Laughing City
Lost Account 14083
Sea Post King

yeah, i am already addicted to smarter, so it wont work out for me. have fun though!
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
The5thavocado wrote:

So, who's with me? Cool

*raises hand*

MEEEEE!!

I made the mistake of listening to all the versions of Combinations before the release. Although this was unavoidable when I went to see them live...

I knew I could count on you....

I still love Eisley a gamahucheing million time better than farting
Joined: 28 Feb 2005 | Posts: 2060 | Location: Dallas, Texas
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

And not only can you not listen to their live performances of Smarter and Be Kind or their studio clips, but you can't listen to the acoustic versions of of those two new songs which are BTW already on youtube...tempting isn't it?

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

lookingXglass wrote:
And not only can you not listen to their live performances of Smarter and Be Kind or their studio clips, but you can't listen to the acoustic versions of of those two new songs which are BTW already on youtube...tempting isn't it?

eh. not really.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The5thavocado wrote:
lookingXglass wrote:

eh. not really.

if it was easy you wouldn't have to go "lalalala...i'm not listening"

you'd just be like "whateva."
Wink

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well, I've actually been resisting the videos pretty well. I know I've heard the songs a couple of times by now, but considering how much I like them, I'm doing well. I know what I'm waiting for is darn good, and I want to hear it like they want to make it, so that's helping, I think.

Interestingly enough, 2-3 times was all I needed for Smarter and Be Kind to get stuck hopelessly in my head. Once was enough for another gem ... Very Happy

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
The5thavocado wrote:
lookingXglass wrote:

eh. not really.

if it was easy you wouldn't have to go "lalalala...i'm not listening"

you'd just be like "whateva."
Wink

balogna.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

By performing the songs publicly, and advertising those performances to us, not asking us to refrain from recording and post video of the songs, don't you think they want us to hear these songs?

For a lot of bands the biggest test of new material is whether it stands up to "road-testing". Plus I'm one of those people who likes to see the songs evolve, and doesn't mind them being changed. I'd rather actively do it than do so after the fact. That's just me though.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
don't you think they want us to hear these songs?

no. It's all a trick.

All joking aside, listening to "the baby" and other pre-recordings, live shows, etc of a majority of the Combinations album only made it less exciting to hear once it finally did come out.
I'm just sayin', Room Noises warranted hundreds of repeat listens for me and Combinations didn't. It wasn't the writing style, or that the songs weren't as great....just, I'd heard them before so I wasn't all revved up to hear the shiny "new" versions. I actually prefer the demos, in retrospect.

It's like reading the ending of the book before you've finished the story. Or seeing the previews for a movie that give away all the funny parts. Or already knowing the punchline to a joke someone is telling at a party. Or Moving into a house where walls have yet to be constructed....

I think there is magic in waiting. Like anticipating the arrival of a new baby, or spring to bloom after a long winter.

you get it. Im waiting.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^Great Abstinence argument. But also a great argument for arranged marriage with no courtship.

I wasn't very active online until after Combinations came out, as far as downloading etc. So, all I had was the Laughing City and Marvelous Things EPs and nearly two years later Room Noises. Having done that I had half the Room Noises songs on the EPs for so long , in versions not too different, if not the very same versions as the LP it was still a solid record, but I wasn't as into it, not because I heard a lot of the songs before, or that they changed them. I just missed the emotional intensity on the EPs at that time.

I had no prep for Combinations, but because the material on that record is more instep with my taste in music at that time, I happened to like it a lot more. But that's how I'm built. If I had heard some of the live takes that are out there from before Combinations release I would have REALLY been eager, and pleased.

I wonder, how much does that whole "Baby" situation play into how you feel about it? Since I missed out on that by not being active on the board at all, only reading Boyd's posts exclusively back then, it's gotta spoil things to know you have intruded in order to get that sneak peek that may have whet your appetite.

I can understand how that might change a person's tune.

On the flipside, there are three records I heard in entirety Live a nearly a year before their release, and was able to get live bootlegs of the latter two and they were still a thrill to listen to because the songs had evolved and changed:

the Fire Theft - s/t
Ours - Mercy
Radiohead - In Rainbows

Everybody's got their own way, but you know, i'm all for the communal sharing they are offering cause it seems like lately they've really been fenced in with WB pulling a lot of content off the web etc, and the other stresses of live they've had to deal with. It's gotta be a little cathartic to actually get to be a band and connect with the fans in that way.

I don't know, I think of it like when you have songs you like that you share with some flame you're in love with, and they mean everything, and then you break up. Do you just toss out those songs, or do you let go of the past and embrace them for what they are outside of the old sentiment and enjoy them??? It's hard to decide sometimes, cause life can be hard to shake. But being the miserly cheapskate I can be, I'm for the latter cause it's more economical! Wink

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Great Abstinence argument. But also a great argument for arranged marriage with no courtship.

Laughing

wilsmith wrote:

the Fire Theft - s/t

*imagine thumbs down emoticon*

The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
^Great Abstinence argument. But also a great argument for arranged marriage with no courtship.

I wasn't very active online until after Combinations came out, as far as downloading etc. So, all I had was the Laughing City and Marvelous Things EPs and nearly two years later Room Noises. Having done that I had half the Room Noises songs on the EPs for so long , in versions not too different, if not the very same versions as the LP it was still a solid record, but I wasn't as into it, not because I heard a lot of the songs before, or that they changed them. I just missed the emotional intensity on the EPs at that time.

I had no prep for Combinations, but because the material on that record is more instep with my taste in music at that time, I happened to like it a lot more. But that's how I'm built. If I had heard some of the live takes that are out there from before Combinations release I would have REALLY been eager, and pleased.

I wonder, how much does that whole "Baby" situation play into how you feel about it? Since I missed out on that by not being active on the board at all, only reading Boyd's posts exclusively back then, it's gotta spoil things to know you have intruded in order to get that sneak peek that may have whet your appetite.

I can understand how that might change a person's tune.

On the flipside, there are three records I heard in entirety Live a nearly a year before their release, and was able to get live bootlegs of the latter two and they were still a thrill to listen to because the songs had evolved and changed:

the Fire Theft - s/t
Ours - Mercy
Radiohead - In Rainbows

Everybody's got their own way, but you know, i'm all for the communal sharing they are offering cause it seems like lately they've really been fenced in with WB pulling a lot of content off the web etc, and the other stresses of live they've had to deal with. It's gotta be a little cathartic to actually get to be a band and connect with the fans in that way.

I don't know, I think of it like when you have songs you like that you share with some flame you're in love with, and they mean everything, and then you break up. Do you just toss out those songs, or do you let go of the past and embrace them for what they are outside of the old sentiment and enjoy them??? It's hard to decide sometimes, cause life can be hard to shake. But being the miserly cheapskate I can be, I'm for the latter cause it's more economical! Wink

Hmm. All very interesting (and valid) viewpoints. Though I would hardly call any part of my collective experience with Combinations "intrusive". I don't have to make apologies for what, how, or when I heard the demos. And I don't regret that now-I just know how differently I'd like to approach the new album.

As cathartic as it may be for Eisley to brandish the sword of freedom in the form of these few live/acoustic tracks against (or, under the watchful eye) of WB, I don't think I'm doing them any sort of great unjustice by choosing not to listen. I happen to like suprises and I only know that because of my experience with Combinations era Eisley.

To each his or her own. And well, I think I have a pretty good idea of where you stand. So -

Is anyone else giving the new album the silent treatment until it releases. Very Happy

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The5thavocado wrote:
I would hardly call any part of my collective experience with Combinations "intrusive".

I don't think I'm doing them any sort of great unjustice by choosing not to listen.

Oh, it's just that when you mentioned "The Baby", and also mentioned regretting hearing all the Combinations stuff before hand, I inferred that a couple of those songs made the record in some fashion, and the stink people made about the leak could maybe make you apprehensive about that kind of thing ruining the experience for you. I made an assumption, an erroneous one, my bad. Didn't intend to offend.

And I agree that there's nothing wrong with patiently waiting to take in the album, unexposed, all at once. I'm just thinking, hey, you might not spoil the record if you just a hear a couple of songs. They may not let more get out there than these two, or maybe one more, who knows? Basically, I see Exactly why you are going the route you are, and can Totally relate, and am trying to talk myself into accepting my own lack of self discipline Laughing

Oh, and Don't think I didn't catch that Diss of the Fire Theft record Bigideas. I still stand by that Album. It does help to have been a fan of Peter Gabriel and Genesis from the Early 80's going in though, I will admit that Wink

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Oh, and Don't think I didn't catch that Diss of the Fire Theft record Bigideas. I still stand by that Album. It does help to have been a fan of Peter Gabriel and Genesis from the Early 80's going in though, I will admit that Wink

i don't know. i actually listened to my used copy of Genesis hits album the other day and dug a lot of it, though i've never heard an album of their's.

it's that Tyson/movie thing - though i wasn't sure if it was Phil solo or Genesis.

but TFT - i've given that several go rounds and just don't dig it. Enigk's new one sounds promising though i haven't gotten to listen to it much yet.

*back to your regularly scheduled program*

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

The5thavocado wrote:
I'm just sayin', Room Noises warranted hundreds of repeat listens for me and Combinations didn't. It wasn't the writing style, or that the songs weren't as great....just, I'd heard them before so I wasn't all revved up to hear the shiny "new" versions. I actually prefer the demos, in retrospect.

I'm with you.

Room Noises still demands many spins in many different situations, where Combinations... doesn't. I definately prefer the demo of Many Funerals to the final cut.

You can still get excited for an album without hearing the demos. Hearing the buzz about it and what's happening step by step is more than enough for me!

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland