10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Neither
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

Amazon is currently offering 50 of the year's best-selling and best-reviewed albums for sale for $5 each. High-quality, DRM free music for half of iTunes' offering price? Yes please
Vintage Newbie

Wow, there's stuff on here I'd actually buy! ... if I hadn't already downloaded all of it.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

That would awesome if Amazon opened a Canadian digital music store this year like they said they would. I buy most of my music from iTunes as long as it's DRM free, otherwise I still get the CD.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

e-music, and rhapsody for streaming, mostly.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

If Amazon would just keep track of what you purchased so you can redownload if you need to (like Steam or other online digital stores), it would trounce iTunes in every possible way (not that it doesn't already.)

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

as long as all of these places use lossy compression, i'm not the least bit interested in any of them…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
as long as all of these places use lossy compression, i'm not the least bit interested in any of them…

Why settle for redbook audio? Albums are recorded at a much higher quality than CDs can reproduce anyway.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Why settle for redbook audio? Albums are recorded at a much higher quality than CDs can reproduce anyway.

well, i didn't say “redbook audio”, did i? if one of these online music stores sold music encoded at true studio-quality i might not ever buy CDs again! but, for now, the highest quality music i can get on my computer is a CD ripped losslessly (as far as i know, and i'd love if it if i were wrong!), and so that's what i prefer, and it's the least i'll settle for! that's all…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Some albums come out in SACD or DVD audio format, but it's pretty much a niche market. Good if you like symphonies.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Jared x
Lost at Forum

I'm a total whore for iTunes.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

do not be afraid. wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

well, i didn't say “redbook audio”, did i? if one of these online music stores sold music encoded at true studio-quality i might not ever buy CDs again! but, for now, the highest quality music i can get on my computer is a CD ripped losslessly (as far as i know, and i'd love if it if i were wrong!), and so that's what i prefer, and it's the least i'll settle for! that's all…

I'm with Afraid on this one; I only buy stuff electronically (in the crumby bit-rate mp3's that they come in) that I either don't care much about (its cheap or on e-music and I haven't decided whether to actually buy the CD yet) or stuff can't get any other way (unfortunately, two of my favourite Eisley EP's for example). If its just stuff I'm going to play on my zen nano while running anyway, who cares.

For stuff I really want to own and play at home, I buy the CD and rip it. Can't warm up to paying for something and then not having a decent (CD) quality version of it. Still re-encode down to mp3 at about 340 or so for portable use. Yes, I know that "CD" quality is a totally arbitrary standard to fixate on, but, given that that's what is widely available commercially, I see value in supporting it with my $$'s and resisting the downward slide in quality customers are supposed to accept.

Don't care anything about the actual media though; If they were selling CD quality downloads, I'd buy those instead, to save on packaging/transportation waste, and the unnecessary resources for the CD's themselves. Until then, though, I'll keep buying the CD's

Happy thanksgiving, all
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

inorbit wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

I'm with Afraid on this one; I only buy stuff electronically (in the crumby bit-rate mp3's that they come in) that I either don't care much about (its cheap or on e-music and I haven't decided whether to actually buy the CD yet) or stuff can't get any other way (unfortunately, two of my favourite Eisley EP's for example). If its just stuff I'm going to play on my zen nano while running anyway, who cares.

For stuff I really want to own and play at home, I buy the CD and rip it. Can't warm up to paying for something and then not having a decent (CD) quality version of it. Still re-encode down to mp3 at about 340 or so for portable use. Yes, I know that "CD" quality is a totally arbitrary standard to fixate on, but, given that that's what is widely available commercially, I see value in supporting it with my $$'s and resisting the downward slide in quality customers are supposed to accept.

Don't care anything about the actual media though; If they were selling CD quality downloads, I'd buy those instead, to save on packaging/transportation waste, and the unnecessary resources for the CD's themselves. Until then, though, I'll keep buying the CD's

340? That seems like a somewhat useless setting to me. For the size you might as well go lossless, and for the quality you might as well do V0. Agreed on the other counts, though; I'll download for casual listening, but for something that gets a lot of serious play (or if it's classical) I'll get the CD or a FLAC rip. I do much prefer to have a CD for the sake of having something physical, though.

Vintage Newbie

for old music mp3's are just fine.but i want something better for the newer songs.
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

i always want to buy music, but then i look at the choices and i get overwhelmed. i want everything. i haven't bought music in at least a year, and i haven't downloaded anything in months. for now i'm happy with what online radio and youtube can give me. and my ipod.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Thanks, I dl'd Fleet Foxes. I like cd's better but Amazon's 256Kbps drm-free mp3's are decent at that price.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX