Laughing City
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I shall try to be brief but the magic dust cast upon me last night still swims through the system.

My first Eisley show and it was everything I expected and hoped, and then some. I have been to many concerts over the years, but I don't think 80 minutes has ever flown by as quickly. Part of the reason is that since all their songs are so good, it's like hearing a continuous stream of greatest should-be-hits and you're never waiting for a clunker to end. What also struck me was the POWER behind some of the songs. The recorded version of 'A Sight to Behold' doesn't even compare to the tribal thunder behind Weston's beating of the skins. 'Mr. Pine,' long a personal favorite, soars in epic fashion. This, kiddies, was a rock show!

There was a technical fault midway through ODISFA, cutting out all vocals. Sherri announced, "We're too hot for the P.A. I guess." After some good-natured banter, the crowd persuaded Stacy to play "Just Like We Do" through Sherri's still-active monitor with Chauntelle's acoustic, an impromptu performance that delighted everyone.

The crowd was smallish (I estimate about 120) but enthusiastic - Boyd commented afterwards on how the cheering between songs really pumped the band up. And in typically polite midwestern fashion, once the cheering abated there was very little chatter - these people showed up for the SHOW and not to talk idly all through it. I love that about crowds around here. Sherri noticed that trait and remarked, "Y'all are so quiet!" During the break at the next song, after the cheering dwindled again to silence, I quipped, "We're quiet because we're in awe," which caused Sherri to laugh, say "Thank you!" with a smile, and almost miss her cue for the start of 'Combinations.' Smile

After the show I had a great time chatting with Jamie, Sully, and Nora from the board, as well as Boyd and meeting Chauntelle, Stacy, and Garron at Java Joe's next door. Good coffee draws DuPrees like a magnet! Boyd said - and I *believe* he was talking about this show, correct me if I'm wrong - an acquaintance of his was there who has been in the music biz since 1971 (and had seen Bowie on his first US tour to give some perspective) and thought Eisley just delivered the third best show he'd ever seen. If that's not a compliment, I don't know what is! So suffice for me to say the show was fantastic, the band people and board people were great, and the memories will last forever. Thank you all.

Vedera

The Myriad

Eisley

perfect timing

ya gotta love the bow tie!
Last edited by grain thrower on Tue May 06, 2008 6:31 am; edited 6 times in total
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

great look by Garron

Sherri is so enraputred when she sings

when the PA goes out, it's Stacy to the rescue!
[/b]
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

mural inside, not the best angle to shoot from

the bar area. thank you, sign, for allowing me to avoid smelling like a factory chimney afterwards

Nora & Boyd

Boyd at the entrance to Vaudeville Mews
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Sully & Boyd

Nora's dad, Jamie, and a chunk of Sully

Garron looking street punk

me with Chauntelle & Stacy (Sully, I owe you big for snapping this one!)

lurve this one!

i like the gesturing going on - 80% of communication is nonverbal you know

19-step program to cure all ills. in reality they omitted SunFeet and played Just Like We Do after ODISFA
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

What did The Myraid drummer play with those mallets? They look like tiny bass drum mallets.

Also, sombody's pittin' out, Cool

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

who wouldn't be? Smile

it looks like he's beating the hell outta the drummer for missing time, but he's actually pounding on what I think is an inverted bass drum. if they play the same set each time, it's during their final song.
parrishdup
Sea Post King

Awww, I miss Garron these days.

Chants *Only two and a half more weeks, Only two and a half more weeks...*

By the way, thanks for the pics

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:

wow chauntelle looks juke like stacy in this one!

DRMS_7888 wrote:
What did The Myraid drummer play with those mallets? They look like tiny bass drum mallets.

Yeah he was slamming this bass drum. It was awsome.

here is my camera trying to capture the same action at the chicago show.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
norad
Vintage Newbie

Oh look. It's me and Boyd! Laughing
davegahan
Sea Post King

I too was at the show in Des Moines last night and I have to give major props to the band for a job well done!
I’ve been a fan since I saw them open for Mute Math and have now seen them 3x (Omaha, Lawrence).
Eisley have climbed into the ranks of my all time favorite bands/artists as well as my “top 25 most played” songs/artists on my ipod.
I have the utmost respect for their talent as artists and as individuals for their steadfast beliefs. I proudly spread the Eisley “word” to my friends and co-workers and sport their swag every opportunity I get.

