Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Will the Cubs win the World Series in 2008?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 53

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Nice read there. Cubs fell to 1-3 today. Almost came back, but fell 1 run short to Houston. Hopefully I'll get to watch some of the game tomorrow (it wasn't on WGN television today, so I had WGN radio on).
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Fortunately for any team with a bad start, the first 10 games -- and indeed the first half of the season -- are almost pointless in most cases. Thank you, wild card. Rolling Eyes

(And I know the Yankees wouldn't have made the playoffs last year without it, but they probably would have won a lot more championships if not for hot, flash-in-the-pan WC teams, too.)

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Fortunately for any team with a bad start, the first 10 games -- and indeed the first half of the season -- are almost pointless in most cases. Thank you, wild card. Rolling Eyes

(And I know the Yankees wouldn't have made the playoffs last year without it, but they probably would have won a lot more championships if not for hot, flash-in-the-pan WC teams, too.)

2004 is a long time ago. Let it go! Laughing
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Ha, I don't really care about that very much. The 2004 Yankees were outclassed with almost no pitching and should have been swept in the first place. But I disdain the wild card. It has done little but make teams who take the first half of the season off into champions over teams who do things right (generally).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Ha, I don't really care about that very much. The 2004 Yankees were outclassed with almost no pitching and should have been swept in the first place. But I disdain the wild card. It has done little but make teams who take the first half of the season off into champions over teams who do things right (generally).

2003 Marlins come to mind (of course I am biased there). But I generally think the Wild Card is good for the game, good for ticket sales of teams eliminated from their divisions but still within reach of the wild card. I think the bigger question is DH or no DH.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I would like the wild card a lot more if they actually punished it. I think maybe a 3-game playoff to determine the winner would be good.

I am a huge fan of the DH, unless you want to inflate pitching stats. I think it's silly to have one guy come up every few innings who I could hit better than.

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I would like the wild card a lot more if they actually punished it. I think maybe a 3-game playoff to determine the winner would be good.

I am a huge fan of the DH, unless you want to inflate pitching stats. I think it's silly to have one guy come up every few innings who I could hit better than.

Carlos Zambrano is a career .218 hitter with 12 home runs. Carlos Marmol, career .207 with 1 HR in 29 at bats. Kerry Wood has 7 career home runs in 345 career at bats. Jason Marquis a career .207 hitter. I dare say I doubt you could hit over the Mendoza line. It is an important part of the game, and the NL games are a lot more strategic in nature as a result of having pitchers hit.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well, there are pitchers who hit well (Dontrelle Willis), but the majority look like they are not even sure how to hold a bat. I'd much prefer strategy involving things more than "Ok, this guy can lay down a bunt 1 out of 100 times, how do we get someone across?"

Also, we're still talking about career .200 hitters with one homer. It's better than me, but still pretty awful.

But anyway, that's why there's the NL. ha ha

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Well, there are pitchers who hit well (Dontrelle Willis), but the majority look like they are not even sure how to hold a bat. I'd much prefer strategy involving things more than "Ok, this guy can lay down a bunt 1 out of 100 times, how do we get someone across?"

Also, we're still talking about career .200 hitters with one homer. It's better than me, but still pretty awful.

My Carlos Marmol example was a bad one, but you did notice that his 1 HR was in 29 career at bats. He has not been in the league very long. That is not a bad % (1 HR every 29 at bats) and he does hit over .200.
But in the case of Carlos Zambrano, with his career stats, nobody can pitch around the #8 hitter to get to him. Just because many pitchers can't hit well does not mean they shouldn't have to. And yes, laying down a bunt is a must skill. A pitcher should be able to lay it down well. And I've seen pitchers used as pinch hitters before (Marquis did a couple times last year). I can't understand why the pitcher should be able to just pitch and not bat, and the DH should be able to just hit and not take the field. That is not baseball to me. So yea, I guess I totally disagree with you about the DH and about the Wild Card! Laughing
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:

My Carlos Marmol example was a bad one, but you did notice that his 1 HR was in 29 career at bats. He has not been in the league very long. That is not a bad % (1 HR every 29 at bats) and he does hit over .200.
But in the case of Carlos Zambrano, with his career stats, nobody can pitch around the #8 hitter to get to him. Just because many pitchers can't hit well does not mean they shouldn't have to. And yes, laying down a bunt is a must skill. A pitcher should be able to lay it down well. And I've seen pitchers used as pinch hitters before (Marquis did a couple times last year). I can't understand why the pitcher should be able to just pitch and not bat, and the DH should be able to just hit and not take the field. That is not baseball to me. So yea, I guess I totally disagree with you about the DH and about the Wild Card! Laughing

I pretty much agree with everything in this post. NL 4 lyfe! Wink But seriously, I hate the DH.
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

Admiral79 wrote:
nevernever wrote:
*cough*Cardinals*cough*

THAT's WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

TheAntrider wrote:

Do you think you can hit better than this former pitcher? Did somebody say MVP?

