Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Will the Cubs win the World Series in 2008?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 53

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs sign Ryan Dempster to a 4 year, $52 Million contract, to keep their rotation intact (17-6, 2.97 ERA last season). Kerry Wood will no longer be the closer for the Cubs (he is moving on), but they have Carlos Marmol (1.43 ERA in 2007 in 69.1 innings, 2.68 ERA in 2008 in 87.1 innings) who may be ready to move into the closer role (currently set up). And they signed Kevin Gregg who could be set up or closer (last season with FL had 29 saves with a 4.00 ERA, 2007 had 32 saves with a 3.54 ERA). Too many blown saves for Gregg, though, so probably Marmol's job to start the season as closer.
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Cubs sign Ryan Dempster to a 4 year, $52 Million contract, to keep their rotation intact (17-6, 2.97 ERA last season). Kerry Wood will no longer be the closer for the Cubs (he is moving on), but they have Carlos Marmol (1.43 ERA in 2007 in 69.1 innings, 2.68 ERA in 2008 in 87.1 innings) who may be ready to move into the closer role (currently set up). And they signed Kevin Gregg who could be set up or closer (last season with FL had 29 saves with a 4.00 ERA, 2007 had 32 saves with a 3.54 ERA). Too many blown saves for Gregg, though, so probably Marmol's job to start the season as closer.

that will probably take the Cubs out of the bidding for trading for Jake Peavy...which were the Friars front runners in making a trade. I honestly think the Cubs are setting themselves up for a good 2009...I don't think there will be much competition in the Central

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

starbucksgod wrote:
I honestly think the Cubs are setting themselves up for a good 2009...I don't think there will be much competition in the Central

It looked that way in 2004, too. Cubs had 87 wins with 8 games to play that season, and lost 7 of their last 8 games to finish with 88 wins and miss the playoffs by 3 games. You just never know. I think the Cubs team looks good for 2009, but they are the Cubs. Laughing
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

But that thinking has to change! It wasn't until the Red Sox finally quit that that they managed to cross into not sucking. (Though I think they still suck for other reasons. ha ha) That wasn't the only thing, obviously, but it was extremely important.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Gregg blows more saves than average because FLA would often bring him in the 8th in tight situations, he isn't one of those 1-3 out relievers (anyone who signs K-Rod to a contract will be looking for ways to dump his salary by 2010). Gregg's a good pitcher but walks too many guys, I think he's best suited for the 7th-8th and starting the inning.

I know you don't want to hear this, but YEA ALBERT! Very Happy

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:

YEA ALBERT! Very Happy

Prince Albert in a can Poo Holes? Whatever you're into, dude... Razz
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Derrek Lee couldn't carry the Pooh-Man's jock strap. Razz

(BTW, that is a REAL album cover. Even worse, try looking at it upside-down!)

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Jeremy Papelbon lead his league in saves in Hawaii for the Waikiki Beach Boys, and was a HWB Post-Season All-Star. Expect to see Jeremy Papelbon (brother of Jonathan and Josh) playing for the Cubs big league team by 2010 at the latest.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Whats up with the Cubs now! CNBC says they are part of the Tribune Company, and therefore will be in bankruptcy, NBC says they are separate entities and won't! Does anyone know anything more definitive?
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Padres GM Kevin Towers said the Cubs are the only team he is talking to regarding Jake Peavy, but a deal must be done by the end of the Winter Meetings.

mikep0922 wrote:
Whats up with the Cubs now! CNBC says they are part of the Tribune Company, and therefore will be in bankruptcy, NBC says they are separate entities and won't! Does anyone know anything more definitive?

"The Chicago Cubs are not included in Tribune's restructuring and the business and baseball operations of the Cubs continue independent of Tribune's decision to restructure its debt," the Cubs said in a statement. "The sales process for the team, ballpark and related assets continues, and its timetable for completion remains unchanged by today's announcement by Tribune."

In a memo to employees, Tribune chairman Sam Zell told employees that the Cubs franchise is not part of the bankruptcy filing. He also said the company's operations, including newspapers and broadcast outlets, will function as before during the bankruptcy protection period.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Well, that's certainly good news! Thanks Smile
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

Padres GM Kevin Towers said the Cubs are the only team he is talking to regarding Jake Peavy, but a deal must be done by the end of the Winter Meetings.

I think a three team deal will get done between the padres cubs and another team. The Padres are desperate to deal Peavy because they are cutting their payroll by over fifty percent. If the Padres do deal Peavy to the Cubs, the Cubs will have the best rotation in baseball. Peavy, Zambrano, Harden, Dempster, Lily.
Fricken Scary.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

the longer that negotiation drags on, the more it resembles the Brian Roberts fiasco
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

Radio's saying CC's officially going to NY for 7/160 but it isn't on ESPN.com yet.

EDIT: Confirmed
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Anyone who seriously follows baseball is either gay or from the Bronx. Take your pick.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>