That being said, I’ll give my 2 cents worth on the show…

First things, the positive…

- All their songs are brilliant and powerful and RAWK live – indeed. Only wishing we could have heard my personal fav - Head Against the Sky.
- The crowd was very attentive and respectful (probably in part to the younger, non drinking crowd) and supportive. The positive vibe was welcomed.
- the venue had very good sound - aside from the mishap.

Now on to the positive criticism (not complaints, just observations done in love):

- While the band are extremely talented and play well live – hitting all the right notes and sounding very much like their slickly produced albums – they lack some in the stage presence area.
Aside from Sherri’s animated spirit, the rest of the band seem to act as if there’s a distinct wall between them and the audience – not looking people in the eye very much but instead looking over the heads of the audience – a well taught public speaking ploy.
Maybe this is because of nervousness?
Trying to stay focused?
It shouldn’t be with their pedigree and experience. Or maybe they are just letting the music speak for itself? That’s fine if that’s the case – some people don’t care if a band develops a repertoire or connection with the fans during a show – they just want to hear the songs – but most people want that live “connection” that I feel Eisley is lacking a bit on.

- The “photo shoot”. This was extremely annoying to say the least. While I know its peoples right and privilege to bring their cameras into shows that allow them – this was the WORST show I’ve ever been at for photog’s. At one point my friend in the balcony counted 25 cameras in use. And I’m not just talking about people with their little point and shoot digitals, I’m talking about the “pro’s” with their high end cameras taking seemingly hundreds of shots from every conceivable angle.

People please – we paid to see/hear a concert – we’re not at a red carpet extravaganza and you’re not paparazzi! (I think). Holding up your arms with cameras, squeezing through people in the crowd so you can have a better angle, and getting in people’s way (not to mention getting ridiculously close to the girls and their instruments) is just not good etiquette. (maybe this is why the band seemed a little awkward on stage – I would feel awkward too, even violated if I had cameras inches from my face and flashes going off in my eyes the whole time.)
A good friend of mine is a freelance concert photographer in LA who has shot a long list of big name acts is always telling me how important good etiquette and respect for others is when shooting live shows.

While I’m appreciative of the shots I’ve seen posted on here and other places, I’m taken aback by the AMOUNT of pictures that were taken – they spent the WHOLE show taking pictures – which makes me wonder at what the real reason was they were there, because it seemed like they didn’t care about the music as much as proving what good photographers they were.
If you want to be a rock show/concert photographer – those jobs are out there – and when you get those gigs you’ll realize that you are only allowed to photograph during the first 2 or 3 songs – then those people are ushered out of there. Maybe this is a policy that Eisley could incorporate in the future?
It would be a huge benefit for the fans who came to have an unobstructed, unobtrusive view – not to mention the shorter fans who made up a large part of the audience last night.
Not trying to offend anyone but in the future, please respect and think of those around you.

That being said…
Great show, great people, and good times!
Looking forward to the next time I get to see them live!
norad
Vintage Newbie

Rolling Eyes

I think people just enjoy photographing the band. I think I took like...300 photos.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I don't really mind photography at shows as long as

1. no flash

2. not bumping into people and screaming at the band for a shot

People screaming wildly and clapping excessively is far more annoying. I came to hear music, not people scream like maniacs. I have fond memories of that video when Jesse came on stage and sang with Eisley during the Brand New tour.

However, photography during classical/art music shows is super frustrating. There is nothing quite as intrusive as huge shutters slamming and constant clicks to throw off a musician's poise.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

I'm really jealous you guys got to see Just Like We Do! It's my roomate's favorite song and the show we went to was on her birthday and her present from me so it would have been perfect :/
katiemae
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:

It was actually one of the guitar players playing a rather large (bass?) drum. You can barely see the true drummer next to him in the picture. Both were playing the drums for the last song, and it rocked!
Joined: 26 Dec 2007 | Posts: 26 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD
ync
Golly, Poster

i grabbed a shot of him playin the drums with the drummer from the side in boston, a bit blurry but...oh well

it was wicked awesome, i especially loved when the drummer actually threw the mallots at him and he caught them perfectly making it allllll the better

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink