Golly, Poster

kathymunster wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
kathymunster wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
Miss Pine wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
hisownshot wrote:
Last year, when I was in HS I would sit in the band room in the morning before classes started and there were like 2 or 3 copies of Twilight being shared among like... ten girls, who would come in each morning and talk about how hot the vampire was.

I don't really know much beyond that, but their conversations didn't make me wanna read the books any more than I already did (which was none since I had never heard of them before)

Let's make this simple:

Band=> high concentration of nerds=>nerds behave like nerds=> the Twilight series => nerdy behavior.

Actually, I'd wager that Twilight fans are comprised more of the Gossip Girl-ish type than of nerds.

Nah, Gossip Girl fans tend to be the celebrity-obsessed, pop-culture loving kind.

i love twilight.

..and i love gossip girl Sad

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRD! Wink

haha, im so ashamed to say that i actually watch gossip girl.
but never will i be ashamed of my undying love for twilight!
haha

I love Gossip Girl too (the TV show, though, not the books) - definitely wasn't trying to insult GG fans. I just used to work in a bookstore, and I can tell you that if the girls who came in to buy Twilight purchased something else as well, it was almost always a chick lit type of book. I never once saw someone buy Twilight along with a piece of actual literature. Seriously, not that many nerds read Twilight.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Miss Pine wrote:
kathymunster wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
kathymunster wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
Miss Pine wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
hisownshot wrote:
Last year, when I was in HS I would sit in the band room in the morning before classes started and there were like 2 or 3 copies of Twilight being shared among like... ten girls, who would come in each morning and talk about how hot the vampire was.

I don't really know much beyond that, but their conversations didn't make me wanna read the books any more than I already did (which was none since I had never heard of them before)

Let's make this simple:

Band=> high concentration of nerds=>nerds behave like nerds=> the Twilight series => nerdy behavior.

Actually, I'd wager that Twilight fans are comprised more of the Gossip Girl-ish type than of nerds.

Nah, Gossip Girl fans tend to be the celebrity-obsessed, pop-culture loving kind.

i love twilight.

haha

I love Gossip Girl too (the TV show, though, not the books) - definitely wasn't trying to insult GG fans. I just used to work in a bookstore, and I can tell you that if the girls who came in to buy Twilight purchased something else as well, it was almost always a chick lit type of book. I never once saw someone buy Twilight along with a piece of actual literature. Seriously, not that many nerds read Twilight.

Nerds don’t read literature; a-holes do. I am the latter. Wink

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

Miss Pine wrote:
I just used to work in a bookstore, and I can tell you that if the girls who came in to buy Twilight purchased something else as well, it was almost always a chick lit type of book. I never once saw someone buy Twilight along with a piece of actual literature. Seriously, not that many nerds read Twilight.

I don't think nerd is being used necessarily as "ready-for-the-science-fair intellectual" in this case so much as "(s)he with immature, fantasy based passions" (read: anime, pokemon, D&D, comic books).

Sea Post King

national phenomenon wrote:
At least it isn't the first book series she's ever read.

AW SNAP

Miss Pine
Golly, Poster

Mooncutter wrote:
Miss Pine wrote:
I just used to work in a bookstore, and I can tell you that if the girls who came in to buy Twilight purchased something else as well, it was almost always a chick lit type of book. I never once saw someone buy Twilight along with a piece of actual literature. Seriously, not that many nerds read Twilight.

I don't think nerd is being used necessarily as "ready-for-the-science-fair intellectual" in this case so much as "(s)he with immature, fantasy based passions" (read: anime, pokemon, D&D, comic books).

Hmmm I still don't know about that. I know soo many girls who would definitely never be caught dead around anime but LOVE Twilight. I think it really has drawn in the girly-girl population that generally tends to read chick lit. I know you can't really use one person to prove your point, but freaking Audrina from The Hills loves Twilight!
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

stumple13 wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
I love Twilight. More power to Sherri for enjoying something that so many people tell her to hate.

I dont think anyone is telling her to hate it
especially "everyone", seeing as how 95% of the population seems to like the books
We just dont like the over zealous fans haha
I love over zealous fans of anything! Heck, most people would say I'm an over zealous fan of Eisley,which I definitely am! (And proud of it I might add!!) Smile So go Sherri!!
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

Miss Pine wrote:
kathymunster wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
kathymunster wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:
Miss Pine wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
hisownshot wrote:

Let's make this simple:

i love twilight.

haha

well, i'm not really into 'chick lit'
i dunno.. unless you count sarah dessen, i guess since her books are all about teenage girls.
buut theyre not all.. i dunno gossip girl-y.

i hate being stereotyped into one big group based on something i listen to/read.
im not saying you did that, but a lot of people will assume that i like shallow non substantial books/shows cos of some of the things i like but i dont necessarily agree with that.

my top favorite books were the catcher in the rye, twilight, harry potter, the great gatsby, and anna karenina.
to me that seems pretty diverse, i dunno if i'd call it 'literature' maybe the great gatsby and anna karenina, but i wouldn't call the rest of the books 'chick lit' either.

-Mae West
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

People who don't like what I like suck!

Rolling Eyes

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
norad
Vintage Newbie

Nightmare wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Nuh uh. You do.
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Nightmare wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Nuh uh. You do.

*cries*

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
rosalee
Sea Post King

Am I the only one who thinks the Twilight books are kind of sexist?

I love all things vampires (and LOVED Buffy, like to the extreme!) and I was all prepared to love Twilight, but the combination of poor writing and melodrama and the bland, weak female lead... I just couldn't love it. Didn't even like it, in fact... and I'm really sad about that. Sad

That being said, I am ALL FOR Sherri writing a vampire song! Do it, Sherri! Do it do it!
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

rosalee wrote:

Definitely not, Edward is completely controlling and makes decisions for Bella, who is weak in every sense of the word. Nevermind the fact that the relationship the two of them have is disgustingly unhealthy. "Oh, my soulmate h8s me now? BRB going to kill myself." The fact that little girls think obsessive relationships like that are ideal is pretty sickening.

In b4 "it's just a book"

Sea Post King

Mooncutter wrote:
rosalee wrote:

Definitely not, Edward is completely controlling and makes decisions for Bella, who is weak in every sense of the word. Nevermind the fact that the relationship the two of them have is disgustingly unhealthy. "Oh, my soulmate h8s me now? BRB going to kill myself." The fact that little girls think obsessive relationships like that are ideal is pretty sickening.

In b4 "it's just a book"

I've read all four, and i definitely agree with this. I don't think these books are at all appropriate for young girls. I was there at the release of the fourth book and there must been about ten girls around age 10.

La Noisette
Sea Post King

Eurgh, burning is too good for these books. I was seriously crushed when I read that journal entry. Sad
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I don't think that they're sexist at all. That's my opinion...I think people find things in the books that aren't there. They want to find fault, and so they do. Books are up for interpretation...

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>