Laughing City

Do you like hearing 90's Alternative Artists (old or new material)
Yes
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Sometimes, Depends
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
Not Usually
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Rarely
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Never, I Hate it all with a passion
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

So, this fall we have releases from Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, Nirvana on Guitar Hero, Radiohead releasing singles, Sunny Day Real Estate reunited, Cranberries Reunited, Portishead working on a record, The Flaming Lips getting high critical praise for their new LP, Hole working on a album, Smashing Pumpkins working on a 44 song release over the next few years, STP out touring, NIN just coming off their fairwell tour etc etc etc...

On the downside Creed is back, 3rd Eye Blind and Everclear have new albums out and Marilyn Manson is blowing snot rockets on fans at a show one day and claiming to have H1N1 the next

since the old 90's thread died, and the 90's live on...

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mattr
Golly, Poster

I recently went through a 90s music phase and I think enough time has passed that hearing it again brings back more positive than negative memories. I guess that's nostalgia, right?

Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains are pretty much intact, but the Smashing Pumpkins should be called Billy's solo project at this point. Even though the Flaming Lips have been around since the early 80s, I didn't get into them until the Soft Bulletin in 1999, so they don't really fit into my 90s experiences. Another 80s band that started to get recognition in the 90s was Sonic Youth who have remained one of my favorites over the years and they've never stopped putting out albums.

I never got into the 3rd and 4th generation bands like Creed. STP even seemed kind of redundant.

It was a good time to be young though. I saw more shows in 1994 than any other year before or since.
MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

'90s bands' output in the '90s?
Awesome.

'90s bands' output today?
Not awesome.

Flickr
Transvaal IV - Myspace : Virb
Deep Thoughts About Shallow Subjects
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
johnip
Vintage Newbie

MoreOfTheSame wrote:
'90s bands' output in the '90s?
Awesome.

'90s bands' output today?
Not awesome.

I agree with this for the most part. Some new stuff is alright.

Vintage Newbie

AHEM!

TEMPLE OF THE DOG ON STAGE REUNION

with the rest of Soundgarden in attendance!

+ Jerry Cantrell joins PJ on stage!

look out folks, they're gonna make this thread relevant whether you like it or not Laughing

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

While I don't enjoy 3EB's new material, I sincerely hope you don't categorize them as "the bad side [of the 90s]." If so, die in a wild fire.

And I've always said I love stuff released in the 90s. So many bands that have stuck around or reunited, for whatever reason, grow to totally suck. Look at Foo Fighters.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
On the downside Creed is back, 3rd Eye Blind and Everclear have new albums out and Marilyn Manson is blowing snot rockets on fans at a show one day and claiming to have H1N1 the next

You STFU about Third Eye Blind. They're the band everyone loves to pretend to hate, but secretly loves. Admit it.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
AHEM!

TEMPLE OF THE DOG ON STAGE REUNION

with the rest of Soundgarden in attendance!

+ Jerry Cantrell joins PJ on stage!

look out folks, they're gonna make this thread relevant whether you like it or not Laughing

If a supergroup reunites and nobody notices, were they ever a supergroup to begin with?

Flickr
Transvaal IV - Myspace : Virb
Deep Thoughts About Shallow Subjects
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
Kirk
Sea Post King

The Cranberries don’t seem nostalgic to me at all. I don’t think I’ve ever gone more than a few days in the past five years (since I started using iTunes) without listening to them. I’ve got 66 songs by them apparently (mostly high-rated), so they show up often in iTunes DJ (née Shuffle).

As for Third Eye Blind, I was never really into them back in the 90s, but from what I hear, they suddenly got really popular with college students over the past year. My best friend is in college and likes to start randomly quoting them in the middle of iChat conversations. While he, I, and my brother were cleaning out my brother’s closet, we discovered two 3EB CDs, which he promptly claimed, but my interest was piqued. Then their new album, Ursa Major, came out, and I bought it. Now I can’t stop listening to it and, years after I first heard them, I’ve finally become a huge fan.
Joined: 05 Jul 2003 | Posts: 374 | Location: Seattle, Washington
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Reminiscing The 90s has become increasingly popular thanks to Facebook groups/fan pages. How can you not think of the "doot doot doot" song? The elitist in me is embittered, since I've been repping the decade since it ended. I don't think it was until this year, maybe last, that I've finally felt content with modern-day happenings.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I've always had a soft spot for '90s stuff, but it's really taken hold the last few years. In a big away. ha ha

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I only ever liked "Never Let You Go", and honestly, his "rapping" is like a stiff jab to the ribs for me, just can't take it... I rank it up there with Madonna's American Life.

I was bitter and disenchanted and angsty when they came out, 100% hip hop and Grunge at that point, with a few truly "alternative" artists thrown in for good measure (I still love you Cake, Geggy Tah, and Bjork Wink ).

But that's just MY TASTE. So, to be fair, I do like most of Duncan Sheik's records (but HATE Barely Breathing), every Dishwalla Album EXCEPT their first that has Counting Blue Cars on it, and Own EVERY Verve Pipe and Tonic album, even Emerson Hart's Solo Record. So, I have my share of those Adult Alternative (whether they knew they were or not) bands. I just never liked 3EB's Semi-Charmed Life might as well be Tubthumping to me.

Simply put, I was too busy mourning Kurt Cobain, Shannon Hoon, and Jeff Buckley to be in the mood for them. You see, I was one of those people who Simply Refused to watch FRIENDS and that song was like the essence of what that show seemed to Rep, while Jumper was more Party of Fiveish. I rank them up there with Matchbox 20 and Goo Goo Dolls as bands who managed to write a song or two I actually liked but generally just wasn't feeling, and probably never will.

So Sue Me. Razz

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

OH.
MY.
GOD.

YOU DID NOT JUST LIKEN THEM TO CHUMBAWAMBA. GIRRRRRRL, HOLD MY WEAVE.

Matchbox 20 and Goo Goo Dolls is seemingly offensive, as well, but I'm not gonna front--they turned out some great pop rock hits, especially the latter.

And aw, Party of Five. Matthew Fox was quite the babe.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Not the band, that song... that song... " "

... I got nothin', it's just... not me at all.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Kirk wrote:
Then their new album, Ursa Major, came out, and I bought it. Now I can’t stop listening to it and, years after I first heard them, I’ve finally become a huge fan.

Eleventh Dream Day already made an album with that name in 1994. And I bet it's better too. (Not too impressed with TEB back in the day, although that suicide song was catchy in an annoying way.)