Laughing City
negatiivethree
Golly, Poster

Is anyone else going to the St. Pete show tonight? I'm ashamed to say this is only my first Eisley concert.
emilytee<3
Sea Post King

i am and its my first to crazy i am so excited!!
emily<3
juan_diego
Sea Post King

I'M GOING!!! and this is not only my 1st Eisley concert but its actually my 1st concert ever, so I'm twice as exited!
dD_Daz
Sea Post King

Yeah I'm going! If you see a guy wearing a grey Eisley shirt it's probably me! Third time seeing them and first time seeing them in the US! Ha woo!

I last saw Eisley: The Fly, London, UK
Joined: 17 May 2006 | Posts: 88 | Location: Bourne, Lincolnshire, UK
juan_diego
Sea Post King

I'm leaving for St. Pete in just a few minutes!!

hope to see you some of you there!

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Enjoy, y'all!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
suddensound
Sea Post King

The Middle Ages“Middle Ages” is a convenient name for the period stretching roughly from the collapse of the Roman Empire through the fifteenth century. Much of this time was marked by the fragmentation of authority, war, and social upheaval as England moved from being merely the location of tribal battles for dominance to a unified kingdom. Westminster Abbey (above) has been the site of the coronation of all the kings and queens of England since its construction. To hear a wonderful example of the music of the medieval church, click on the link below and then click on “An example of a plainsong chant.”

Runes are characters from an ancient alphabet used by Germanic peoples. For an interesting look at how runes were used in Old English poetry, visit one of the sites below:

Caedmon’s Hymn

This story by the Venerable Bede is significant because it describes the earliest existing Old English poem, probably written sometime in the seventh century. An account of how “heavenly grace” singles out an illiterate cowherd, giving him the gift of composing songs, must have inspired as well as charmed its readers with the implicit promise that even the humblest person may participate in God’s miracles. .Caedmon’s Hymn Menu

Alliteration
refers to the repetition of initial consonant sounds; it is a form of word play, and who doesn’t like to play with words? Try this one: The big black bug bit a bit black bear and made the big black bear bleed blood. or Words are like weapons; they wound sometimes. or even Krispy Kreme Kash n Karry Los Angeles Lakers Here are two examples which appear in Caedmon’s Hymn: The Measurer’s might When he of wonders of every one Note that the repeated sounds all fall on syllables that are stressed when read, unlike the second and third syllables of “Measurer’s” and the words “the,” “and,” and “his.”

As you look back at the Hymn, notice the break (the space) in the middle of each line. This break represents a caesura--a strong pause in the poetic line--and is characteristic of Old English poetry. Nu sculon herigean heofonrices weard, Now we must praise heaven-kingdom’s Guardian,
from Anglo Saxton to Norman

Although Beowulf fits the pattern of oral poetry which the ancestors of eighth and ninth century inhabitants of England enjoyed, scholars doubt that it was ever performed in the manner of the older works. It was composed in writing rather than handed down by word of mouth, and its author brings a Christian perspective to the kind of tale humans were already enjoying long before the birth of Christ.

One of the things that makes Beowulf so interesting for modern readers is the poet’s use of vivid metaphors. As you may already know, a metaphor is an implicit comparison of two things. Implicit means here that we understand that a comparison is intended—as in an expression such as “After reading this assignment, my mind is mush.” When we turn this statement into an explicit comparison, as in ”After reading this assignment, my mind feels like mush,” we have a figure of speech called a simile.

The metaphors in Beowulf, however, often take a unique form; they appear as hyphenated compound words. Here are some examples: hot-hearted Beowulf hall-warmer wide-spilling woes dark death-shadow cliff-climbing thicket beer-swollen boasters These compact, effective metaphors, sometimes referred to as kennings, create images in the mind of the reader, just as all metaphors do. We will talk more about images later, but watch for metaphors in everything you read and even in daily conversation. They’re tools we all use to express ourselves precisely.Metaphors in Beowulf: Kennings

“It is impossible to say when people (and beasts) started posing riddles, but it is probable that they practiced these word-tricks--for that is what they are--long before they learned how to write.” Kevin Crossley-HollandOld English RiddlesMenu

The only known source for Old English riddles is the Exeter Book, a collection of manuscripts which has been preserved in the library of Exeter Cathedral, England. The riddles, probably composed sometime between the eighth and tenth centuries, follow the format of other Old English poetry—using Alliteration and four stresses to a line. While they were probably written as literary entertainment, they were undoubtedly enjoyed as poetry as well. Often the riddles are written in the first person, so if you guess who --or what--is speaking, you have solved the riddle. Since the riddles do not include titles that give the solutions, we have to figure them out ourselves. Old

Geoffrey of Monmouth and the Legendary Histories of Britain
Geoffrey’s “history,” while mostly fiction, was nevertheless widely accepted, probably because of the adventure and romance abounding in the tale of Arthur, king of the Britons, his knights of the Round Table, his unfaithful wife, and his false friend, Lancelot. Nevertheless, King Arthur’s reign became idealized as the “good old days” when knights were brave and loyal and women were worth dying for, a time, predictably, to which the present compared unfavorably.Menu

The Myth of Arthur’s Return
Long before Geoffrey of Monmouth or any of the other writers of medieval chronicles, oral tradition among the Britons and the Welsh predicted the return of Arthur--he was to be, in the words of a twentieth-century author, “the once and future king.” Menu

The General Prologue
The Canterbury Tales is about a road trip; we
might compare its plot to those of more contemporary works such as John
Ford’s movie Stagecoach, the 1960s TV program Wagon Train, or perhaps
even the 1980s film The Breakfast Club. Here’s what all these works
have in common: a diverse group of people, representing various “walks
of life,” are brought together by a single purpose, a challenge, or
danger. Menu

Of course, Chaucer’s Pilgrims are in no
danger--except perhaps from boredom—so they decide to pass the time on
their trips to and from Canterbury by telling stories.

