Laughing City
boone
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:
JBaker wrote:
Eh, it's better than NFG, The Fray, or whoever else they've been touring with since Brand New.

The tour with Wesley Jensen opening was the only logical one in recent years that I can think. Or Mute Math, I guess.
Who headlined for those? I was talking tours where Eisley supported, not sure about John.

Eisley opened for MuteMath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Did they really? I assumed they were bigger than MM. I wonder if MM will join them...if it's true to begin with. Maybe Todd (I think that's his name) can be the guitar tech. Laughing
alinicole
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
I have no idea if it is true or not, but it makes me sad that people apparently can't enjoy more than one kind of music.

so because some of us don't like SA we therefore only like one type of music? I actually went out and watched SA at warped tour last year to check out their live show, so it's not like I'm being a music snob about it or anything. just not a fan and don't think the tour makes any sense music-wise. I'll still go of course... just won't enjoy the show as much I guess. oh well. if it's gonna happen then it's gonna happen so I'll deal.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'm still holding out for a Christie Dupree & Eisley tour someday... That would be the best possible combo to make me happy, but one of the artists is gonna have to break big enough to foot the expense of the tour (but the money stays all in the fam at the end of the night!)

Maybe they could do Boyd and Kim + 7?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I have no idea if it is true or not, but it makes me sad that people apparently can't enjoy more than one kind of music.

I know you're trying to defend the DuPrees/Bemises here (not that they need it), but disliking Say Anything does not equal enjoying only one kind of music, and by implying that it does you've insulted an awful lot of people on this forum who just aren't into SA. It makes me sad that people can't tell the difference between personal preference and musical elitism. I'm happy about the possibility of Sherri and Max touring together, but not about the prospect of another tour where I would have to pay full show price for Eisley's opening set when I have no interest in staying for the headliner. I get the impression I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Let me just say Eisley has toured (or played shows) with a lot of bands I liked prior to Eisley touring with them:

Coldplay, Brand New, The Fray (I liked the 1st album at least) Lovedrug, Vedera, Denison Marrs (1 show, but man I loved those guys so they get a nod on GP), Snow Patrol (well I liked 1 album), Switchfoot, Taking Back Sunday, Mute Math, Copeland

That's a pretty good round up of talent, lots of "Rock", a little low on the "whimsy". Key trait for all the above... seldom intentionally abrasive outside of cathartic aggression, (well, the Sucker Punch Show has some Ed Kowalczic from Live-like moments lyrically) but for me, that's what I'm looking for, complimentary bands.

As far as Say Anything, when they go all out hard rock, It's good, but pushes the envelope. I never saw Eisley with the harder bands on that list, but when they go all out, Say Anything fits right in with TBS and BN (and Switchfoot and Lovedrug when they go all out). So, it's won't be that much of a departure as far as standards are concerned. Now on the flip side, what if the new Say Anything album is a complete departure and leap for them artistically? Perhaps the Brewtones footage will provide hints? I guess I should finally watch his set after neglecting it all these weeks? Embarassed

*ok, did it, I take back that complete departure bit...*

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

I know you're trying to defend the DuPrees/Bemises here (not that they need it), but disliking Say Anything does not equal enjoying only one kind of music, and by implying that it does you've insulted an awful lot of people on this forum who just aren't into SA. It makes me sad that people can't tell the difference between personal preference and musical elitism. I'm happy about the possibility of Sherri and Max touring together, but not about the prospect of another tour where I would have to pay full show price for Eisley's opening set when I have no interest in staying for the headliner. I get the impression I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Seconded. I'd say I have an extremely wide variety of tastes. I listen to Eisley and all that indie jazz, but one of my favorite genres is West Coast G-Funk. I'm also a big Miles Davis fan. Britney Spears. Nirvana. Led Zeppelin. The Carpenters. JS Bach. Is that enough?

I have listened to Say Anything and I found their music to be crass and unpleasant. I thought NFG and TBS were bad choices in the past and I kind of doubt they helped the band out at all. If they could latch on to a Regina Spektor, Feist, Death Cab or other indie power hitter tour, I think they could really boost the fan base.

Sea Post King

I'm too careful with my concert dollars (not to mention a tad geographically far-spaced from most venues) to see Eisley play a short opening set for a band I'm not that wild about, plain and simple.

It's only a rumor now, anyway, maybe that prior mention of touring with 'better fit' bands will come true.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Saellys wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

I was not trying to defend anyone, and while I think Max is a good songwriter, I haven't really gotten into Say Anything as of yet. I should have been more specific and less pointed, but I'm lamenting an overall segregation of music that has been going on for the better part of a decade. (Ok, it's always segregated itself, but among things that could be called "alternative" or "indie.")

In addition, Eisley are not exactly in a position to just jump on anyone's tour at their will. They don't exactly have much weight to toss around, and I guess that could mean more headline touring, but I have to assume that finances and potential over-saturation would have something to say about that. If a band with a considerably larger following asks them out, I think they'd be fools to turn it down, in most cases. If they had their pick of just anyone, I might be complaining, too. But they don't, and I think it's silly.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
national phenomenon
Golly, Poster

Well, I'd like to see an Eisley/Say Anything tour. They're probably going to go on multiple tours to promote this album, why not do one that makes sense for them personally?
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
boone
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Did they really? I assumed they were bigger than MM. I wonder if MM will join them...if it's true to begin with. Maybe Todd (I think that's his name) can be the guitar tech. Laughing

Oh, no no no. Mutemath was getting a huge push at the time. Oregon has a pretty tepid Eisley fanbase (there are only three regular posters from the state on the forum, and one of them is my roommate) but people came in full force for MM at the Portland show. I think Eisley held their own, though, and got some new fans.
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

if there could be another Mosslake or a first Eislake show that would be insanely wonderful! I enjoyed Very Happy Max when he played SA tunes, i think, at Brewtones and the solo he wrote for Smarter! Havent yet ever listened to the band SA becasue im afraid of the bad words they might use. Sad Must sleep now.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I keep forgetting about this, by let's try to take score here:

Reasonably "similar" bands Eisley have opened for:
Coldplay/Ron Sexsmith (giant band!)
Snow Patrol (Got bigger, but were still bigger than Eisley)
Mute Math (Previously covered)
The Fray/Gomez (Big time!)

Rock-emo-y bands:
Brand New/Hot Rod Circuit (Insanely dedicated fans flocked to Eisley)
Does Taking Back Sunday even count? That was another country.
Hot Hot Heat ... can't decide if they belong here or above.

Pop-punk:
New Found Glory/Reggie and the Full Effect

And some the bands who have opened for them: The Colour, The Elected (Rilo-relation), Pilotdrift, The Envy Corps, Simon Dawes, Brighten, Wesley Jensen, Vedera, The Myriad

Are we jumping the gun a bit on their tour mates?

And with that I'm bailing on this. I should know to avoid debates when I'm stressed out, and really in general ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Unregistered wrote:
Havent yet ever listened to the band SA becasue im afraid of the bad words they might use Sad

Seriously?

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>