Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Some people are total packaging whores.

<---

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
And what really bugs me is when people buy vinyl even though they have no turntable. Rolling Eyes

Honestly, i bought a vinyl album that said the Beatles on it without having a turntable to play it on because it was a vinyl album with the Beatles on it.. but, one day it hopefully get played. Smile The white album, im looking forward to it. Smile

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
inorbit wrote:
If the masters are digital, what does vinyl buy you?

Amen to that. And what really bugs me is when people buy vinyl even though they have no turntable. Rolling Eyes

Ever heard of a collection? It's when someone collects (that's where the name comes from) similar items (e.g. stamps, coins, classic cars, etc) for their own enjoyment. Some people like to display their collections proudly in their homes, some like to keep them in boxes and look at them in their own private time, some do like to use the items in their collections as they're meant to be used, but usually only occasionally as to preserve the items condition. Vinyl records are actually a popular item to collect, since there are so many different ones out there.

Point is, just because you collect something, doesn't mean you have to use it like it was originally intended to be used (usually collectors items are outdated in today's world). Of course, audiophiles like the sound on vinyls better, but not everyone who buys vinyl is an audiophile (I'm assuming you are).

For the record, I own 30-40 albums on vinyl, about 5 of them are made this decade, and I also own a turntable. I've listened to about half of my vinyls, most only once. So I guess you can call me a collector. I love to listen to them occasionally, but I don't want to play them to death since a few of them are old and kind of valuable.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I wonder if VHS movies will ever have a resurgence, it's analog after all.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
johnip
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
I wonder if VHS movies will ever have a resurgence, it's analog after all.

Nope. Tape is bad.

Vintage Newbie

Well, vinyls are bad too. An analog medium isn't useful when it's playing digital music. It's physically large, degrades with each play, and can only be played by a very large and non-portable player.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
Ever heard of a collection? It's when someone collects (that's where the name comes from) similar items (e.g. stamps, coins, classic cars, etc) for their own enjoyment. Some people like to display their collections proudly in their homes, some like to keep them in boxes and look at them in their own private time, some do like to use the items in their collections as they're meant to be used, but usually only occasionally as to preserve the items condition. Vinyl records are actually a popular item to collect, since there are so many different ones out there.

First of all, your condescension is unnecessary. Yes, I've heard of a collection.

Stamps go in archival albums; coins sit in fancy acrylic display cases; classic cars get restored and driven proudly to expos like the one that happens every month up the street from my house. The people who collect these things have an appreciation for them and the means to enjoy them whether that requires additional equipment (tools and replacement parts for the cars, a turntable for vinyl) or not. Records ought to get played, at least every now and then, which brings me to your next point.

uncreative wrote:
Point is, just because you collect something, doesn't mean you have to use it like it was originally intended to be used (usually collectors items are outdated in today's world). Of course, audiophiles like the sound on vinyls better, but not everyone who buys vinyl is an audiophile (I'm assuming you are).

I didn't say you have to use vinyl like it was originally intended to be used. I said it really bugs me when people buy it and never listen to it. It's my opinion that this is a silly thing to do, while it's your opinion that those people are entitled to buy up vinyl even though they have no way to listen to it.

Your "collector's items are outdated" argument would be valid if it were particularly difficult to play records in the same way that it's difficult to play wax cylinders or to send mail with canceled stamps. Turntables are readily available and many cost less than an MP3 player. The technology is still around and still popular, so it's not like collecting some obscure piece of brass kitchen equipment that can only be used over an open flame and hanging it on your wall.

And your assumption is incorrect--I am most certainly not an audiophile. I can tell the difference between CD quality and 128kbps MP3s, but my three turntables cost less than a hundred bucks total and one is hooked up to a cheap stereo with 1/8th inch cables while the other two are vintage suitcase models with built-in speakers and both are in a state of disrepair. So you're absolutely right: not everyone who buys (and listens to) vinyl is an audiophile. I do, however, prefer that albums I buy were recorded with analog equipment, since that's what vinyl was intended to duplicate.

You don't have to use it like it was originally intended, but it would be awful nice if all the people who don't have the means to listen to that rare LP in the thrift store would leave it for somebody who does.

uncreative wrote:
For the record, I own 30-40 albums on vinyl, about 5 of them are made this decade, and I also own a turntable. I've listened to about half of my vinyls, most only once. So I guess you can call me a collector. I love to listen to them occasionally, but I don't want to play them to death since a few of them are old and kind of valuable.

