Laughing City

What do you think is the Oddest thing about Easter?
Cream Filled Chocolate Eggs lain by Clucking Bunnies
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Pink, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Purple Pastels, Everywhere you turn
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Easter Egg Hunts
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
The vintage religious films that are unearthed and re-run
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
something far more clever that you'll post below
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 22

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Whew! I did it (though I guess in theory I should have been done Friday). Hope everyone has a good weekend, and Holiday, for those who believe this is a Holy day, like myself. If not, I hope it's a least an ironically beautiful and refreshing day like none other this year. Very Happy

so, my run is done, why not vault out via a pole? ( and a bad metaphorical pun)

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Happy Easter, and congratulations! I've enjoyed your posts, thanks! Smile
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

How the $#@! does a rabbit lay eggs?

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I have to go with the rabbit. I also don't think that chocolate egg is actually chocolate, or an egg. Because a rabbit leaves mini eggs all around my yard, and they don't seem like they are very sweet.

Also, an impressive run! Don't quit! Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I think it's odd that when Christianity stole this holiday from the pagans, they didn't even bother to change its name to "Christer".

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Pantheon4 wrote:

exactly what I was thinking.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

ks1990 wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:

exactly what I was thinking.

I think Antrider nailed that one (no pun given the occasion), but if you really want to skewer someone over that notion (no pun, seriously, I just woke up, something must be off in my brain) then the folks at Cadbury should be your targets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_gEyg7Nt8

The series of these commercials got funnier over time, but I'm not gonna tr and dig them up, that's for somebody else to do. But, I realize that this commercial will be a good demarcation of generations, cause it's so old some have never seen it, just like "Where's the Beef?"

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I have to go with the rabbit. I also don't think that chocolate egg is actually chocolate, or an egg. Because a rabbit leaves mini eggs all around my yard, and they don't seem like they are very sweet.

Also, an impressive run! Don't quit! Laughing

Laughing

I'm not gonna quit, but I'm not gonna force it anymore. I laid some stinkers just so I had a post. Maybe I'll just hang around and snark all the time like some other posters? Razz (jk)

BTW - thanks for the inspiration. http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=36143

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
I think it's odd that when Christianity stole this holiday from the pagans, they didn't even bother to change its name to "Christer".

Well, the practice was to adopt the occasions of Pagan holidays and imbue them with Christian themes and messages, so people could keep there habits in place, but with new motivations for celebration.

I have a friend who's not into religion at all, and oddly enough, once a year on Good Friday, he has a Ultimate Cheese Burger. He knows they are horribly unhealthy, but sooooo delicious. So, he figured he'd pick a day, and it just so happens, he picked Good Friday.

Me, I am just not much of a celebrator at all, and also knowing what you know about the holidays, I have one more reason not to "get in the spirit". But, people are supposedly creatures of habit, so there you go. Maybe I'd be more into it, if all those Passion films didn't put me to sleep and I didn't go to public school and never got any days off for the Holiday. Plus I don't like cream, OR Hard Boiled Eggs. Even learning how to make Jello filled eggs in Boyscouts couldn't redeem it. Neutral

Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

Well, to be fair, most churches call it Resurrection Sunday.

Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

Ecouter wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Really? That's honestly the first time I've heard it.

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Well, the practice was to adopt the occasions of Pagan holidays and imbue them with Christian themes and messages, so people could keep there habits in place, but with new motivations for celebration.

I get that. I just don't get why they'd rename the Yule holidays to Christmas, but not Easter to something more Christ-ish, what with the name being a reference to a pagan goddess.

Ecouter wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Most? Really? While I've seen the term used at several churches, I wouldn't make a claim as to majority. Especially not when so many churches embrace the word "Easter" in an attempt to bring in new people with their children's egg hunts and potlucks and whatnot.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

Nightmare wrote:
Ecouter wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Really? That's honestly the first time I've heard it.
I like the sound of Resurrection Sunday. It could easily be the title for a zombie movie sequel.
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:

Christianity didn't steal it, considering it has to do with Jesus's rising from the dead you'd think that'd be obvious.

Alot of the pagan traditions were adopted for a reason I really don't know. But that includes the Easter rabbit. Santa Clause is also pagan.

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

Ecouter wrote:
Saellys wrote:

All churches I've been to call it Easter, but it's not about the candy or rabbits.

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?