Laughing City
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
i just hope heavy and agressive don't equal pop punky stuff.

i'm pretty sure she means they're MossEisley-type style. Many Funerals is closer to that sound but it shows that they've grown, musically. i've been hooked on their Moss EP songs recently.

i think they should pull out Pretender on the next tour so Chauntelle can totally rock it out. i love it.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

sukieinthe_g wrote:
bigideas wrote:

Me neither. I can't help but feel like they're trying really really hard to move away from their original influences (Radiohead, The Beatles, etc.) and sound more like bands such as Say Anything, New Found Glory, Brand New........ Confused Maybe even, dare I say it, Paramore. It's like their trying to fit in with a new crowd.

i haven't actually heard any new music that sounds like they're going in that direction, so i wouldn't agree with that statement, just saying i hope they don't go that direction. i really don't think they will though.

i wish boyd would put up some brief clips of demos, even if it's just like a minute clip of snippets of a few songs - just something.

correct me if i'm wrong, but no new songs have been debuted live since Combinations was released, right?

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
sukieinthe_g wrote:
bigideas wrote:

Me neither. I can't help but feel like they're trying really really hard to move away from their original influences (Radiohead, The Beatles, etc.) and sound more like bands such as Say Anything, New Found Glory, Brand New........ Confused Maybe even, dare I say it, Paramore. It's like their trying to fit in with a new crowd.

i haven't actually heard any new music that sounds like they're going in that direction, so i wouldn't agree with that statement, just saying i hope they don't go that direction. i really don't think they will though.

i wish boyd would put up some brief clips of demos, even if it's just like a minute clip of snippets of a few songs - just something.

correct me if i'm wrong, but no new songs have been debuted live since Combinations was released, right?

as far as i know, you are correct. i agree that they should give us some teasers and wet our whistles with the Eisley fountain of music and make us keep on comin' back for more. mmhmm.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
magiugacire
Sea Post King

So is there no such thing as a fast love song?
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

If you're talking about one song with Stacy playing guitar with C&S, then that would be pretty cool. Not that there's any danger of her moving from piano, but for this discussion's sake I'll chime in that her place in the band is perfect. Her piano/key parts are integral to their songs and their sound, I credit her with creating the finest song-serving piano sections in modern pop/rock/whateva music. Before I heard Eisley, for years I was hearing piano used mainly as an introspective solo tool or as melancholic color, and Stacy brought back the playful and melodic side of the instrument which came as a refreshing return to what I enjoy most about it.

However I would totally go for the lute trio too. Very Happy

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
If you're talking about one song with Stacy playing guitar with C&S, then that would be pretty cool. Not that there's any danger of her moving from piano, but for this discussion's sake I'll chime in that her place in the band is perfect. Her piano/key parts are integral to their songs and their sound, I credit her with creating the finest song-serving piano sections in modern pop/rock/whateva music. Before I heard Eisley, for years I was hearing piano used mainly as an introspective solo tool or as melancholic color, and Stacy brought back the playful and melodic side of the instrument which came as a refreshing return to what I enjoy most about it.

However I would totally go for the lute trio too. Very Happy

When you can hear them (which I wish was much more often). The only time you can ever actually hear Stacy playing is on very specific riffs (lots of Rhodes/synth stuff like POP, MT, ODISFA). You can see her playing a lot (especially live), but you can barely hear it. I'd like to hear a truly piano driven Eisley song. The instrumentation gets pretty thick when you have three chordal instruments all playing blocked chords.

In the battle of timbres, guitars always seem to beat piano in the same frequency and dynamic range.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
alinicole
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:

I'd like to hear a truly piano driven Eisley song.

I definitely agree with this.

Miss Pine
Golly, Poster

golly_sandra wrote:
To be quite honest, I prefer the softer/lighter songs rather than their "heavier" stuff. But I guess it's good that they're switching up their style and playing a bit of everything.

I agree completely. Many Funerals is not one of my favs.

guitargirl wrote:
gundamit wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
Caravaggio? Love
Apparently. I was just searching for a pic of a women with a lute. But according to Wikipedia ... its a guy ... a castrato? Tough way to make a living, even in the 16th century. Shocked

Caravaggio was an Italian artist, one of my favorites from studying art history. He liked to paint musicians, as you can see!
These two are my favorites of his.

Love Caravaggio = fuhreaking awesome.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
grain thrower wrote:
If you're talking about one song with Stacy playing guitar with C&S, then that would be pretty cool.

When you can hear them (which I wish was much more often). The only time you can ever actually hear Stacy playing is on very specific riffs (lots of Rhodes/synth stuff like POP, MT, ODISFA). You can see her playing a lot (especially live), but you can barely hear it. I'd like to hear a truly piano driven Eisley song.

Yeah, I was really surprised when I watched those Kansas live videos because I heard more of Stacy's playing.

IWP doesn't count as truly piano driven?

norad
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
I was really surprised when I watched those Kansas live videos because I heard more of Stacy's playing.

Well it was plugged into the sound board. It didn't sound like that, actually.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
grain thrower wrote:
If you're talking about one song with Stacy playing guitar with C&S, then that would be pretty cool.

When you can hear them (which I wish was much more often). The only time you can ever actually hear Stacy playing is on very specific riffs (lots of Rhodes/synth stuff like POP, MT, ODISFA). You can see her playing a lot (especially live), but you can barely hear it. I'd like to hear a truly piano driven Eisley song.

Yeah, I was really surprised when I watched those Kansas live videos because I heard more of Stacy's playing.

IWP doesn't count as truly piano driven?

Yeah, a lot of their songs are piano driven.
I can hear it just fine.

I like their heavier sounding stuff.
Head Against the Sky, Many Funerals, A Sight to Behold.
I don't think any of those sound pop punk.
I'm sure whatever direction they go in is going to sound great.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
grain thrower wrote:
Her piano/key parts are integral to their songs and their sound

When you can hear them (which I wish was much more often). The only time you can ever actually hear Stacy playing is on very specific riffs (lots of Rhodes/synth stuff like POP, MT, ODISFA). You can see her playing a lot (especially live), but you can barely hear it. I'd like to hear a truly piano driven Eisley song. The instrumentation gets pretty thick when you have three chordal instruments all playing blocked chords.

In the battle of timbres, guitars always seem to beat piano in the same frequency and dynamic range.

A fair point, keys are less prominent on Combinations than Room Noises, although I think they feature more frequently on RN than you indicate. I too was struck hearing the "extra" piano parts in the Lawrence video on Come Clean, really cool. So yeah, somebody turn Stacy up more often! A piano ballad in the Golly Sandra/10-Cent Blues vein would be spesh. Actually, 10-Cent does sound more that way live.

bigideas, I'd call IWP piano driven, and I'd throw Go Away in there too as it forms the main riff and the guitars drop out completely during the verses.

ks1990
Lost at Forum

Yes! I really hope they incorporate more of the piano into their new songs. It's true, most times it's quite hard to hear when they play live. But if they're going for a heavier style then, that's cool too.
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

I WANT A TEN MINUTE EISLEY SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seansy
Sea Post King

I want to hear Chauntelle's song Very Happy .
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death