10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 47

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

CD.

or, indeed tape.

I recently bought a tape deck from the '70s. Very Happy

CDs last. MP3 players and computers in general don't.

Example?

Why, I have a fair few Flaming Lips CDs second hand from late 80s/early nineties. So long as you look after them, and the previous owners have, they will still play.

Gerald has almost died. I've had him for about two years. In that time, the computer had to be revamped, so if I got a new mp3 player, i'd have to go through the whole process again of uploading CDs blah blah... Confused

Plus, i'm a very visual person. I like simply viewing my CDs in storage. Easy to access, visible. You simply don't get that with an mp3 player. it's just a list of artists, half of them out of the wrong place (leaving "the" out of the band's name etc). heigh-ho.

CD ordering gives my crazy life some order to it. Infact, they're the only thing in my room, apart from gig tickets, which have an order to them.

CD.

But i'd use an mp3 or two to get into a band. to test them. myspace baby!

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

CDs - the real deal, plus backup if needed. it's hard for me to keep track of the songs i buy online, let alone back them up properly... just easier for me to have the real deal.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
Go spastic!
Sea Post King

Sorry for digging up an old thread..

I think it's a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. I need to feel like I actually own the music, sort to speak. Having an MP3 just doesn't cut it for me.

On the flipside though, it's a great way for unknown musicians to get their stuff out there. The need for a record label also decreases. It's probably cheaper for the artists as well.

LacyFace
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
I prefer real CDs, but there are several instances where I'd buy (and do buy) electronically.

Same here!! Depends on the band and if I can find the cd. Also sadly I sometimes will not buy the cd because it is more expensive than the mp3 download of it. But my music collection is pretty much 50/50 both so I don't feel too horrible.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Go spastic! wrote:
On the flipside though, it's a great way for unknown musicians to get their stuff out there. The need for a record label also decreases. It's probably cheaper for the artists as well.

No probably about it. I haven't bothered to get my album from two years ago put on CD because it's so expensive. I burn copies and make handmade packaging if I'm about to play a show where I might have a chance to sell some merch. The overwhelming majority of my listeners are from Europe thanks to putting my stuff on Jamendo, and I'm pretty much unmarketable in the U.S., so there's no point bothering with duplication and jewel cases and full color printing right now. Every penny I've made off my music has come through the Internet.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
johnip
Vintage Newbie

Does this page look like this to anyone else?

Vintage Newbie

It didn't before your post, but now it does. Laughing

blame the user amidthestars and whatever photobucket, errr... I mean Flckr they linked to Razz

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
johnip
Vintage Newbie

haha
Sea Post King

[quote="Saellys"]
Go spastic! wrote:

Cool. So you take care of your own promotion as well?
Ever concidered a netlabel?

No probably about it.

Don't understand that sentence.

Kirk
Sea Post King

With the except of the Fire Kite EP, which I bought just to get the free lithograph, and had in fact already bought on iTunes, I haven’t bought a CD in at least five years. I haven’t bought a DVD in a year and a half. I’m pretty much 100% iTunes these days. And while a jewel case and inserts are nice in theory, I don’t actually use them at all, but I also can’t bring myself to throw them away. I’m much better off never having them, especially since I do the majority of my music listening sitting at my computer playing directly from iTunes.
Joined: 05 Jul 2003 | Posts: 374 | Location: Seattle, Washington
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

Why revive the thread?

The demise in cd sales really just reflects the demise of the actual wagon. We're a single driven society.

I prefer the cds

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams

<< prev | goto page