The
“holy blisful martyr,” St. Thomas a Becket, first chancellor of England
and second archbishop of Canterbury, was murdered in the cathedral in
1170 by supporters of King Henry II. He was canonized (made a saint) in
1173. Pilgrims visited his tomb in large numbers—his shrine was one of
the three most popular in Europe—until the time of Henry VIII.The
The Wife of Bath’s Prologue and Tale
The Wife of Bath is a woman who has
been around; that becomes clear in both her prologue and her tale. Menu
>
As you have read in your text, the medieval church nurtured
anti-feminist writings; women were regarded, in this view, as
irrational, earthly, and material. The lower aspects of human nature
predominated in women. In men, conversely, the higher
aspects--rationality, intellect, and spirituality--predominated. Be
sure you have read also “The Advice of the Old Woman” from The Romance
of the Rose at
http://www.wwnorton.com/nael/middleages/topic_1/welcome.htm Click on
Texts and Contexts, then on The Romance of the Rose. The Wife of Bath’s
Prologue and Tale 2 Menu
>
>
>
> Metaphors in The Wife of Bath’s Prologue
>
Alisoun says An housbonde wol I have, I wol nat lette, Which shall be
bothe my dettour and my thrall . . . (160-61) Ne noon so grey goos
gooth ther in the lake, As, saistou, will be withoute make . . .
(275-76) Whoso that first to mille comth first grint. (395) With empty
hand men may no hawkes lure. (421) The flour is goon, ther is namore to
telle: The bren as I best can now moste I sellle . . . (483-84) He yaf
me al the bridel in myn hand . . . (819) What does she mean? You may
want to study the Writing Workshop slides on the topic of metaphor
Julian of Norwich
An anchoress lived a secluded life but one anchored in this world. Her cell, attached to a church, was supposed to have three windows —one to enable her to participate in the mass and take communion, one to communicate with her assistant, and one to give help and advice to those who sought it. Though we can’t be sure of her real name, we do know from her writing that Julian of Norwich experienced sixteen extraordinary visions while in a “near death” state. Afterward, she chose the reclusive life in order to study and contemplate the meaning of these mystical visions. Lady Julian’s cell todayMenu

=Margery Kempe was a contemporary of both Julian of Norwich and Chaucer, though she was much younger than either. Her book is “the spiritual autobiography of a medieval laywoman.” Like Julian of Norwich, she experienced visions of Christ and the Virgin Mary, but as a layperson rather than a member of a religious order or a recluse, she had to reconcile the demands of everyday life with her spiritual calling. When Kempe visited Julian of Norwich, perhaps the anchoress offered the younger woman guidance as to how to achieve this reconciliation. Kempe’s style of religious expression and her outspoken defense of her visions made her a controversial figure and even placed her in danger in a time when any perceived deviation from the accepted path in religion could result in charges of heresy. Menu

The Pestilence The Black Plague that raged in the Middle Ages originated, as far as we know, in Central Asia in around 1347. Within eighteen months it had devastated the continent. The best estimates today are that 20% of the population died, although in some areas the death toll may have been as high as 40%. Of the 20 million living in Europe at that time, at least 4 million died. The symptoms of the plague began with headaches, chills and fever, vomiting, and soreness in the arms and legs. Within two days large swellings, perhaps as large as an orange , appeared under the arms and in the groin. These turned black and oozed pus and blood. Internal bleeding, as evidenced by bloody stools and urine, was followed swiftly by death. There was less than a week between the first symptoms and the victim’s last breath. Menu

The king of France asked the learned men of the University of Paris to discover the cause; the best answer they could give was an unfavorable alignment of the stars and poison fumes from below the earth being spread by earthquakes. It wasn’t until the late nineteenth century that scientists would learn that the plague was transmitted by fleas who carried the disease in their intestinal tracts. They infected the rats upon whom they lived. When these rats died, the fleas hopped to (and infected) new hosts—other rats or humans. Rumors that Jews had caused the epidemic by poisoning wells resulted in thousands of Jews being murdered in Europe. The Pestilence 2 Menu

In Rochester, England, “men and women carried their children on their shoulders to the and cast their bodies into a common pit. From thence proceeded so great a stench that hardly anyone dared walk across the churchyard.” Henry of Knighton wrote, “Many villages and hamlets have now become quite desolate. No one is left in the houses, for the people are dead that once inhabited them.”The Pestilence 3 Menu

Because the plague was so contagious and killed so quickly, families split apart; brothers abandoned brothers, and parents left their sick children in order to save their own lives. Priests refused to visit the ill. Pope Clement VI decided to grant remission of sin to all who died from the plague because so many had been unable to receive the Last Rites. Most people saw the epidemic as God’s punishment on sinful humankind. At the end of the 1300s, the population of Europe was only half of what it was at the beginning of the century. The Pestilence 4 Menu

Sheep died throughout England, but even scavengers refused to touch the plague-ridden bodies. Wolves who had descended from the hills to feed on the sheep turned instead to villages where the few surviving people remained. To some observers of the time, it seemed like “the end of the world.”

The Dance of DeathThe black and white images on this and the following three slides are woodcuts by Hans Holbein the Younger, a sixteenth century artist. They illustrate the “Dance of Death,” an allegorical theme in the art, literature, and music of the later middle ages. In the Dance of Death, the dead rose from the grave as skeletons and tempted the living—of all ages and ranks—to join them in a “dance” that inevitably led to death. Such images were even painted on church walls. Menu

Medieval biblical drama developed, as your textbook tells you, from church liturgies, “especially those associated with Easter and the Feast of Corpus Christi” (literally, the “body of Christ,” as in communion, or the Eucharist). During the late fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, mystery plays, mainly dramatizations of the Bible, were produced in English towns by guilds (associations of businessmen and craftsmen) called mysteries—hence the name. Individual plays were often part of a large cycle of as many as forty plays that might be presented during the religious festivals. These plays entertained with low comedy and emotional appeal but were intended to instruct. Keep in mind that the common folk who were the audience for these dramas were unlilkely to be able to read the Bible for themselves, even in an English version

Morality plays are examples of works composed not as parts of a cycle but as stand-alone productions. They focused on God’s scheme for humankind’s salvation as it affects the individual human being. The main character in the play is actually a symbol, not a representation of a particular human being, but a representation of all humankind. The other characters are symbols as well, and usually their names will indicate what each symbolizes. Even the plot and setting are symbolic. Such a work is called an allegory. Mankind is a late medieval example of the morality play. Be prepared for a work that is symbolic rather than realistic.

Mankind
As you read the play, consider the background I’ve just given you. Plays like Mankind were performed in the aftermath of the plague, and no doubt the cultural memories of that catastrophe influenced both writers and audience in their perceptions of the subject matter. Life is short, especially in the Middle Ages. Still, there’s some humor in this play and a touching human “lesson.” I think you’ll enjoy it. After you have read the play, see if you can explain the meaning of the allegory; put into your own words not what happens in the play but what the play is about. Menu
The Early Modern Period
Renaissance or early modern? Literary critics differ as to which term best describes this century. “Renaissance” stresses England’s break with medieval culture and the revival (and translation) of classical Greek writings. “Early modern” refers to sweeping changes in the language itself as well as the historical and cultural changes that set the stage for modern concepts such as the market economy and the centralized state. After we’ve worked through the next few weeks, you’ll have an informed opinion of your own, and we will come back to this topic. Menu

The Literature of the Sacred
Imagine if you can a society where the “state” religion was completely interwoven with life, public and private; this was England in the sixteenth century. When dissent arose, the newly-invented printing press enabled protesters to reach large audiences with their arguments.

The Wycliffite Bible A page from the Wycliffite Bible “Morning Star of the Reformation”
The above epithet refers to John Wycliffe, philosopher, theologian, and religious reformer. He received a doctorate from Oxford in 1632. Although he died more than 100 years before Martin Luther and before Henry VIII separated the Church of England from the Roman Catholic church, some of his beliefs represented a complete break with the established church of his day. He believed, for example, in a direct relationship between humanity and God—there was no need for the mediation of priests. He denounced many of the practices of the church as unscriptural. His English translation of the Bible defied church tradition. Because Wycliffe had influential friends at court, he escaped the fate of some other reformers, but in 1428, his bones were disinterred and burned for his heresies. From Funk and Wagnalls New Encyclopedia, 1986. Menu

The Reformation Remember that the Reformation began with the ideal of reforming the Roman Catholic Church--not breaking away from it. Martin Luther, a German monk and one of the best-known reformers, held to this ideal until he had to choose between following his beliefs and his conscience or being excommunicated. Out of the Reformation came the numerous Protestant sects we have today. And, of course, King Henry VIII of England took advantage of the reform movement to advance his own interests.
On July 4, 1519, the label ‘Lutheran’ was first used. The term, coined by enemies, applied to Protestants in Europe who strictly followed the writings of Martin Luther.” --Thrivent, July/August 2002.

Henry the Eighth
Henry the Eighth is perhaps best known for three things: v for fathering Queen Elizabeth the First, v for having six wives, and v for breaking England away from the rule of the Roman Catholic Church in Rome. When the pope refused to grant Henry a divorce from his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, who had produced six children but no male heir, Henry convened the Reformation Parliament. The outcome was the Church of England, still Catholic but independent of Rome, with Henry as its head. Henry VIII was the son of Henry Tudor (Henry VII), who was the first Tudor king. Henry VII’s ascent to the throne united the rival Lancaster and York factions of English royalty. Menu

The Six Wives of Henry the Eighth
In 1533, Anne Boleyn became Henry’s second wife. She gave birth to Elizabeth, but apparently couldn’t hold the king’s favor. She was beheaded for alleged adultery, and, according to an old song, “walks the Bloody Tower . . . with ‘er ‘ead tucked underneath ‘er arm.” .
Both Catherine Howard and Anne Boleyn went to the block; remember that in the time of Henry VIII, a man couldn’t simply divorce an unwanted wife as a recent king of England did.

The Tyndale Bible
Protestant reformers wanted all believers to have access to the Bible in their their own language. But church authorities often resisted, sometimes violently. William Tyndale was strangled and burned at the stake in 1536 for his activism in the Protestant reformation, including the printing of an English version of the New Testament and the first five books of the Old Testament. His work survived him, though. It is easy for us to underestimate the “power of the press” because we take a free press for granted. We take for granted also our right to read in our own language the sacred writings of our religious faith. But it is with these rights as with other human rights: a few had to fight and even die for them before the rest of us could enjoy them. Menu

Anne Askew
The death of Anne Askew Think for a moment: what beliefs do you hold so strongly that you would be willing to die rather than give them up? The testimony of Anne Askew is the voice of one person among many who were persecuted, tortured, and finally executed for their religious beliefs. I would like to say that such persecution and brutality belongs only to a dark era in the distant past, but unfortunately the human capacity for hate and violence, especially (ironically) when it comes to religion, continues to this day. Menu

By now you have read John Foxe’s account of the circumstances of Anne’s death. She was given a chance to recant—to take back things she had said which led to her death sentence, to disavow her Protestant beliefs—but she refused to look at the king’s letters of pardon. Are people like Askew who choose to die for ideas heroes or fools?