I have quite a few records I've never listened to, including several 45s that I think might be worth something one day. I play a record from my tiny collection perhaps once a month for ambiance while I cook dinner or something. Acquiring vinyl gives me that little collector's thrill, but I wouldn't collect it if I didn't have a turntable. An unplayed record is full of potential, and I hate to see potential go to waste.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Well I guess we're not so different, after all. Laughing

I see now why you don't like when people buy vinyl who don't intend to listen to it, and that's because a lot of old vinyl albums are rare, and if someone is stockpiling them and keeping them in boxes, than a lot of people, like you, who would like to listen to them won't get to. However, people can spend their money on whatever they want and use it however they want.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
However, people can spend their money on whatever they want and use it however they want.

Very true. And getting pissed off at them for how they spend it is free, which is why I do it so much! Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

uncreative wrote:

Ever heard of a collection? It's when someone collects (that's where the name comes from) similar items (e.g. stamps, coins, classic cars, etc) for their own enjoyment.

Well, I've heard of something like that, but I think it was called commodity fetishism...
singsoftly
Golly, Poster

no idea where u found 3 record players for under 100, when i was searching for mine best i found was 70 for a decent one, worth it though in the end.

I personally could care less wether or not people listen to their records I have some I listen too and then theres others framed on my wall, like one which is signed and was limited 1,000 copies made with special artwork its beautiful, i'll probably never listen to it.

That said I just got my copy of room noises in the mail the other day, with it being on sale I couldn't help but get it even with being in debt. (I'm weak)

When I fly solo, I fly so high.
a-1wave
Golly, Poster

TheAntrider wrote:
Some people are total packaging whores.

<---

Guilty.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

singsoftly wrote:
That said I just got my copy of room noises in the mail the other day, with it being on sale I couldn't help but get it even with being in debt. (I'm weak)

on sale?
where/how much?

vinyl is a tricky thing. it's such a demanding medium - you have to be careful putting the needle down (if you have a manual one like i do), you can't leave it more than 30 mins or so, non-portability, etc., but at the same time there is something fun and attractive about it.

i got this 6 record Buddy Holly set off of eBay for next to nothing - i was so gonzo for him - listened through the stuff i hadn't heard once and i don't think i've listened again. it's not even that i don't want to hear it - i just don't want to sit in front of my record player and do it. the main way i listen to music is on my long drives to and from work every day.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

singsoftly wrote:
no idea where u found 3 record players for under 100, when i was searching for mine best i found was 70 for a decent one, worth it though in the end.

I eBayed my first one for around twenty bucks, traded in a lot of DVDs at Lou's Records in California and got the second (brand new) one for the equivalent of seventy dollars, and paid six for the third one at the San Diego swap meet. That one's my favorite, aesthetically speaking--it has vacuum tubes. But it's also the least functional of the three.

singsoftly wrote:
I personally could care less wether or not people listen to their records I have some I listen too and then theres others framed on my wall, like one which is signed and was limited 1,000 copies made with special artwork its beautiful, i'll probably never listen to it.

I've got this shelving unit in my room that's made for holding clothes, but I use it to store solid stuff so I needed something rigid to reinforce the compartments. Turns out LP sleeves are the perfect size. I bought four absurd old records from the thrift store for fifty cents each (and picked up one Joan Armatrading album while I was there, which I've actually listened to and am not using for shelving).

Beyond that and my Tommy Dorsey 45s and a few really old singles my great-grandmother owned, I will at some point listen to everything in my collection, and have already listened to the signed copy of Brandi Carlile's The Story, which was limited to 2,000 copies. Not to mention my In Rainbows discbox--if that pricey little beaut's not safe from my voracious ears, nothing is.

Basically, my philosophy is that vinyl will one day be unplayable for any number of reasons, so preserving it unlistened while the opportunity is still available is just pointless. Free the music! Listen to your records! Wink

Smokemonster
redboots
Sea Post King

I want a record player so badly! My friend got me an old cool one, but the needle was old and when she contacted the manufacturer to buy a new one they said it couldn't be replaced.

That being said, I do own one record... I got it when I bought a package deal from one of my favorite bands (w/ vinyl, signed poster, patch, lim. edition dvd/cd). I've listened to it once on a friend's turntable, but it didn't sound as amazing as I thought I would. Probably because of the whole digital medium on a record. But I still love the record and the artwork is fun too (they can fit a lot more on that than they can fit on a CD cover)...
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>