Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Will the Cubs win the World Series in 2008?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 53

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs finally get above .500 with the extra innings win today. They had a 7-0 lead in the 4th, and nearly lost. But unlike past seasons, they at least held on for the win. It's going to be fun hearing Ron Santo say Kosuke Fukudome all year! Go Cubs! And Admiral, nice seeing you around here. How in the world have your Cardinals got Izturis taking walks this season? Guy was not good for The Cubs. Ankiel, another good start. See what happens.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
It's going to be fun hearing Ron Santo say Kosuke Fukudome all year! Go Cubs!

Hahaha! If Harry was still around, WGN would accrue about $2,600,000 in FCC obscenity violations.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs win again, 6 wins 3 losses now, completing the sweep of the Pirates. Second place a game behind STL. Go Cubs!
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

Get used to seeing the standings like this. Very Happy

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Admiral79 wrote:
Get used to seeing the standings like this. Very Happy

Laughing Yeah, can tell a whole lot from 9 games. More like get used to seeing headlines like this one on the Cardinals website:
Cards overmatched in opener vs. Giants
Wainwright victimized by big hits; ninth-inning rally falls short

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080410&c ontent_id=2513447&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl

On another note, why is Ankiel not playing tonight? I picked him for MLB.COM Home Run Beat the Streak competition. Turns out I should have picked Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez or Alfonso Soriano (all 3 homered for the Cubs tonight in a losing effort).
gundamit
Golly, Poster

Rb wrote:
It's all about the Giants even though they are practically the worst team in the NL and are already off to a losing start.
They might lose 100 games this year. But maybe not. Sanchez and Corea are fighting for the last spot in the starting rotation and they both looked great in their last starts. Giants starting pitching looks pretty good (although bang/buck ratio on Zito is poor) and if the middle relief hold up and Wilson is the closer the Giants are hoping he can be ... they might only lose 90+ games. Confused

BTW - Sorry ... no rings for the Cubs.

Lost at Forum

Laughing Yeah, can tell a whole lot from 9 games. More like get used to seeing headlines like this one on the Cardinals website:

On another note, why is Ankiel not playing tonight? I picked him for MLB.COM Home Run Beat the Streak competition. Turns out I should have picked Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez or Alfonso Soriano (all 3 homered for the Cubs tonight in a losing effort).

I prefer:

Pujols' big night leads Cards to victory; extend National League Central lead to 1 1/2 games over the Brewers and Cubs, who both lost.

Ankiel was just given the night off. He's played every game so far this year. Just a hint: I wouldn't pick any of the Cardinals outfielders for that contest, LaRussa likes to platoon guys a lot and with 5 young outfielders in Ankiel, Duncan, Barton, Schumaker, and Ludwick; he'll make sure they all stay well rested.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Admiral79 wrote:

I prefer:

Pujols' big night leads Cards to victory; extend National League Central lead to 1 1/2 games over the Brewers and Cubs, who both lost.

Ankiel was just given the night off. He's played every game so far this year. Just a hint: I wouldn't pick any of the Cardinals outfielders for that contest, LaRussa likes to platoon guys a lot and with 5 young outfielders in Ankiel, Duncan, Barton, Schumaker, and Ludwick; he'll make sure they all stay well rested.

I prefer:

Lincecum fans 11 in six-inning stint as Giants hold Cardinals

That Tim Lincecum is a stud. So glad he's in S.F.
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

i think its more like brewers this is the year 2008. Cubs five hundred team at best.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
Admiral79 wrote:

I prefer:

I prefer:

Lincecum fans 11 in six-inning stint as Giants hold Cardinals

That Tim Lincecum is a stud. So glad he's in S.F.

Or this one is a good one: Pineiro's rough debut results in trip-finale loss. You do know that the Cardinals are the only team who has played both Washington and San Francisco? 7 of your 13 games against those 2 teams. So don't get too far ahead of yourself, Admiral.

As far as the MLB fantasy baseball, I'm concentrating on the regular beat the streak one more than the home run one. The first person to pick successfully someone who gets a hit 57 days in a row wins $1 million (if someone you pick gets walks and sac bunts all night, or doesn't play, the streak doesn't end. You can pick a different person daily if you want). I'm at 10 right now, just 47 to go! So for tonight, wish me luck with Chone Figgins of the LA Angels getting a hit!! Smile

starbucksgod wrote:
i think its more like brewers this is the year 2008. Cubs five hundred team at best.

It's going to come down to pitching in the end. So we will see. Good luck to the Brewers in St. Louis starting tomorrow. Neither Brewers nor Cardinals worry me too much this year, but Cardinals worry me a little more than Brewers. Brewers haven't won a division in what, 20 years? Cardinals are good every year.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Fair or foul? The replay looks pretty much foul, but I don't think the umps wanted to deal with Lou, so they let it stand!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:
Fair or foul? The replay looks pretty much foul, but I don't think the umps wanted to deal with Lou, so they let it stand!

Fair was the call. I have to go with the call on the field. Wink

I'm now at 13 games in the MLB.com beat the streak constest. If I keep my streak going until May 30 and if nobody else gets to 57 first, I will win $1 million. Wish me luck!

TheAntrider wrote:
Well, there are pitchers who hit well (Dontrelle Willis), but the majority look like they are not even sure how to hold a bat. I'd much prefer strategy involving things more than "Ok, this guy can lay down a bunt 1 out of 100 times, how do we get someone across?"

Also, we're still talking about career .200 hitters with one homer. It's better than me, but still pretty awful.

But anyway, that's why there's the NL. ha ha
Zambrano went 3-4 tonight with a double. Pretty darn good!
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

Every time someone mentions pitchers who hit well I have to go to Dice-K game 3 of the World Series when he hit a 2run double.

Remember that? That was pretty cool. The Sox won that game. Then the next, after the previous 2.

Yeah. Dice-K. My favorite Japanese pitcher on the Red Sox to drive in a 2 run double in the 2007 World Series.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Current Standings

National League Central W L Pct. GB
Chicago Cubs 12 6 .667 -
St. Louis Cardinals 12 7 .632 ½
Milwaukee Brewers 11 7 .611 1
Cincinnati Reds 8 11 .421 4½
Pittsburgh Pirates 7 11 .389 5
Houston Astros 7 12 .368 5½

Go Cubs!

Admiral79 wrote:
Just a hint: I wouldn't pick any of the Cardinals outfielders for that contest, LaRussa likes to platoon guys a lot and with 5 young outfielders in Ankiel, Duncan, Barton, Schumaker, and Ludwick; he'll make sure they all stay well rested.

Thanks for the hint. I have given up on the Home Run Beat the Streak and am concentrating on the hits beat the streak. I almost picked Pujols for tonight, but at the last minute changed by mind to Yunel Escobar of Atlanta. I just couldn't put Pujols in there to get a hit. Laughing
hereiamagainonmyown
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
Fortunately for any team with a bad start, the first 10 games -- and indeed the first half of the season -- are almost pointless in most cases. Thank you, wild card. Rolling Eyes

(And I know the Yankees wouldn't have made the playoffs last year without it, but they probably would have won a lot more championships if not for hot, flash-in-the-pan WC teams, too.)

2004 is a long time ago. Let it go! Laughing

Ha, I don't really care about that very much. The 2004 Yankees were outclassed with almost no pitching and should have been swept in the first place. But I disdain the wild card. It has done little but make teams who take the first half of the season off into champions over teams who do things right (generally).

Umm, it doesn't really work that way in the American League. I believe that the wild card team has basically had 90 wins or more over the last few years. It makes superior teams more imporant than inferior divisions IMO.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>