The Book of Common Prayer
The Book of Common Prayer has been “the basis of Anglican [Church of England] worship” since the time of Elizabeth the First. This book, written primarily by Thomas Cranmer, archbishop of Canterbury, around 1552, reshaped the old Latin liturgy into a contemporary English form for public worship. Queen Mary Tudor, a Catholic, banned the book during her reign (and also executed Cranmer) but the book was restored to use by Elizabeth. If you have been to a Christian wedding lately, you have probably heard recited some of the words from the Book of Common Prayer. “. . . whom God hath joined together, let no man put asunder.”
7 Elizaabethan
Elizabeth’s natural strengths and abilities, as well as her distinguished education, helped make her a powerful force in the age that now bears her name—”Elizabethan.” Without these advantages, she might have become a ruler in name only instead of the firm hand controlling the reins of her kingdom. Menu Queen Elizabeth the First

The “Golden Speech” Elizabeth took pride in her ability to use language gracefully and effectively. What response do you think her listeners (members of Parliament) would have had to this speech? How does she portray herself in relation to her subjects? Given the background of the speech (read the footnotes), do you think her carefully chosen words achieved her purpose? Menu

The Elizabethan Theatre
As you read the two Elizabethan plays assigned (Dr. Faustus and Twelfth Night), keep in mind that the theatrical conventions of that era were different from those of the present day in several important ways: v the thrust stage v v open-air theatres v no female performers— young men dressed as women played female roles v v court performancesMenu

Christopher Marlowe
Here’s a mystery for you: Who was responsible for Marlowe’s death in a London tavern fight? Was he really killed in a dispute over a bill, or was he (as we would put it today) “set up?” Evidence suggests that he may have been a kind of “secret agent” in the service of the queen. He left behind him several great works, but he was only 29 when he died. Compare him, if you like, to some of the talents of our times who died too young: River Phoenix, Aaliyah--what might each have accomplished, given a longer life? Menu

This portrait is believed to be Christopher (Kit) Marlowe. The inscription in the upper left hand corner gives his age as 21, the year 1585, and the motto, “That which nourishes me destroys me.” If you click here, you can visit a great Website and learn more about Marlowe. www.luminarium.org/renlit/marlowe.htm Image used by permission of the Syndics of Cambridge University Library. Menu

The Passionate Shepherd to His Love 2“
Come live with me and be my love . . .” Marlowe’s famous poem is an invitation, perhaps even a marriage proposal. Consider what the shepherd offers to his beloved; are such invitations constant over the centuries? What might a lover of our century promise in his passionate plea? Notice that the pattern of stresses and rhyme is constant through all five stanzas of the poem. Each stanza has four lines; each line has four stressed syllables. And we will sit upon the rocks, Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks . . . Notice also that lines one and two rhyme, as do three and four. Pairs of lines linked by rhyme are called couplets; Watch for couplets as we read other poems. Menu

Sir Walter Ralegh“soldier, courtier, philosopher, explorer and colonist, student of science, historian and poet”Ralegh’s interests and talents make him an excellent example of a “Renaissance man” as we use that term today. He was cultured and well-rounded rather than a “specialist” who had expertise in only one field. A favorite of the queen, he was accused of treason by her successor, James I, who later ordered Ralegh’s execution. As your text notes, Ralegh directed the colonization of Virginia. Do you know whom this colony was named after? Menu

How many times have you heard someone say “I’d sell my soul for . . .”? Today, many people don’t believe in demons or devils or even the soul, much less an individual’s ability to make such an “unholy bargain.” We are, however, still fascinated by the idea, and so films like Damn Yankees and The Devil’s Advocate as well as The Exorcist and Rosemary’s Baby are very popular. But the audiences of Marlowe’s time did believe and were shocked as well as titillated by such stories. “Was this the face that launched a thousand ships / And burnt the topless towers of Illium?”
before you answer. . Menu
General Prologue 3 Menu

canterbury characters:
manciple - clever but uneducated
monk - loves hunting
marchant - forked beard
chaucer - couldn't make the trip
prioresse - pet dogs
frere - lives by begging
doctour of physik - practices natural magic
knight - fought in crusades
cook - has a sore on his shin
person - sets a good example
clerk - "gladly wolde he lerne"

Anglo-Saxon is the term usually used to describe the invading tribes in the south and east of Great Britain from the early 5th century AD, and their creation of the English nation, to the Norman conquest of 1066.[1] The Benedictine monk, Bede, identified them as the descendants of three Germanic tribes: [2]
* The Angles, who may have come from Angeln, and Bede wrote that their whole nation came to Britain [3], leaving their former land empty. The name 'England' or 'Aenglaland' originates from this tribe. [4]
* The Saxons, from Lower Saxony (German: Niedersachsen, Germany)
* The Jutes, from the Jutland peninsula.
Old English, sometimes called Anglo-Saxon, was the language spoken under Alfred the Great and continued to be the common language of England (non-Danelaw) until after the Norman Conquest of 1066 when, under the influence of the Anglo-Norman language spoken by the Norman ruling class, it changed into Middle English roughly between 1150–1500.
Henry VII
Henry VIII (28 June 1491 – 28 January 1547) was King of England and Lord of Ireland, later King of Ireland and claimant to the Kingdom of France, from 21 April 1509 until his death. Henry was the second monarch of the House of Tudor, succeeding his father, Henry VII.

Henry VIII was a significant figure in the history of the English monarchy. Although in the first 40 years of his reign he energetically suppressed the Protestant reformation of the church, a movement having roots with the martyr John Wycliffe of the 14th century, he is more popularly known for his political struggles with Rome. These struggles ultimately led to him separating the Anglican church from the Roman hierarchy, the Dissolution of the Monasteries, and establishing himself as the Supreme Head of the Church of England.
Catherine of Aragon Anne Boleyn (executed) Jane Seymour Anne of Cleves Catherine Howard (executed) Catherine Parr

Saint Augustine (IPA: [ɔˈɡʌstɪn] or [ˈɔɡəstɪn])[1] (Latin: Aurelius Augustinus Hipponensis;[2]) (November 13, 354 – August 28, 430), Bishop of Hippo Regius, was a philosopher and theologian. Augustine, a Latin church father, is one of the most important figures in the development of Western Christianity. Augustine was heavily influenced by the Neo-Platonism of Plotinus.[3] He framed the concepts of original sin and just war. When the Roman Empire in the West was starting to disintegrate, Augustine developed the concept of the Church as a spiritual City of God, distinct from the material City of Man.[4] His thought profoundly influenced the medieval worldview.

was born in the city of Tagaste, the present day Souk Ahras, Algeria, to a Catholic mother, Monica of Hippo. He was educated in North Africa and resisted his mother's pleas to become Christian. Living as a pagan intellectual, he took a concubine and became a Manichean. Later he converted to the Catholic Church, became a bishop, and opposed heresies, such as the belief that people can have the ability to choose to be good to such a degree as to merit salvation without divine aid (Pelagianism). His works—including The Confessions, which is often called the first Western autobiography—are still read around the world.

In Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Communion, he is a saint and pre-eminent Doctor of the Church, and the patron of the Augustinian religious order; his memorial is celebrated 28 August. Many Protestants, especially Calvinists, consider him to be one of the theological fathers of Reformation teaching on salvation and divine grace. In the Eastern Orthodox Church he is blessed, and his feast day is celebrated on 15 June, though a minority are of the opinion that he is a heretic, primarily because of his statements concerning what became known as the filioque clause.[5] Among the Orthodox he is called Blessed Augustine, or St. Augustine the Blessed.[6]

William I of England (1027[1] –September 9, 1087), better known as William the Conqueror (French: Guillaume le Conquérant), was Duke of Normandy from 1035 and King of England from 1066 to his death.

To claim the English crown, William invaded England in 1066, leading an army of Normans to victory over the Anglo-Saxon forces of Harold Godwinson (who died in the conflict) at the Battle of Hastings, and suppressed subsequent English revolts in what has become known as the Norman Conquest.[2]

His reign, which brought Norman culture to England, had an enormous impact on the subsequent course of England in the Middle Ages. In addition to political changes, his reign also saw changes to English law, a programme of building and fortification, changes to the vocabulary of the English language, and the introduction of continental European feudalism into England.

As Duke of Normandy, he is known as William II. He was also, particularly before the conquest, known as William the Bastard.

the Venerable Bede, (c. 672–25 May 735), was a Benedictine monk at the Northumbrian monastery of Saint Peter at Monkwearmouth, today part of Sunderland, England, and of its companion monastery, Saint Paul's, in modern Jarrow (see Wearmouth-Jarrow), both in the Kingdom of Northumbria.

He is well known as an author and scholar, and his most famous work, Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History of the English People) gained him the title "The father of English history". Bede is regarded as a Doctor of the Church by the Roman Catholic Church, a position of theological significance; he is the only man from Great Britain to achieve this designation (Anselm of Canterbury, though also a Doctor of the Church, was originally from Italy).

The most important and best known of his works is the Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum, giving in five books and 400 pages the history of England, ecclesiastical and political, from the time of Caesar to the date of its completion (731). The first twenty-one chapters, treating of the period before the mission of Augustine of Canterbury, are compiled from earlier writers such as Orosius, Gildas, Prosper of Aquitaine, the letters of Pope Gregory I and others, with the insertion of legends and traditions. After 596, documentary sources, which Bede took pains to obtain throughout England and from Rome, are used, as well as oral testimony, which he employed with critical consideration of its value. He cited his references and was very concerned about the provenance of his sources, which created an important historical chain.

St. Thomas Becket, (c. 1118 – 29 December 1170) was Archbishop of Canterbury from 1162 to 1170. He is venerated as a saint and martyr by both the Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Church. He engaged in conflict with King Henry II over the rights and privileges of the Church and was assassinated by followers of the king in Canterbury Cathedral.

Geoffrey of Monmouth (Welsh) (c. 1100 – c. 1155) was a clergyman and one of the major figures in the development of British history and the popularity of tales of King Arthur.
Archbishop Theobald consecrated Geoffrey as bishop of St Asaph, having ordained him a priest 10 days before. Geoffrey attested about six different charters between the years 1129 and 1151; the date of his death is recorded in the Welsh Chronicles. he wrote history of the kings of britan which included king arthur

King Arthur is a legendary British leader who, according to medieval histories and romances, led the defence of Britain against the Saxon invaders in the early 6th century. The details of Arthur's story are mainly composed of folklore and literary invention, and his historical existence is debated and disputed by modern historians.[2] The sparse historical background of Arthur is gleaned from various histories, including those of Gildas, Nennius and the Annales Cambriae. Arthur's name also occurs in early poetic sources such as Y Gododdin.[3]

The legendary Arthur developed as a figure of international interest largely through the popularity of Geoffrey of Monmouth's fanciful and imaginative 12th-century Historia Regum Britanniae (History of the Kings of Britain).[4] However, some Welsh and Breton tales and poems relating the story of Arthur date earlier than this work; these are usually termed "pre-Galfridian" texts (from the Latin form of Geoffrey, Galfridus). In these works, Arthur appears either as a great warrior defending Britain from human and supernatural enemies, or as a magical figure of folklore, sometimes associated with the Welsh Otherworld, Annwn.[5] How much of Geoffrey's Historia (completed in 1138) was adapted from such earlier sources, rather than invented by Geoffrey himself, is unknown.
Geoffrey depicted Arthur as a king of Britain who defeated the Saxons and established an empire over the British Isles, Iceland, Norway and Gaul. In these French stories, the narrative focus often shifts from King Arthur himself to other characters, such as various Knights of the Round Table. Arthurian literature thrived during the Middle Ages

