Laughing City

What's the most important factor for the increased prevalence of obesity?
Higher calorie diets (fast food, increased processing, corn syrup, larger portions, etc)
53%
 53%  [ 23 ]
Increasing sedentary lifestyles (loss of walkable neighborhood, cultural trend towards automobiles, lower demand for physical labour)
39%
 39%  [ 17 ]
Genetic disorders
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Change in definition or perception of obesity
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (feel free to clarify)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 43

Lost Account 14083
Sea Post King

Paranoid Android v2.0 wrote:
Do coke. Get thin. You will not want food, nor will you have the cash for it on account of buying your junk.

Problem solved!

hahaha.

i think people are just lazy. this generation is all about sitting infront of computers and doing, well, this.

i mean, if people just worked out for like 30 minutes of high intensity work out (it will raise your metabolism for up to 36 hours after working out) and just eat somewhat healthy, then people will be fine.
soupey
Sea Post King

I do not agree with genetics. My friend Thomas, apparently he used to be huge. After getting his dad to buy him an elliptical machine for his basement and going on it every day, he is now one of the buffest people I know. He comes from a very fat family. I have other examples, but that's what I think of first.

I think it's the little habits that ruin people. The soda or two every day, the school fries at lunch every day, the tastykake, you know. It adds up! That combined with the fact that people hardly exercise ruins people. And going to the gym? Just go for a bike ride! Or walk to your friends house instead of driving. Simple things like that are the best way I think.

Lost Account 14083
Sea Post King

soupey wrote:
I do not agree with genetics. My friend Thomas, apparently he used to be huge. After getting his dad to buy him an elliptical machine for his basement and going on it every day, he is now one of the buffest people I know. He comes from a very fat family. I have other examples, but that's what I think of first.

I think it's the little habits that ruin people. The soda or two every day, the school fries at lunch every day, the tastykake, you know. It adds up! That combined with the fact that people hardly exercise ruins people. And going to the gym? Just go for a bike ride! Or walk to your friends house instead of driving. Simple things like that are the best way I think.

well, in some cases, it is bad habits that have been passed down from generation to generation and each new generation picks up more bad habits which would lead to a big family.

there are some people who really are genetically fat. but the genes aren't really fat genes, they are theroid and other noid and glan problems that make it complicated to keep weight off and make it easy to gain alot of weight very quickly.
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
I don't believe THC speeds up metabolism any more than say drinking coffee does.

yeah, i think you're right, actually. i just don't think weed, or beer for that matter, is a big cause of our nations obesity. you know what pisses me off is those high fructose corn syrup commercials.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Beer and weed has been around forever. I don't see any correlation to obesity.

I think it's more about diet and how the unhealthy food choices are typically the cheapest (and best tasting Wink (but not in all cases)). People just need to be conscience of what they eat, and get off their lazy asses every once in a while. Someone mentioned sitting at the computer, I agree with that, too. Notice that after computers started getting popular in the 80's and 90's people started getting fat?

I work for UPS and my goal is to be a UPS delivery driver soon, so I'm set. Cool And since I already eat right and enjoy physical activities like sports, I think I'm safe from the obesity 'disease' at least until I retire. I'm worried about my kids, though (when I have some).
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

I think it's many factors : the fact that our bodies are not adapting to the way we don't have to go hunt for our food anymore...in other words our metabolisms should be faster to benefit our modernity, the prominence of fast food in the western world, technology making people less likely to be active, and lack of sleep (I've heard this makes us want to eat more and it also may mess with our metabolism).

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

lookingXglass wrote:
I think it's many factors : the fact that our bodies are not adapting to the way we don't have to go hunt for our food anymore...in other words our metabolisms should be faster to benefit our modernity, the prominence of fast food in the western world, technology making people less likely to be active, and lack of sleep (I've heard this makes us want to eat more and it also may mess with our metabolism).

No we should just stop sucking as a country and be healthier. Blaming our bodies on not changing to adapt to us not doing anything does nothing.

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
sebas
Golly, Poster

lookingXglass wrote:
the fact that our bodies are not adapting to the way we don't have to go hunt for our food anymore

Wut...?

Obesity is primarily an issue held within the United States, so I'll assume this topic is in direct inquiry with the U.S only. I don't think we can pinpoint one specific category and match it up as the primary cause for obesity, the causes for it are more of a giant, ugly cocktail:

1) Food is easy to get
2) Food is under appreciated
3) "It is only delicious if it is supposed to be bad for you"
4) A vast majority of the convenient, "tasty", quick foods have a ton of synthetic, unnatural ingredients, as well as a lot of them
5) Ignorance: "What's hydrogenated oil?"
6) American lifestyle: Ironically, the country that gives the most amount of attention to their weight is the country with the most unhealthy weight. Unless you're trimming your weight for a specific job or some sort of competition, or because it directly pertains to your health, you don't need a damn scale in your bathroom.
7) And of course, fat parents = fat kids.

-Mahatma, Gandhi
osoeloquente
Sea Post King

I agree with a lot of the comments here in that fast foods are not the healthiest choice. You can still diet while eating at fast food places though. I've lost 60 pounds in the last few years and I don't know how to cook, I go to McDonalds like everyone else. I think that people just don't want to make the right choices, or they think because something is grilled its healthy, even when it has mayonnaise, cheese, or other high calorie things on it. If you're misinformed about the right way to diet then dieting becomes more difficult.
Kayci
Golly, Poster

I think it's a combination of things, probably the two most important being a growing disconnection from our food and the prevalence of cheap but nutritionally-deficient calorie foods, and the fact that we're still eating enough (and more than!) the amount of calories we needed decades ago when we were much more active than we are now.
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

I voted A, but I think it's a mix of A and B. So many people choose to eat out now a days and those foods are very high in calories and larger portioned, but it would also be easier to eat those foods and not gain wait if people excersized regularly...which many don't.
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

I'm battling obesity myself. Just started yesterday. I'm tracking my progress as well.

http://danhasbike.blogspot.com

Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

I think it's a mixture of A and B also. But you know what makes me kinda mad? Ever seen that show Man vs. Food? Why would you do that to yourself? Why is that guy still alive, and not without more health issues? Why isn't he in the hospital instead of my father who's having heart surgery right now because the radiation from his cancer 20 years ago caused him heart problems?

On a side note, trans fat is banned in Denmark and Switzerland. Not fit for human consumption. Maybe we should follow suit.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Cendrillon wrote:
I think it's a mixture of A and B also. But you know what makes me kinda mad? Ever seen that show Man vs. Food? Why would you do that to yourself? Why is that guy still alive, and not without more health issues? Why isn't he in the hospital instead of my father who's having heart surgery right now because the radiation from his cancer 20 years ago caused him heart problems?

On a side note, trans fat is banned in Denmark and Switzerland. Not fit for human consumption. Maybe we should follow suit.

Individual states have banned it from restaurants (Washington I know specifically).

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

It's a combination of many things, none of them good.

Our lifestyle is very inactive, which leads to a shite-ton of health and emotional issues. Even when we are "on the go" we're still sitting around - driving a car is not particularly physically stressful.

Too much of the wrong stuff. Most people don't monitor what they intake, and even when they DO think about it, they often lack the self-control. "I really SHOULDN'T drink this giant caramel frapp as my afternoon "coffee"...but what they hey! Oh, I'm so BAD!"

Too many animal products! I don't support it, but I don't argue with carnivores. I'll even agree that meat can be eaten as part of a perfectly healthy diet; however, one should not be eating meat at EVERY meal, EVERY day. A steak does not replace fresh vegetables.

Now throw in all the mod buzz words: sugar, high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, and so on.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>