm just defending my right to propose that the shins are an influence. many other people see it as well. in the end, neither of us can be certain, however, my proposition is entirely possible. the vocals on this track are very Mercer-esque. this is a distinct sound and phrasing. i don't know anyone else who sounds like that. their own record label even compares them to the shins.

guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
guitarfreak217 wrote:
Hot damn!

Thatlooksreallydangerous

Ha ha. If the handlebars are steady, it's not a big deal. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to balance when you get rolling.

Then I'm a crap cyclist.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Yeah, all of those articles were written by people who are not in the band, and thus meaningless as an indication of their influences.

and what is your involvement in the band then?
(oh snap!)

I've been to innumerable shows, had conversations with all three members, and generally been a superfan since before they were signed.

bigideas wrote:
i'm just defending my right to propose that the shins are an influence. many other people see it as well. in the end, neither of us can be certain, however, my proposition is entirely possible. the vocals on this track are very Mercer-esque. this is a distinct sound and phrasing. i don't know anyone else who sounds like that. their own record label even compares them to the shins.

I understand and am not saying you don't have the right to make that claim.

Smokemonster
RachelDldy
Sea Post King

Can I get some more COWBELL?
norad
Vintage Newbie

I can for sure hear The Shins influence. It's lovely.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

RachelDldy wrote:
Can I get some more COWBELL?

The cowbell's in "Glue Girls," the first track on Pershing. It's awesome. Wink

Smokemonster
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
I can for sure hear The Shins influence. It's lovely.

i'm not sure if you're sincere or sarcastic.

has there ever been a patrock/saellys debate?