Laughing City
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

I know I'm old and out of touch... (my 9 year-old , Samantha lets me know and generally clues me in on these new-fangled things, but she's out of town this weekend...). I loved Sherri's post and the photos, but what exactly is Bubble Tea- and where do you get it?

signed, sadly uncool middle-aged Eisley fan / AKA : clueless Dad

Terebinthia
Vintage Newbie

I was wondering the same thing when I saw Sherri's post.

http://www.bubbleteasupply.com/index.php?page=what.html

Smile

Commentary on creepy online men who use fake photos of girly Fabiosos to get the ladies:

"The longer my hair gets, the more sexy I have" - Jamie M.
Joined: 10 Jan 2005 | Posts: 3967 | Location: In between here and there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

here, you can see bubble teas every corner of the streets. since, it's summer here in Philippines(as in like freakin' freakin' hot), yes everyone's having it. i love the round gummy jelly in my mouth. we call it "sago" i dont know what do you call that in states.

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
nerdcorex0
Sea Post King

bubble tea is only one of the most refreshing summer treats (next to coconut water! yumm) its basically the "tea" (i say this because its not the tea your grandma drinks. its like sort of milky and cold and delicious) of your choice with giant tapioca balls on the bottom that you drink/chew simultaneously with your "tea". though sometimes the tapioca gives me a belly ache its totally worth it. try it!! or makes it yo'self!

creation is salvation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tim Kim
Sea Post King

I shall enlighten you on what it is.

The black gummy things are tapioca. Those are put into blended drinks such as a milk tea (which is exactly what the name suggests) or fruit smoothies. I am not sure which country it originated in but it also has the name, "boba." My guess either Japan, Korea, China, or another asian country.

You drink it through a straw that is thick enough for the boba (tapioca) to pass through.. though, I am not a fan of milk tea (or the rather odd assorted of drinks to combo with tapioca) but I do like it with a blended smoothie.

There you go, milk tea in a nut shell.

change is happening.
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 | Posts: 305 | Location: Sacramento, Caluhfournia
WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

ahh i remember.. it called boba.. yeah thanks for the enlightenment!

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
4th Month of the Year
Lost at Forum

We call them pearls. Very Happy I like seeing Lost At Forum under my name.
emilytheanteater
Sea Post King

pearls, boba, bubbles, tapioca, gummies, same diff. but yeah, it basically just a milk tea drink with little black chewy lumps in it. but nowadays tea places have gotten fancy w/ their tea drinks and can just put the pearls in practically any drink u want!
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

I hate bubble tea, bleh. The bubbles are chewy, like rubber.

I like smoothies with coco jellies Smile You can get those at bubble tea places. I got a free one last night Wink

Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

Sounds like what we in the sadly uninformed Midwest call "Chai" tea (herbed tea with milk) mixed with Tapioca... got it Smile Unfortunately, here in the midwest (Ohio) , trends, fads, and fashions that start on either coast generally take a while to filter "inland" to the rest of us! I'll have to try bubblke tea- it sounds good! I'm a tea drinker (never liked coffee...) and I love tapioca! Sounds like it was made for me..!

Thanks, Sherri for enlightening us ( clueless ME Wink ) !

do_your_best_to_hear_me
Sea Post King

i had no idea what it was either.. eisley obviously didnt try this "treat" in south texas where i am. thanks for giving us the lowdown on the drink,
but i think im gonna stick with my vanilla chai latte from starbucks... Smile
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

It's an Asian thing -- basically flavored (or unflavored) tea with tapioca. I personally love it and have had it all my life... occassionally, I walk around with it and people tell me it looks disgusting. But.. it's so good.. so.. their loss.
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

golly_sandra wrote:
It's an Asian thing -- basically flavored (or unflavored) tea with tapioca. I personally love it and have had it all my life... occassionally, I walk around with it and people tell me it looks disgusting. But.. it's so good.. so.. their loss.
it's completely delicious. people are stupid.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sings in the Morning
Sea Post King

Dan and Sam wrote:
Unfortunately, here in the midwest, trends, fads, and fashions that start on either coast generally take a while to filter "inland" to the rest of us!

Tell me about it. It kinda sucks sometimes doesn't it?

-----------------------------------------

God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him.
--Jim Elliot

------------------------------------------

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
-- Helen Keller
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

Dan and Sam wrote:
Sounds like what we in the sadly uninformed Midwest call "Chai" tea (herbed tea with milk) mixed with Tapioca... got it Smile

it's not quite the same. chai is a middle eastern black tea spiced w/black pepper, cardomon, etc. and it's usually served hot. Bubble Tea is usually served chilled and flavored(like, with syrups, as opposed to spiced.). It's more on par with an iced vanilla latte, except, instead of the espresso, it's tea.

i hate the "pearls". when i first got it i wasnt sure if they were edible or not. i ate them anyway.

goto page
 | next >>