Laughing City

How walkable is your neighborhood?
90–100 = Walkers' Paradise: Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without owning a car.
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
70–89 = Very Walkable: It's possible to get by without owning a car.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
50–69 = Somewhat Walkable: Some stores and amenities are within walking distance, but many everyday trips still require a bike, public transportation, or car.
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
25–49 = Car-Dependent: Only a few destinations are within easy walking range. For most errands, driving or public transportation is a must.
32%
 32%  [ 15 ]
0–24 = Car-Dependent (Driving Only): Virtually no neighborhood destinations within walking range. You can walk from your house to your car!
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 46

shyviolet
Lost at Forum

my neighborhood is 91! until a couple weeks ago i hadn't owned a car in 2 and a half years. biking and walking take me pretty much everywhere i need to be.
alinicole
Sea Post King

0. Not surprised.
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

My neighborhood got a 62 which is around what I guessed. I'm in Vancouver proper and not a suburb so I expected a decent number.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

37. And I live on a college campus. Oy.
Vintage Newbie

shyviolet wrote:
my neighborhood is 91! until a couple weeks ago i hadn't owned a car in 2 and a half years. biking and walking take me pretty much everywhere i need to be.

Minneapolis right? I'm applying at the U this year for grad school, and I'd probably live on the west bank if possible.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

For the house in Edinburgh:35.

Looking at the map everything seems really far away, but they clearly don't take into account the fact that my long legs reduces a one mile walk into a 15 minute stroll.

---
For my flat in Glasgow: 96!

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
muffinbreath
Sea Post King

i got a 45!
which is pretty good i think.
i mean, it all depends on how far you're willing to walk.
if i was okay with walking 5 miles to pick up milk from the grocery store, i'd get a higher score, right?

very cool site though.
it even appraised my house, knew when it was built... weird.
shyviolet
Lost at Forum

DRMS_7888 wrote:
shyviolet wrote:

Minneapolis right? I'm applying at the U this year for grad school, and I'd probably live on the west bank if possible.

yessir. near uptown. i can walk to the bank, some good stores, my fave restaurants, my co-op. i can bike to church, to work, the lakes and my fiance's house. or walk to most of those for that matter, it's just a couple miles but i always bike to those over walking.

i'm a lot more familiar to the west bank but when you're at the u there's so much right there and both banks are close to downtown. at the east bank you'll be really close to the seward co-op for some nice organic, local groceries if that's your thing.

Sprocket
Vintage Newbie

80... York is a very pedestrianised city by virtue of that fact that most of the money coming into the city is from tourism and most of its tourism comes from the fact that we ostensibly still live in the 14th century. Well maybe not quite, but York gets a lot of mention in the Doomsday book and the built layout is so sprawled and haywire it would be very hard to make the city wholly accessibly by car without some wholesale street clearage. Everything is so narrow, you wouldn't believe. So actually I would have expected a higher score, were it not for that fact that much of the score seems to be calculated based upon accessibility of services and considering I spent several hours the other day looking for a place to buy towels, I would imagine that it's not high.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

I feel like we've had this thread before.

This year's dorm rates a 95% but I'm going to go ahead and say 100 since the site doesn't take into consideration the fact that I can also get to Fenway Park in about 15 minutes.

My home where my family lives gets a 31 in comparison.

Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:

This year's dorm rates a 95% but I'm going to go ahead and say 100 since the site doesn't take into consideration the fact that I can also get to Fenway Park in about 15 minutes.

That's why I put part II, I couldn't find my old thread, =)

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Mooncutter wrote:

That's why I put part II, I couldn't find my old thread, =)

Just caught that, and was about to go in to edit that out. D'oh moment.

Vintage Newbie

My address got a 26, which probably should be worse. The flaw in this site is that it's measuring the nearest grocery store to me in a straight line. Sure, if I cut through the woods, some backyards, and a fenced railroad track, it's 3/4 of a mile, but realistically it's 2.
ks1990
Lost at Forum

My area got a 91. But London is obviously really urban, so...
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

ks1990 wrote:
My area got a 91. But London is obviously really urban, so...
i went to London for my honeymoon (well half of it) it was an amazing experience and perfectly walkable in you include the subway.

I went on a Jack the Ripper tour in White Chapel, that is the coolest neighborhood ever. I also love the Liverpool Street train station and the financial district very cool buildings. Portobello road, Hyde park, Notting Hill, China Town, Piccadilly Circus pretty much every part of the city I was in was awesome. If I could be so bold as to make a suggestion, yall's fish-and-chips needs a little salt ;)