Laughing City
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
Is there anything functionally wrong with it, or are you just giving it an aesthetic makeover?

There were a few little things mechanically wrong with it but I have fixed them. 2 of the keys on the lower register were sticking, and a few of the hammers on the high register weren't lined up with the tine, so when I played those keys the hammers weren't striking anything, therefore making no sound. But like I said, I have fixed all of that and it sounds great. So now it'll just be a cosmetic makeover.

mine needs some work. how did you know what to do to it?
i'm paranoid i'll make it worse somehow, and it's not like you can go to the local music store and find replacement parts. mine is an 88 suitcase.

juan_diego
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
juan_diego wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
Is there anything functionally wrong with it, or are you just giving it an aesthetic makeover?

There were a few little things mechanically wrong with it but I have fixed them. 2 of the keys on the lower register were sticking, and a few of the hammers on the high register weren't lined up with the tine, so when I played those keys the hammers weren't striking anything, therefore making no sound. But like I said, I have fixed all of that and it sounds great. So now it'll just be a cosmetic makeover.

mine needs some work. how did you know what to do to it?
i'm paranoid i'll make it worse somehow, and it's not like you can go to the local music store and find replacement parts. mine is an 88 suitcase.

you just gotta try to figure out exactly what the problem is and then figure out what is causing the problem by proccess of eleimination so you can fix it.

For example: 2 of my keys were sticking because the felt under them had become unglued and it was getting jammed in the guide pin when I depressed the key. So, I ripped off the felt and glued it back on properly.

The Tines not lining up with the hammers was because over time the screws holding the harp to the harp support had become loose and the harphad moved to the side a little, so I moved it back and tightened the screws.

You just have to have a little know-how, tools, and patience.

What going wrong with your Rhodes?

sootandstars
Sea Post King

I am so entertained by reading all this keyboard lingo that I don't understand AT ALL, but am enjoying thoroughly.
And congrats on it, looking forward to some youtube videos of you playing it Smile

Look each other in the eye
juan_diego
Sea Post King

sootandstars wrote:
I am so entertained by reading all this keyboard lingo that I don't understand AT ALL, but am enjoying thoroughly.
And congrats on it, looking forward to some youtube videos of you playing it Smile

haha, I'm still learning some of the lingo myself. Mostly gear lingo, the guy I bought it from didn't include an amp so I still gotta get one. I'm trying to learn the difference between solid-state amps, tube amps, and PA systems, and which would get the best sound out of my Rhodes. I'm clueless in that department! =/

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:

i've been talking with Kappa962 about it and he referred me to a Rhodes site to address the problem.

my main problem right now is the amp. there are also some keys - especially at the high and low ends that aren't playing right.

so you didn't actually need to replace any parts, just adjust them?

juan_diego
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
juan_diego wrote:

i've been talking with Kappa962 about it and he referred me to a Rhodes site to address the problem.

my main problem right now is the amp. there are also some keys - especially at the high and low ends that aren't playing right.

nope, I haven't had to replace any parts thankfully. But if I did need to, or you need to www.speakeasyvintagemusic.com has every part you could ever need.

Did Kappa reffer you to the Rhodes super-site (www.fenderrhodes.com)? That website is sooooo gravy! an excellent source of information on all things Rhodes. my username on there is sea_king! haha.

If your amp isn't working right, I really wouldn't be able to tell you what may potentially be wrong with it as I know NOTHING about amps, but I can tell you that you don't have to run your Rhodes through the suitcase amp that came with it, you could always use and external amp or PA system.

As for the keys that don't play right, maybe bad pickups?

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
bigideas wrote:
juan_diego wrote:

nope, I haven't had to replace any parts thankfully. But if I did need to, or you need to www.speakeasyvintagemusic.com has every part you could ever need.

Did Kappa reffer you to the Rhodes super-site (www.fenderrhodes.com)? That website is sooooo gravy! an excellent source of information on all things Rhodes. my username on there is sea_king! haha.

If your amp isn't working right, I really wouldn't be able to tell you what may potentially be wrong with it as I know NOTHING about amps, but I can tell you that you don't have to run your Rhodes through the suitcase amp that came with it, you could always use and external amp or PA system.

yes, that site.
i have recorded it before going direct to my mixer and then to my computer. i don't know if i've tried it since the amp seemed to have died. i don't play it often. it's so huge and heavy. i actually leave the top on and pile junk on it. Sad i couldn't imagine having to haul it around to gigs.

magiugacire
Sea Post King

Wow, that's so cool!

I really want the Yamaha Motif 8.

juan_diego
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
juan_diego wrote:
bigideas wrote:
juan_diego wrote:

yes, that site.
i have recorded it before going direct to my mixer and then to my computer. i don't know if i've tried it since the amp seemed to have died. i don't play it often. it's so huge and heavy. i actually leave the top on and pile junk on it. Sad i couldn't imagine having to haul it around to gigs.

haha, my Stage 73 weighs around 150lbs. I can't even begin to imagine how much a Suitcase 88 weighs.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:

haha, my Stage 73 weighs around 150lbs. I can't even begin to imagine how much a Suitcase 88 weighs.

i don't know, but when i got it i was still at my apartment in college......on the second floor. at least the keyboard is not physically attached to the amp - it just sits on top. still, very very heavy.

Joshmess
Golly, Poster

you should make it more original instead of copying stacy's. if you want to make it an eisley rhodes then paint it a dark green and then have some gold up on there.

i personally like it better black.. maybe just fix up all the riped sides and the other damaged parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
juan_diego
Sea Post King

Joshmess wrote:
you should make it more original instead of copying stacy's. if you want to make it an eisley rhodes then paint it a dark green and then have some gold up on there.

i personally like it better black.. maybe just fix up all the riped sides and the other damaged parts

well I'm not really going for originallity on this so I don't really think of it as copying Stacy's Rhodes, though one could argue that's what I'm basically what I'm doing. I think of it like a tribute to Stacy's Rhodes since she no longer tours with it and a lot of people miss it.

I've already removed all of the black vinyl and will be purchasing the white on Friday.

I don't think I could do the whole green. gold thing since I absolutely HATE gold.

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
Joshmess wrote:

well I'm not really going for originallity on this so I don't really think of it as copying Stacy's Rhodes, though one could argue that's what I'm basically what I'm doing. I think of it like a tribute to Stacy's Rhodes since she no longer tours with it and a lot of people miss it.

I've already removed all of the black vinyl and will be purchasing the white on Friday.

I don't think I could do the whole green. gold thing since I absolutely HATE gold.

you hate gold? i LOVE gold.

here's a picture of my 1972 Mark I 73 key stage piano:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohdeeryme/2362631021/

i glued some fabric to the cover on a whim one day before a show, and it's been there ever since.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

cyn, do you have a picture that shows more of the Rhodes?
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
cyn, do you have a picture that shows more of the Rhodes?

I uploaded these just for you:

One key is chipped, i love it.

Some people like to see this?

In it's entirety (in my room)

Right now it's sitting on a keyboard stand, which has broken under the weight 3 times now, and I have to weld it together... I have the original screw in legs somewhere in San Luis Obispo I think. If my old bandmates haven't lost them yet Rolling Eyes

I use a vox AC15CC amp. it works pretty well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohdeeryme/

Last edited by cynlovescandy on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>