Anne Askew ) (1521 - 16 July 1546) was an English poet and Protestant who was persecuted as a heretic. She is the only woman on record to have been tortured in the Tower of London, before being burnt at the stake. Born at Stallingborough into a notable family of Lincolnshire, she was forced by her father, Sir William Askew (1490-1541), to marry Thomas Kyme when she was just fifteen, as a substitute for her sister Martha who had recently died. Anne rebelled against her husband by refusing to adopt his surname.
The marriage did not go well, not least because of her strong Protestant beliefs. When she returned from London, where she had gone to preach against the doctrine of transubstantiation, her husband turned her out of the house. She then went again to London to ask for a divorce, justifying it from scripture (1 Corinthians, 7.15), on the grounds that her husband was not a believer.
Eventually Anne left her husband and went to London where she gave sermons and distributed Protestant books. These books had been banned and so she was arrested. Her husband was sent for and ordered to take her home to Lincolnshire. Anne soon escaped and it was not long before she was back preaching in London.
Anne was arrested again. This time, Sir Anthony Kingston, the Constable of the Tower of London, was ordered to torture Anne in an attempt to force her to name other Protestants. Anne was put on the rack. However, Kingston refused to carry on torturing her on the grounds that it was illegal to torture women and especially one from a noble family, he could no longer partake in such an abominable act. Kingston ran away from the Tower and sought a meeting with the King at his earliest convenience to explain his position and also to seek his pardon for not continuing with the torture. Henry VIII listened, pardoned but did not put an end to the torture. Instead it was now left to Henry VIII's Lord Chancellor, Thomas Wriothesley and Richard Rich, to take over.
. Askew was charged with heresy; in 1546. The young woman was imprisoned, interrogated, and tortured on the rack, in the hopes that she would implicate Parr. Askew did not break under the months of torture, although, as a result, she was too badly crippled to walk to the stake. However, it is noted that Anne still had the use of her wrists and wrote many letters to her friends during imprisonment because she wanted the truth to be known to the public about her ordeal, especially after her inevitable death. It is therefore probable that the racking experience had been lighter than usual, but it had still left Anne unable to walk.
During the ordeal, she wrote a first-person account of her ordeal and her beliefs, which was published as the Examinations by Protestant bishop John Bale, and later in John Foxe's Acts and Monuments of 1563 which proclaims her as a Protestant martyr. Several ballads were written about her in the 17th century. She was burnt at Smithfield, London in the 25th year of her age, on 16th July 1546 or, as Fuller gracefully puts it "she went to heaven in a chariot of fire."

Martin Luther (November 10, 1483 – February 18, 1546) was a German monk,[1] theologian, university professor, Father of Protestantism,[2][3][4][5] and church reformer whose ideas influenced the Protestant Reformation and changed the course of Western civilization.[6]

Luther's theology challenged the authority of the papacy by holding that the Bible is the only infallible source of religious authority[7] and that all baptized Christians under Jesus are a universal priesthood.[8] According to Luther, salvation is a free gift of God, received only by true repentance and faith in Jesus as the Messiah, a faith given by God and unmediated by the church.

At the Diet of Worms assembly over freedom of conscience in 1521, Luther's confrontation with the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and his refusal to submit to the authority of the Emperor resulted in his being excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church and being declared an outlaw of the state as a consequence.
(common prayer book)
His translation of the Bible into the vernacular of the people made the Scriptures more accessible to them, and had a tremendous political impact on the church and on German culture. It furthered the development of a standard version of the German language, added several principles to the art of translation,[9] and influenced the translation of the English King James Bible.[10] His hymns inspired the development of congregational singing within Christianity.[11] His marriage to Katharina von Bora set a model for the practice of clerical marriage within Protestantism.[12]

Julian of Norwich 1342 – c. 1416) is considered one of the greatest English mystics. Little is known of her life aside from her writings. Even her name is uncertain, the name "Julian" coming from the Church of St Julian in Norwich, where she was an anchoress, meaning that she was walled into the church behind the altar during a mass for the dead. At the age of 30, suffering from a severe illness and believing she was on her deathbed, Julian had a series of intense visions of Jesus Christ. (They ended by the time she overcame her illness on May 13, 1373.[1]) She recorded these visions soon after having them, and then again twenty years later in far more theological depth. They are the source of her major work, called Sixteen Revelations of Divine Love (circa 1393). This is believed to be the first book written by a woman in the English language.

Margery Kempe (c. 1373 – after 1438) is known for writing The Book of Margery Kempe, a work considered by some to be the first autobiography in the English language. This book chronicles, to some extent, her extensive pilgrimages to various holy sites in Europe and Asia.
Following the birth of her first child, Margery fell ill and feared for her life. After a failed confession that resulted in a bout of self-described "madness," Margery Kempe claimed to have had a vision that called her to leave aside the "vanities" of this world. Having for many weeks railed against her family, and friends, Kempe reports that she saw a vision of Jesus Christ at her bedside, asking her "Daughter, why hast thou forsaken Me, and I forsook never thee?" From that point forward, Kempe undertook two failed domestic businesses — a brewery and a grain mill — both common home-based businesses for medieval women.

Though she had tried to be more devout after her vision, she was tempted by sexual pleasures and social jealousy for some years. Eventually turning away from what she interpreted as the effect of worldly pride in her vocational choices, Kempe dedicated herself completely to the spiritual calling that she felt her earlier vision required. Striving to live a life of commitment to God, Kempe negotiated a chaste marriage with her husband, and began to make pilgrimages around Europe to holy sites — including Rome, Jerusalem, and Santiago de Compostela. The stories surrounding these travels are what eventually comprised much of her Book, although a final section includes a series of prayers. The spiritual focus of her Book is the mystical conversations she conducts with Christ for more than forty years.

Elizabeth I (7 September 1533 – 24 March 1603) was Queen of England and Queen of Ireland from 17 November 1558 until her death. Sometimes called The Virgin Queen, Gloriana, or Good Queen Bess, Elizabeth was the fifth and last monarch of the Tudor dynasty. The daughter of Henry VIII, she was born a princess, but her mother, Anne Boleyn, was executed three years after her birth, and Elizabeth was declared illegitimate. Her brother, Edward VI, cut her out of the succession. His will, however, was set aside, and in 1558 Elizabeth succeeded her half-sister, the Catholic Mary, during whose reign she had been imprisoned for nearly a year on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

Elizabeth set out to rule by good counsel,[1] and she depended heavily on a group of trusted advisers led by William Cecil, Baron Burghley. One of her first moves as queen was to support the establishment of an English Protestant church, of which she became the Supreme Governor. This Elizabethan Religious Settlement held firm throughout her reign and later evolved into today's Church of England. It was expected that Elizabeth would marry, but despite several petitions from parliament, she never did. The reasons for this choice are unknown, and they have been much debated. As she grew older, Elizabeth became famous for her virginity, and a cult grew up around her which was celebrated in the portraits, pageants and literature of the day.

In government, Elizabeth was more moderate than her father and siblings.[2] One of her mottoes was video et taceo: "I see, and say nothing".[3] This strategy, viewed with impatience by her counsellors, often saved her from political and marital misalliances. Though Elizabeth was cautious in foreign affairs and only half-heartedly supported a number of ineffective, poorly resourced military campaigns in the Netherlands, France and Ireland, the defeat of the Spanish armada in 1588 associated her name forever with what is popularly viewed as one of the greatest victories in English history. Within 20 years of her death, she was being celebrated as the ruler of a golden age, an image that retains its hold on the English people. Elizabeth's reign is known as the Elizabethan era, famous above all for the flourishing of English drama, led by playwrights such as William Shakespeare and Christopher Marlowe, and for the seafaring prowess of English adventurers such as Francis Drake and John Hawkins.

Canterbury Cathedral in Canterbury, Kent, is one of the oldest and most famous Christian structures in England and forms part of a World Heritage Site. It is the cathedral of the Archbishop of Canterbury, leader of the Church of England and the worldwide Anglican Communion. Its formal title is the Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of Christ at Canterbury.
Foundation by Augustine
The Cathedral's first Archbishop was St. Augustine of Canterbury, previously abbot of St. Andrew's Benedictine Abbey in Rome. He was sent by Pope Gregory the Great in AD 597 as a missionary to the Anglo-Saxons. Augustine founded the cathedral in 602 AD and dedicated it to St. Saviour. Archaeological investigations under the nave floor in 1993 revealed the foundations of the original Saxon Cathedral, which had been built across a former Roman road.[1]

Westminster Abbey, is a large, mainly Gothic church, in Westminster, London, just to the west of the Palace of Westminster. It is the traditional place of coronation and burial site for English and later British monarchs. It briefly held the status of a cathedral from 1546–1556, and is currently a Royal Peculiar.
According to tradition the abbey was first founded in 616 on the present site, then known as Thorn Ey (Thorn Island); its tradition of miraculous consecration after a fisherman on the River Thames saw a vision of Saint Peter justifying the presents of salmon from the Thames fishermen that the Abbey received. In the 960s or early 970s, Saint Dunstan, assisted by King Edgar, planted a community of Benedictine monks here. The stone Abbey was built around 1045–1050 by King Edward the Confessor and was later rebuilt again by Henry III in 1245, who had selected the site for his burial: it was consecrated on December 28, 1065,[1] only a week before the Confessor's death and subsequent funeral. It was the site of the last coronation prior to the Norman Invasion, that of his successor King Harold.
The Abbey became the coronation site of Norman kings, but none were buried there until Henry III, intensely devoted to the cult of the Confessor, rebuilt the Abbey in Anglo-French Gothic style as a shrine to honour St Edward the Confessor and as a suitably regal setting for Henry's own tomb, under the highest Gothic nave in England. The Confessor's shrine subsequently played a great part in his canonisation.

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle is a collection of annals in Old English chronicling the history of the Anglo-Saxons. The annals were created late in the 9th century, probably in Wessex, during the reign of Alfred the Great. Multiple manuscript copies were made and distributed to monasteries across England and were independently updated. In one case, the chronicle was still being actively updated in 1154.

Nine manuscripts survive in whole or in part, though not all are of equal historical value, and none of them is the original version. The oldest seems to have been started towards the end of Alfred's reign, while the most recent was written at Peterborough Abbey after a fire at that monastery in 1116. Almost all of the material in the chronicle is in the form of annals, by year; the earliest are dated at 60 BC, and historical material follows up to the year in which the chronicle was written, at which point contemporary records begin. These manuscripts collectively are known as the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. The Chronicle is not unbiased: there are occasions when comparison with other medieval sources makes it clear that the scribes who wrote it omitted events or told one-sided versions of stories; there are also places where the different versions contradict each other. However, taken as a whole, the Chronicle is the single most important historical source for the period in England between the departure of the Romans and the Norman Conquest. Much of the information given in the Chronicle is not recorded elsewhere. In addition, the manuscripts are important sources for the history of the English language; in particular, the later Peterborough text is one of the earliest examples of Middle English in existence. the original version was written in the late 9th century by a scribe in Wessex.[1] After the original Chronicle was compiled, copies were made and distributed to various monasteries.

The Ellesmere manuscript is an early 15th century manuscript of Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, held in the Huntington Library, in San Marino, California (MS EL 26 C 9). It is considered one of the most significant texts of the Tales.

The Ellesmere manuscript is thought to be very early in date, being written shortly after Chaucer's death. It has therefore been seen as an important source for efforts to reconstruct Chaucer's original text and intentions, though John M. Manly and Edith Rickert in their Text of the Canterbury Tales (1940) noted that whoever edited the manuscript probably made substantial revisions, tried to regularise spelling, and put the individual Tales into a smoothly running order. Up until this point the Ellesmere manuscript had been used as the 'base text' by several editions, such as that of W. W. Skeat.
The Ellesmere manuscript is a highly polished example of scribal workmanship, with a great deal of elaborate illumination and, notably, a series of illustrations of the various narrators of the Tales (including a famous one of Chaucer himself, mounted an a horse). As such, it was clearly a de luxe product, commissioned for a very wealthy patron.

The manuscript is written on fine vellum and is approximately 400mm by 284mm in size; there are 240 leaves, of which 232 contain the text of the Tales.[1] Though a single scribe was employed, the illustrations were possibly carried out by three different artists.

