Laughing City
ashstars
Sea Post King

I've never really heard much mention of the pumpkins from sherri or the others. I did a quick search and found a super old interview from the MOSS eisley days that mentioned them......

PT: Which discs from the shared Dupree Family CD case get played most on the road?

SD: Right now? All Radiohead discs, both Coldplay discs, Midlake, Kent, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Flaming Lips, Travis, Avril Lavigne (you think I'm joking)...over the summer, it was all the above plus Jimmy Eat World, Ben Folds, Smashing Pumpkins, Sunny Day Real Estate and many others.

http://www.tollbooth.org/2003/features/mosseisley.html

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I think it would be kind of silly to consider it not possible for the Pumpkins to have some kind of influence on Eisley. They're not really far off from Sunny Day Real Estate genre-wise, and they have a wide range of styles from basically heavy metal to dreamy acoustic pop.

I also like how Eisley have the ability to be influenced by bands (notably SDRE) without sounding like they ripped them off.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I think it would be kind of silly to consider it not possible for the Pumpkins to have some kind of influence on Eisley. They're not really far off from Sunny Day Real Estate genre-wise, and they have a wide range of styles from basically heavy metal to dreamy acoustic pop.

I also like how Eisley have the ability to be influenced by bands (notably SDRE) without sounding like they ripped them off.

good thing you brought up SDRE. for whatever reason i have been listening to SDRE a lot lately. if i recall at the time The Rising Tide wasn't that well received - i see Pitchfork didn't rate it that well - but it is a very good album imho.

i saw them on The Rising Tour twice and those were my first 'real' concerts back in 2000. some of the DuPrees were there at the Dallas show as well. i took a few pics with a disposable camera (digital cameras weren't as popular back then even) and i believe the back of Boyd's head is in one shot. i met Jeremy in the back of the venue and took a picture with him afterwards.

i can't remember really what they played other than i remember them starting with one of the tom heavy songs from TRT, either Fool in the Photograph or Disappear.

for whatever reason something about Enigk's stuff afterwards has seemed too saccharine to me (i wouldn't think it as simple as no longer working with the SDRE guitarist, Dan Hoerner), but i think i want to check out his post SDRE solo stuff anyways.

Kosmonaut
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
The Marked?

ne'er 'eard of 'em.

i remember liking every single song on Mellon Collie except that one screaming distorted one on disc 2.

i wish he'd do a whole album like the last 3rd or 4th or so of Disc 2. almost Vaudevillian or whatnot. a whole different side that i don't think he showed before......or since?

i never got around to getting that Aeroplane Flies High box. i remember seeing it at Circuit City back in the day. should have bought it.

Firstly, the song is "Tales of a Scorched Earth" that you refer to...and I totally agree, it is the toughest listen on the entire album, but a completely necessary track.

Also, I ended up obtaining the Aeroplane Flied High box set at Value Village for $50...it merely contains extended versions of all the singles from Mellon Collie along with a bunch of B-Sides from the 666 Sessions (which includes a plethora of Iha songs that rule!). Worth getting if you ever see it again.
Joined: 28 Feb 2007 | Posts: 21 | Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

Kosmonaut wrote:
bigideas wrote:
The Marked?

ne'er 'eard of 'em.

i remember liking every single song on Mellon Collie except that one screaming distorted one on disc 2.

i wish he'd do a whole album like the last 3rd or 4th or so of Disc 2. almost Vaudevillian or whatnot. a whole different side that i don't think he showed before......or since?

i never got around to getting that Aeroplane Flies High box. i remember seeing it at Circuit City back in the day. should have bought it.

Firstly, the song is "Tales of a Scorched Earth" that you refer to...and I totally agree, it is the toughest listen on the entire album, but a completely necessary track.

Also, I ended up obtaining the Aeroplane Flied High box set at Value Village for $50...it merely contains extended versions of all the singles from Mellon Collie along with a bunch of B-Sides from the 666 Sessions (which includes a plethora of Iha songs that rule!). Worth getting if you ever see it again.

