Laughing City
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

I can't believe I've never said anything about this before but one of the reasons I like the song a whole lot cause first off I'm Asian and at the very end of the song there's a lady speaking in mandarin chinese. Laughing who is it and how did the band get that idea?

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

...the Room Noises version at the very end? I hear no Mandarin, just Sherri saying "Aaw yeah, good job!" Stacy replying "yeah" and Sherri and Chauntelle echoing it again over hoots and hollers.
Sea Post King

Mooncutter wrote:
...the Room Noises version at the very end? I hear no Mandarin, just Sherri saying "Aaw yeah, good job!" Stacy replying "yeah" and Sherri and Chauntelle echoing it again over hoots and hollers.

Same
Catey
Lost at Forum

The DuPrees are talented but not THAT talented that they've mastered another language as hard as Mandarin.
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

it's not them saying it, it's someone else, i showed it to my mom and she hears it too. it's right before the other girls come in the background talking, it's the first voice after sherri snorts and everyone stops clapping.

she' saying in chinese: "Ah! you all practiced so well" followed by the girls murmuring it to each other afterwards.

edit + 1

excuse me, it's right when they start clapping, and she's exclaiming in chinese over the person who's whooting.

edit + 2

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

oh, and i never noticed any of the other girls talking until just now =P cause their voices i tuned down so low and the lady talking kinda distracts me

alinicole
Sea Post King

The Man In The Moon wrote:
it's not them saying it, it's someone else, i showed it to my mom and she hears it too. it's right before the other girls come in the background talking, it's the first voice after sherri snorts and everyone stops clapping.

she' saying in chinese: "Ah! you all practiced so well" followed by the girls murmuring it to each other afterwards.

edit + 1

excuse me, it's right when they start clapping, and she's exclaiming in chinese over the person who's whooting.

edit + 2

the first voice after sherri makes that noise is definitely in english and it's one of them saying "aww yeah, good job!"

I mean it could definitely sound a whole lot like something in chinese... I wouldn't know because I don't know the language. pretty sure it's not, though. you have to think about which would make more sense, one of them saying something in english or someone else in the room saying something in chinese when none of the band members speak it or understand it.

that's really interesting that you hear that, though. I kind of wish I spoke chinese now so I could try to hear what you're talking about. Very Happy

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

tragedienne wrote:

edit + 1

edit + 2

the first voice after sherri makes that noise is definitely in english and it's one of them saying "aww yeah, good job!"

I mean it could definitely sound a whole lot like something in chinese... I wouldn't know because I don't know the language. pretty sure it's not, though. you have to think about which would make more sense, one of them saying something in english or someone else in the room saying something in chinese when none of the band members speak it or understand it.

that's really interesting that you hear that, though. I kind of wish I spoke chinese now so I could try to hear what you're talking about. Very Happy

ok, i can hear what i hear in chinese, and i can kinda hear what you guys hear in english, but it makes more sense to me that it's chinese cause the accents, tones, and pronunciations are correct and i wouldn't say "aww yeah, good job" like that in english, but i would say what the lady says the exact same way in chinese. also, that voice doesn't sound like sherri to me, sounds a little older. though i do think it's interesting that to people who only understand english she says "aww yea, good job" and to people who understand chinese they hear a similar thing as well in mandarin. can we ask someone in the band if it's english or chinese.

now that i'm listening to it again, i'm sure it is chinese, but it sounds like english because the whooping comes in right when the lady starts speaking mandarin and the two sounds combined make the first word sound like "good" in english, but the rest sounds like chinese to me no doubt especially since i can distinctly hear her say "hao hao" (sorry i have terrible pinyin) and that means good in chinese. i don't know, let's ask the band. =P

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

and i just thought, maybe we're hearing different parts and we're not noticing the others. okay here's what i mean. we all hear someone whooping. then i hear someone speaking in chinese but you guys hear sherri speaking in english. most of you guys wouldn't be able to make out the chinese cause you guys don't know chinese, but you guys hear sherri's part cause it's in english, but i don't notice it cause the lady speaking in chinese distracts me. also, especially if you don't know mandarin or if you're not familiar with it, you'll think it's just noise. i listened again, i hear the whopping, i hear the lady speaking in mandarin, and i hear sherri's voice speaking softly under the first two voices, but i can't make out what sherri's saying cause the lady speaking in chinese is louder and since i understand both languages, i'm gonna hear the louder voice and not the softer one.

edit + 1

listening closer, the lady speaking in chinese isn't saying "ahh yea, you all practiced so well" she's saying "ah yea, you wrote the song really well." if you want me to translate it word for word it's "ah yea, song written really well"

song in chinese is "ge" which is pronounced somewhat like "good" but without the "d" sound in the end.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

this thread is so strange.

but in a good way.

I have never heard the Mandarin in the song. I have only heard Sherri say "oh yeah, good job."

But, it does make sense that an american with no training in Mandarin would block out that voice as noise only.

all i know is, when I saw the Summer Scenic Tour, after Eisley played Trolleywood, I yelled, "Good Job!"

Maybe Kim can shed some light on it?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
alinicole
Sea Post King

i wouldn't say "aww yeah, good job" like that in english

hmm... is english not your first language then I'm guessing? because I would definitely say "aww yeah, good job" just like that.

I definitely think it's english, but yeah I guess we can wait for someone to clarify.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

tragedienne wrote:
i wouldn't say "aww yeah, good job" like that in english

hmm... is english not your first language then I'm guessing? because I would definitely say "aww yeah, good job" just like that.

I definitely think it's english, but yeah I guess we can wait for someone to clarify.

chinese is my first language, but i know english better, but i'm still really good at chinese. it's just that she seems to be stuttering "job" if that's what she's saying.

this is what i hear: ah yea, ge shie de hao hao a

and this is what i think it would sounds like to you guys: ah yea, good jo-ob!

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i think, istead of saying job she is saying jooooob, like she holds it out longer than normal. but i don't detect a stutter.

i am at work so I can listen to it, but I will when i get home tonight and see if i notice anything.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Catey
Lost at Forum

Why don't we just ask Sherri or point her in the direction of this thread to clear matters up?
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i really don't think that's sherri speaking, it doesn't sound like her voice to me, but yea that's a good idea

goto page
 | next >>