TheAntrider wrote:
But I disdain the wild card. It has done little but make teams who take the first half of the season off into champions over teams who do things right (generally).

What are you talking about?! The wildcard is the greatest thing that has ever happened to baseball! Considering there is no salary cap, without it the smaller market teams wouldn't even stand a chance to make the playoffs. The wildcard also makes a lot more games relevant at the end of the season and provides us with much better drama in those games as well as the playoffs.
Last edited by Admiral79 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

this conversation makes me think of a special moment in the i think the 06 season when the Tigers were playing in Wrigley and Fernando Rodney was allowed to hit. It was the funniest at bat ive seen to date.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Admiral79 wrote:
Admiral79 wrote:
nevernever wrote:
*cough*Cardinals*cough*

THAT's WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

TheAntrider wrote:

Do you think you can hit better than this former pitcher? Did somebody say MVP?

TheAntrider wrote:
But I disdain the wild card. It has done little but make teams who take the first half of the season off into champions over teams who do things right (generally).

What are you talking about?! The wildcard is the greatest thing that has ever happened to baseball! Considering there is no salary cap, without it the smaller market teams wouldn't even stand a chance to make the playoffs. The wildcard also makes a lot more games relevant at the end of the season and provides us with much better drama in those games as well as the playoffs.

I said MOST pitchers! ha ha. Anyway, the "I could hit better than" thing was hopefully obvious hyperbole. But maybe not ...

But How many truly poor teams have gotten a WC to victory? The Marlins have won twice, and then sold off their teams both times in the name of huge profits. The Red Sox won once, and are nearly up there with the Yankees in spending. Mostly, I've seen teams that choose to spend miserly to line owners' pockets, but splurge once in a while to fool their fans into thinking they are competitive. (This excludes the Sox, who I actually give props to for their continued spending in hopes of fielding a good team for their fans, instead of an owner just getting another private jet or something.)

Ouch ... I don't have it in me to debate baseball very long at this point in the season. I'd rather mostly not get worked up over things until after the All Star break. Laughing

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Another thing that's great about baseball is the variety - the parks don't all look the same, pitchers don't all throw the same, and batters don't all hit the same. Similarly, the leagues don't both play under the same rules! I don't know why people get all hot & bothered about the DH - if you like it, you have the AL, and if you don't then you follow the NL. Best of both worlds! Personally I like the DH because ordering a pitcher (whose average BA is about .160) to try and execute a sacrifice bunt isn't strategy, it's necessity.

Where did that Tiger fan go anyway? Disappeared? Maybe because the Royals left 'em in their dust!!! Razz Wink
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

TheAntrider wrote:
But How many truly poor teams have gotten a WC to victory? The Marlins have won twice, and then sold off their teams both times in the name of huge profits. The Red Sox won once, and are nearly up there with the Yankees in spending. Mostly, I've seen teams that choose to spend miserly to line owners' pockets, but splurge once in a while to fool their fans into thinking they are competitive. (This excludes the Sox, who I actually give props to for their continued spending in hopes of fielding a good team for their fans, instead of an owner just getting another private jet or something.)

How many truly poor teams have gotten a WC to victory? Well, I'd argue that teams that have made the wildcard are not poor. Since the first wildcard playoffs in 1995 only 8 of the 26 teams were the worst of the 4 teams in their league that made the playoffs. I've listed the WC teams year by year along with the team with the worst record (denoted in red). So 69% of the time the wild card is better than at least one other team in their league playoffs. And, in fact, in the last 5 years only 1 of the 10 wildcard teams was the worst in the league. Furthermore, of the 9 wildcards that have advanced to the World Series, '97 Marlins, '00 Mets, '02 Angels and Giants, '03 Marlins, '04 Redsox, '05 Astros, '06 Tigers, and '07 Rockies. Only the 2 of them, the '00 Mets and '02 Giants, were the worst of the 4 playoff teams in their league that year. However, they had 94 and 95 wins respectively. And of all the wildcard teams, the lowest winning percentage has been .535. However, this percentage in some years has been enough for a team to win their division.

In summary, the wildcard doesn't "allow" a poor team to sneak into the playoffs and win. I'd argue that with the unbalanced scheduling of Major League Baseball, the wild card is essential in ensuring that a good team is not punished and unjustly left out of the playoffs for not winning their division because of being in the same division as a great, dominant team.

NL: Rockies 77-67, Reds 85-59
AL: Yankees 79-65, Mariners 89-66

NL: Dodgers 90-72, Cardinals 88-74
AL: Orioles 88-74, Rangers 90-72

NL: Marlins 92-70, Astros 84-78
AL: Yankees 96-66, Indians 86-75

NL: Cubs 90-73, Padres 98-64
AL: Redsox 92-70, Rangers 88-74

NL: Mets 97-66, Astros 97-65
AL: Redsox 94-68, Rangers 95-67

NL: Mets 94-68, Cardinals 95-67
AL: Mariners 91-71, Yankees 87-74