The AFH box set is totally worth the money. We got my sister's in the store, and my off of ebay for totally cheap. If you guys are lucky enough to find the Mashed Potatoes Box set prepare to have your socks blown off; it's jammed pack with bootlegs and whatnot.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Kylee Janai wrote:
If you guys are lucky enough to find the Mashed Potatoes Box set prepare to have your socks blown off; it's jammed pack with bootlegs and whatnot.

It's currently seeded on the ZOMB tracker, if you're into the torrenting thing. I started listening to it, and yeah...whoa. Shocked

reflectedxglory
Sea Post King

ashstars wrote:
I've never really heard much mention of the pumpkins from sherri or the others. I did a quick search and found a super old interview from the MOSS eisley days that mentioned them......

PT: Which discs from the shared Dupree Family CD case get played most on the road?

SD: Right now? All Radiohead discs, both Coldplay discs, Midlake, Kent, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Flaming Lips, Travis, Avril Lavigne (you think I'm joking)...over the summer, it was all the above plus Jimmy Eat World, Ben Folds, Smashing Pumpkins, Sunny Day Real Estate and many others.

http://www.tollbooth.org/2003/features/mosseisley.html

thanks for posting the interview, it's always interestingto go back and read old articles especially ones i have never read before.

smashing pumpkins will alwys remind me of good memories and i will forver love them to death.

Hilary Duff cover!! yessss...

Kimbrtones wrote:
See what interesting things I can make you people do? Laughing
This thread has gotten quite amusing but.....my lips are sealed.

On Chauntelle:
Kimbrtones wrote:
wow guys! She's not Jesus! Smile
But she is awfully sweet, and kind hearted.
Joined: 11 Mar 2005 | Posts: 489 | Location: orlando,fl,usa
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

"When we look back at the videos of these shows, it was pretty scary...pretty silly."

all right, Boyd, put 'em up... Very Happy

giant_
Laughing Citizen

Kosmonaut wrote:
bigideas wrote:
The Marked?

ne'er 'eard of 'em.

Heck yeah! The Iha songs rock. My favourite part of the boxset are the Iha songs on the 1979 single.

The Boy

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

giant_ wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
bigideas wrote:
The Marked?

ne'er 'eard of 'em.

Heck yeah! The Iha songs rock. My favourite part of the boxset are the Iha songs on the 1979 single.

The Boy

i know he put out some solo albums after the Pumpkins.
did you like those?

Kosmonaut
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
giant_ wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
bigideas wrote:
The Marked?

ne'er 'eard of 'em.

The Boy

did you like those?

He put out a Zwan album, "Mary Star of the Sea"...which is essentially a super-poppy medium between Siamese Dream and a few of the gentler songs on Machina. Some very catchy tunes, but I could never really get into the album as much as the earlier Pumpkins works. However, later, Corgan put out his only solo album to date, "The Future Embrace", which most people didn't even give the time of day, due to their bitterness about the Pumpkins and the previous disappointment with Zwan...I, on the other hand, really loved the record. It is definitely not a Pumpkins album, but a lot of it reminds me a lot of Adore, mainly because all the songs have very similar arrangements, which are predominantly electronic. Lyrically, it is definitely a lot less personal than most Pumpkins albums. Instead, its very imagistic and abstract. From what I understand, all of the lyrics on the album were written through stream of consciousness. Like I said, don't give it a listen thinking that it is going to be anything like a Pumpkins album, but definitely give it a listen...you might really dig it!

P.S. There was a really cool and artsy video called "The Future Embrace" that contains excerpts from the album mixed with an interview with Corgan that came out around the same time as the album. Worth checking out too.

-Brent W
Joined: 28 Feb 2007 | Posts: 21 | Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
giant_ wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
bigideas wrote:
The Marked?

ne'er 'eard of 'em.

The Boy

did you like those?

Are you talking about James Iha? He, too, put out some solo music. It's alright. I have his albums, but it's not something I can listen to all the time. I have to be in the mood for "James Iha".
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i was talking about Iha.
according to the 'ever faithful' wiki it's possible there is a new Iha solo album on the horizon.

giant_
Laughing Citizen

I never got Iha's solo album, I'm acquiring it now digitally Shocked
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

James sings like Big Bird. Laughing

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>