Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

I know we are talking about the album in other threads. But I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread just for our reviews of the EP. Good or bad.

I am too tired to post my full review right now. but I will say it is nice to hear some new stuff.

I was shocked that both songs had Stacy on the lead. And the two gb demos had Sherri.

It makes me wonder what the ratio will be on the new album?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I encourage everyone to post their reviews on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Kite-EP/dp/B002QWMXW8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s= dmusic&qid=1254799076&sr=8-6

Here's my review.

Quote:
I've been following Eisley since they were playing small venues and selling self-burned CDs and self-made buttons.
It has been a joy listening to their sound evolve and to see them grow as musicians.

Fire Kite's two beta tracks ('Ambulance' and 'The Valley') are arguably their most polished and complex songs to date. While the overall sound is very unique, you can hear the influence of bands like Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, The Killers, and The Shins. It's only been a couple days but I've been listening to these over and over like it's been in my playlist for years.

If these two songs are indicative of the 2010 LP then their Junior Album is going to be the best yet.

The downside to Fire Kite are the two garage band demo songs.

'192 Days' takes you back to 1920s and 1930s radio fare. It's beautiful and has lots of potential, to be sure, but I feel like I'm listening to one of those old burned CD of a band playing into a PC mic.

'Away We Go' seems like a dud to me. Very slow and plodding. Not particularly interesting.

4/5
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

When I first listened to the ep I thought Ambulance was so beautiful, and I couldn't get The Valley out of my head. Away We Go seemed okay... when I listened to the 'Chipmunk Version', but when Boyd posted the Original version.... that song is absolutely Brilliant. I love it, especially the chorus parts, I love the lyrics, the imagery, the melody... it kind of reminds me of their older songs, and I have to say that one is probably my favorite of the bunch.
The ep definitely has me excited for the new record.

-Mae West
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Wow, I don't see the influence of any of those bands you mentioned. They're moving further away from their rock sound, and those are all much more rocking (with the possible exception of The Shins.)
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
Wow, I don't see the influence of any of those bands you mentioned. They're moving further away from their rock sound, and those are all much more rocking (with the possible exception of The Shins.)

True dat.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I hear Modest Mouse the most in 'The Valley'.
It's that heavy drum beat and the chanting at 0:18 that really does it, I think.
That and the "talking" singing during the verses.

It really is minor and probably a case of a coincidence in sounding alike as opposed to direct influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIwA0zRW8Es
<3 The Shins <3
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

'The Valley' the clear winner of Eisley Fire Kite EP. Dramatic, grandiose & catchy all bound together w/ winding vox and string section. (I Twittered that and Boyd or whoever was @Eisley replied "Great words on The Valley. Become a writer if U aren't." Cool )

'Ambulance' is a grower. The vox are immediately gorgeous but took a few turns for me to assemble the song and latch onto something - there's not really a verse, not really a chorus, but that's Stacy's way sometimes and by now I love it. As Chauntelle has said, "She's a genius!"

'192 Days' is a charming lovesong, the chorus is catchy as hell and the LP version ought to really be something special. In the mold of 'Combinations' and 'If You're Wondering' but much better than either of them.

'Away We Go' is OK, a little slow & meandering but hey I'm glad to have it. Nice further insight into a side of Sherri's writing.
4/5 stars.

Miss Pine
Golly, Poster

olimario wrote:
I encourage everyone to post their reviews on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Kite-EP/dp/B002QWMXW8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s= dmusic&qid=1254799076&sr=8-6

Here's my review.

Quote:
I've been following Eisley since they were playing small venues and selling self-burned CDs and self-made buttons.
It has been a joy listening to their sound evolve and to see them grow as musicians.

Fire Kite's two beta tracks ('Ambulance' and 'The Valley') are arguably their most polished and complex songs to date. While the overall sound is very unique, you can hear the influence of bands like Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, The Killers, and The Shins. It's only been a couple days but I've been listening to these over and over like it's been in my playlist for years.

If these two songs are indicative of the 2010 LP then their Junior Album is going to be the best yet.

The downside to Fire Kite are the two garage band demo songs.

'192 Days' takes you back to 1920s and 1930s radio fare. It's beautiful and has lots of potential, to be sure, but I feel like I'm listening to one of those old burned CD of a band playing into a PC mic.

'Away We Go' seems like a dud to me. Very slow and plodding. Not particularly interesting.

4/5

That's so funny I just (like 2 minutes ago) read that on Amazon. I agree with everything you said.

I've listened to the EP about 30 times so far and I can't remember the melody or words to Away We Go (which I think is rather telling). Otherwise, stunningly beautiful EP. I can't get enough! The Valley is my new favourite Eisley song.
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

I love Away We Go. I think it has a lot of potential. It's a demo, not a perfected track.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
Catey
Lost at Forum

The Valley is my ringtone.
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
alinicole
Sea Post King

Catey wrote:
The Valley is my ringtone.

haha nice.. I made an ambulance one for my phone. woop!

kathymunster
Golly, Poster

anotherrandomtuesday wrote:
I love Away We Go. I think it has a lot of potential. It's a demo, not a perfected track.

yes! Very Happy

-Mae West
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

kathymunster wrote:

yes! Very Happy

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I hope it reemerges sometime in the future, fully finished.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
pazatronix!
Lost at Forum

kathymunster wrote:

yes! Very Happy

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I hope it reemerges sometime in the future, fully finished.

I love it too!
I've already learned the beautiful piano part and I play it all the time. Very Happy

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

pazatronix! wrote:
kathymunster wrote:

yes! Very Happy

I love it too!
I've already learned the beautiful piano part and I play it all the time. Very Happy

I listen to it quite a bit, and would love for it to resurface.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address