Laughing City

What do I do?
Take the job!
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
Find something else!
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
Just sell all your worldly possessions and be a bum!
29%
 29%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 31

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

So I lost my job earlier this month. I've been looking for something comparable with very little success--middle Tennessee's job market is the suck right now and everything within a thirty mile radius will involve a pay cut, really bad hours, or part time with no benefits. And I would take any of those if people would just respond to my e-mails, but that's a whole different story.

I landed a temp job that starts tomorrow and goes over the weekend and will pay my bills for this month, which is great. And the guy handling my opportunities at the temp place said he's got another opening that starts in the middle of the month and goes through December and they'll be hiring people permanently based on performance then. It's 40 hours a week in Nashville (I've made that commute before and I can handle it) and it pays $11.00 an hour, which is pretty much unheard-of in this place. There is absolutely no doubt I would be able to find anything that could pay that much, and the only way I will be able to go on that U.K. honeymoon I want to take next spring is if I get this job right away.

The problem is that it's in a call center. It's inbound only, and the company deals with people who have been denied medication and are submitting appeals for it. Now, there are only a few kinds of job opportunities that I tend to reject outright, and one of them is call centers. My best friend worked at a T-Mobile call center last year and it nearly killed her. I can't imagine I'd fare much better. And at my last job I scanned files involving appeals for denied medication, and just reading those stories was really hard for me. I'm not overly sensitive or anything, but I'm not sure I could handle listening to people tell me their horrible experiences for eight hours a day.

So I'm trying to decide whether a week or two overseas is worth having a miserable job. I've had miserable jobs before for lamer reasons, but I was really hoping to not have to do that ever again. What do you guys think? Should I woman up (har) and take the job, or keep hoping something else miraculously comes along that will still allow me to go on that trip? Help me, Laughing City! I am indecisive.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
a-1wave
Golly, Poster

Oooh that is a tough decision. I think that's the kind of job you would either come out of doubting the existence of human compassion, or worse, with your sense of compassion hardened. You should definitely pray and talk to your husband about it. But you did ask for my opinion. If it were me, I wouldn't take it. No job is worth what this one involves. In my opinion.
ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

Oh man. That's tough. I'd say, if the commute is long. Don't do it. Save some trees (albeit prehistoric long dead trees which are now reduced to a carbon rich liquid known as oil).

love,
luke
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

I agree completely with the two posts above me.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I would only take that job if my only other choice was to starve. Otherwise, I would keep looking for a job and postpone the trip if I had to.
4th Month of the Year
Lost at Forum

kulvir wrote:
I would only take that job if my only other choice was to starve. Otherwise, I would keep looking for a job and postpone the trip if I had to.

I definitely agree. That job sounds like it can do some serious damage. Who'd want to go on a honeymoon with that in their minds.

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Hannah, consider the question "does God want me to do this job?" What's his will? If He wants you to go to the UK, you will go. Maybe not soon soon, but at some point in the future.

To me, the job sounds as if your health would be in jeapordy in either the long-term or the short-term - and we all know is unhealthy to be unhealthy. Is your health really worth a trip to the UK? Would God want you to jeapordise your health for the sake of a trip?

It's good that you know you can handle the commute. However, consider the commute + the job. How does it look now?

I say with a big "eeeee", don't go for it. There must be something better, surely?

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

do it.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

You don't really have anything to lose if you try the job and quit, because I'm guessing your work history is already less than stellar. If you trully can't find anything else, you might want to take it and just see if you can handle it. I worked outbound and inbound collections for about 3 months before I couldn't take it anymore.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

My job for the last 8 3/4 years is as an individual medical health insurance underwriter. I deny health insurance applications for people who do not meet our guidelines due to pre-existing medical conditions, or charge them higher rates if they are insurable but have a medical condition that exceeds the standard (for example, someone with high blood pressure pays at least 20% more than someone who does not). It isn't pleasant, but it pays the bills. I have to deal with unhappy people who are not happy with being denied or charged extra premium all the time. If this job opportunity is the best you can find now, give it a try. You can always keep looking for something better while at least making a paycheck in the mean time.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Thanks guys! I made up my mind to interview for the job, since the benefits as I see them right now outweigh the cons, but it turns out the company "decided to go another way" before I even got to talk to them. So I guess that answers that!

DRMS_7888 wrote:
I'm guessing your work history is already less than stellar.

Laughing Not far off. It's not horrible or anything, but I've left a few jobs off my résumé and there's nothing on there that's lasted more than a year total. Temp agencies don't seem to mind, 'cause they're temp agencies after all, but I've seen some funny looks from prospective employers.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I'm sitting here and it's what, 3am, and I'm on call to the hospital which means I could get called in to do a case at anytime, and I do this once a week, and maybe one or two entire weekends a month, and maybe work all night and still have to work all day, and sometimes I think it sucks, but then when I think that some people might have to drive long distances to work at a 'call center' for 11 bucks an hour, I count my blessings!

Hannah, I wish you all the best in your job search, and hope you find something that is stimulating and pays well, and I'm not gonna gripe anymore, (until the phone rings again!) God bless you!

Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

I think you're right. You should at least interview for it and see what its all about. if you get and can't stand it, you can always leave. but if you don't at least give it a try, you'll always wonder if you did the right thing! Wink

Good luck!! Smile

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
Hannah, consider the question "does God want me to do this job?" What's his will? If He wants you to go to the UK, you will go.

Actually, don't consider that.
Consider things that make sense, like food and electricity.

I said take the job. If you can't stand it, you can always quit.

EDIT: Dammit, probably should have finished reading the thread.