The manuscript's scribe has now been tentatively identified as Adam Pinkhurst, a man employed by Chaucer himself. Pinkhurst also appears to be responsible for the Hengwrt Manuscript of the Tales, now considered the earliest, most authoritative, and closest to Chaucer's holograph.[2] This would also imply, however, that the revisions seen in the Ellesmere manuscript would have been carried out by someone who had worked with Chaucer, knew his intentions for the Tales, and had access to draft materials.

The Ellesmere manuscript is conventionally referred to as El in most discussions of the Tales and their textual history.

The Exeter Book, Exeter Cathedral Library MS 3501, also known as the Codex Exoniensis, is a tenth-century book or codex which is an anthology of Anglo-Saxon poetry. It is one of the four major Anglo-Saxon literature codices. The book was donated to the library of Exeter Cathedral by Leofric, the first bishop of Exeter. It is believed originally to have contained 131 leaves, of which the first 8 have been replaced with other leaves; the original first 8 pages are lost. The Exeter Book is the largest known collection of Old English literature that exists today.

The Protestant Reformation was a reform movement in Europe that began in 1517, though its roots lie further back in time. It began with Martin Luther and may be considered to have ended with the Peace of Westphalia in 1648.[1] The movement began as an attempt to reform the Catholic Church. Many western Catholics were troubled by what they saw as false doctrines and malpractices within the Church, particularly involving the teaching and sale of indulgences. Another major contention was the practice of buying and selling church positions (simony) and what was seen at the time as considerable corruption within the Church's hierarchy. This corruption was seen by many at the time as systemic, even reaching the position of the Pope.

Martin Luther's spiritual predecessors included men such as John Wycliffe and Jan Hus, who had attempted to reform the church along similar lines, though their efforts had been largely unsuccessful. The Reformation can be said to have begun in earnest on October 31, 1517, in Wittenberg, Saxony (in present-day Germany). There, Luther nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the All Saints' Church, which served as a notice board for university-related announcements.[1] These were points for debate that criticized the Church and the Pope. The most controversial points centered on the practice of selling indulgences and the Church's policy on purgatory. Other reformers, such as Ulrich Zwingli, soon followed Luther's lead. Church beliefs and practices under attack by Protestant reformers included purgatory, particular judgment, devotion to Mary (Mariology), the intercession of and devotion to the saints, most of the sacraments, the mandatory celibacy requirement of its clergy (including monasticism), and the authority of the Pope.

The reform movement soon split along certain doctrinal lines. Spiritual disagreements between Luther and Zwingli, and later between Luther and John Calvin, led to the emergence of rival Protestant churches. The most important denominations to emerge directly from the Reformation were the Lutherans, and the Reformed/Calvinists/Presbyterians. The process of reform had decidedly different causes and effects in other countries. In England, where it gave rise to Anglicanism, the period became known as the English Reformation. Subsequent Protestant denominations generally trace their roots back to the initial reforming movements. The reformers also accelerated the Catholic or Counter Reformation within the Catholic Church. The Protestant Reformation is also referred to as the German Reformation, Protestant Revolution, Protestant Revolt, and, in Germany, as the Lutheran Reformation.
Last edited by suddensound on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:59 pm; edited 8 times in total
juan_diego
Sea Post King

sooo, I'm here!! and I am really exited, I saw their bus. I'm walking around hoping that they'll come around some corner and I'll be like OMGzzz.

I am really upset though cuz there's a big paper stuck to the door that says that no cameras or vide recorders are allowe! =[

and then next to that there's a notice saying that the concert is being photographed and or recorded?

BOYD!!! TELL THEM TO LET ME BRING MY CAMERAS IN!!!!!!!!!

juan_diego
Sea Post King

SOOO... UMM I JUST MET CHAUNTELLE.

she shook my hand. I'm trying not to be starstruck.... but I am. my hands are shaking.

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

um, apparently our radiator is leaking, and our car will explode if we drive to St. Petersburg, or something, so i can't go!

Mad

Evil or Very Mad

Crying or Very sad

unless by some crazy miracle there's another Eisley fan 'round these parts (Temple Terrace) who hasn't left for the show yet, and wants to give me a lift!

edit: we're currently figuring how just how impossible it would be to go to another show on the tour (like 99%, or 99.9%, or 99.99%, etc), and it isn't looking good! apparently North Carolina is 700 miles away? yeah…

maybe i could hitch a ride with Eisley? Wink

although, they're probably not even sort of coming through here…

edit 2: so it's now been officially determined that it's 100% impossible for me to see Eisley on this tour! i'll go cry now…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
kellitree
Sea Post King

best show i ever went to..

nice to meet you JUANN.

we had fun dancing and singing our faces off!

juan_diego
Sea Post King

kellitree wrote:

nice to meet you JUANN.

nice to meet you too Kelli!! I had an amazing time, thnks for showing me the ropes!

the show was soooo amazing, I was in the very front, I got to meet the entire band, both before and after the show. Stacy gave me a BIG hug, and during their set they personally thanked me for bringing them their Starbucks Double Shots.

I can't wait for another tour so I can do it all over again.

yesterday was the best day of my life.

kellitree
Sea Post King

juan_diego wrote:
kellitree wrote:

nice to meet you JUANN.

nice to meet you too Kelli!! I had an amazing time, thnks for showing me the ropes!

the show was soooo amazing, I was in the very front, I got to meet the entire band, both before and after the show. Stacy gave me a BIG hug, and during their set they personally thanked me for bringing them their Starbucks Double Shots.

I can't wait for another tour so I can do it all over again.

yesterday was the best day of my life.

haha it was the best day of my life too!!!

stacy said she is gonna hang my painting someplace important.

thats pretty rad.

Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

Did you do the mr. pine painting? That one is my favorite painting ever.
superhits
Sea Post King

juan_diego wrote:
I'M GOING!!! and this is not only my 1st Eisley concert but its actually my 1st concert ever, so I'm twice as exited!

are you the guy who gave the band starbucks doubleshots? i think you handed me a sharpie for chauntelle to sign my set list.