Laughing City
crusso
Sea Post King

Yeah! Eisley Recording Inc.

I won't even begin to pretend I know the amount of work it would take to set up an organization for the purpose of recording and distributing an album, but if you could get it up and running and get some albums cooking, you'd be in complete control (which is fun).

Granted the only thing you'd probably be able to produce and distribute is your own music, and you'd have to work out a way to do it at a profit (no profit = company goes south real fast).

As was mentioned before, if WB doesn't actually own the material released to them (they probably do at least for a while, is my guess) then you could re-release your albums under your own label and generate income that way. Same with merchandise. If WB isn't able to hold you hostage, you could start a small merch producing company and use that to help push the self-label forward.

If you grew too fast though, you'd probably have to get some help to keep up. Fortunately, that's a good problem to have.

Regardless, glad to see Eisley is moving forward and not having to put up with the garbage and red tape any longer.

[edit]

I would like to add a special Thanks to Boyd (and all of Eisley really) for interacting so much. You're a busy man, you don't have to. You can just post the blog and do your own thing. But to seek our input as a community, that's pretty rare and unique. I think it's becoming more commonplace with the social networking that goes on across the 'net, but it's still not the norm yet. Anyway, that just popped into my head.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'm surprised that so many people are fixated on the old records. As if the band and management are intent of re-releasing those records first and pinning their success on them? It just sounds off to me.

I know of two artists who negotiated the end of their contracts or got dropped and go their records back:

Kevin Devine: who toured and took his time working on his follow-up

Ari Hest: Hest's record had only be about 3/4 a year when he got his release, and the rights to his record. within 5 months he was on to his next major release a song a week subscription service.

Sometimes artists let out of contracts are forced to buy their masters back, and are either priced out of being able to, or simply choose to save the funds and just re-record the material to release however they feel is best (Injected let a friend "leak" it only when Interscope burned them).

Better to just move forward I say. The band is still young, revitalized, and more experienced and skill musicians... their best music is ahead of them, not behind them.

The biggest treat for those of us who are so attached to the older material will be a live video or album with the band now playing old and new material in it's most realized form. Until then, as the fortune cookies say, "Be Open To Trying New Things."

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
crusso
Sea Post King

I was referring to Room Noises and Combinations.

No reason not to sell those. It's income one way or another.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Good luck, y'all!

Saellys wrote:
Go forth and evangelize! Very Happy

Well, okay then! Laughing
dangerous
Sea Post King

It's such a relief to hear Eisley are FREEBIRDS now. Big middle finger to WB, and all the major labels.

I've had the displeasure of dealing with label types in the promotional area, when I ran a band's MySpace page, they wanted to pay me to tell me how to run it. I declined, and ran it the way a fan would run it. Never got any complaints, always changed the playlist for the fans, and communicated news and info from the band to the fans before the band finally took control.

The thing I have always loved about Eisley since the beginning, before they released their debut album, is their hands on involvement with or without a label's permission. I wish nothing but the absolute best outcome for Eisley as they damn well deserve it.

Wack Bobs, stick it where the sun don't shine!
Joined: 13 Nov 2003 | Posts: 165 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Last edited by dangerous on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

It would be cool to see Eisley at the Freebird. Jacksonville beach for anyone who doesn't know.
dangerous
Sea Post King

SamuraiPunk wrote:
It would be cool to see Eisley at the Freebird. Jacksonville beach for anyone who doesn't know.

Oh you're talkin' some mighty fine words there buddy, Freebirds would be an ideal venue! You from Jacksonville too?!
Joined: 13 Nov 2003 | Posts: 165 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

crusso wrote:
I was referring to Room Noises and Combinations.

No reason not to sell those. It's income one way or another.

That's what I was referring to as well. 9 time out of 10 those albums produced under contract, remain property of the label, along with any other masters they paid for (as in any other studio recordings financed with the labels money). If they worked out a deal that didn't have that provision they truly got a great deal, cause usually, it's standard practice that the label owns all your output during the period for which you were under contract, regardless if you are on the label or not.

Hence bands have greatest hits collections that are missing key songs, or a best of featuring all their work from one label, and a greatest hits with all their work for another and live tracks etc.

My post was an attempt at redirection, cause truth be told, baring some dramatic and incredibly craft negotiations, those records and EPs (even the vids) are WBs for years to come. The idea that Eisley Inc. would be in the business of selling their back catalog to recoup some cash is less than likely based on industry practices. Besides, those cds are probably limited to stock on hand and have been out of production for a while. Whatever stock distributers have, or are in storefronts, was manufactured for sale by WB. Eisley will get whatever points they were due during their contractual period.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
eisleyfan14203
Sea Post King

So what is the fate of the third album, if I may ask? I'm hungry for it

follow me Smile
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

dangerous wrote:
SamuraiPunk wrote:

Oh you're talkin' some mighty fine words there buddy, Freebirds would be an ideal venue! You from Jacksonville too?!

Yes but in 3 weeks i'm moving to Dallas.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

eisleyfan14203 wrote:

From what's been put out there Eisley bankrolled the Eiswood sessions themselves. Boyd made it pretty clear that THEY (Eisley) are putting it out, they just have to decide how they want to release it, be it signing to some sort of label entity or just doing their own thing independently.

Seeing as there are households with bills to pay, children & pets to feed etc. they are going to have to figure out the most effective way to go about releasing the record professionally. That might take some time, but I trust that it's in the pipeline. Have faith, they've got us covered.

marshking
Sea Post King

eisleyfan14203 wrote:

This little diddy will be pushing it far further than we all initially hoped (late winter/early spring). It will probably be released between June and September, I'd say.

But that's not the big picture!

Let us all rejoice in our happiness and in our nervousness. Eisley is going on to BIGGER and BETTER things than ever. WB has been nothing but a thorn in the big, funky, foot of Eisley since day one.

Look at what Boyd said about Combinations and the Invasion single.. wait, what single? They weren't pushed as a band at all. It's like they were filler. Just a tool. An item on a shelf.

But now they can circulate themselves in a wicked way. It'll be tough for them--putting out records by themselves or finding an indie label, but worth it.

--------------

The best part to me is MORE MUSIC FREEDOM. I remember way back to before Room Noises release, I believe it was, where the label kept egging the band on to create a "hit single" (whatever that means!). My memory is fuzzy about that so someone recap that for me if I didn't have that accurate.

Eisley can do whatever Eisley wants to do now. Play more shows, chose their openers, play more festivals (which, in turn, will up their chances on higher fanbase and more chances to grab the attention of indie labels), release more B-sides... the doors are all open now, but Eisley will still have an incredibly tough time stepping through them. But it's all about the hope.

Let's just be great fans for the band, give them our support, be glad they are free, and hope for the best.

I cried when I read the news. Just out of plain relief/happiness for the band. That's when you know that a band is more to you than just a "band."

That and the fact that I named my dog Eisley and still asked my fiance if it would be possible to name one of our future children Eisley (before being told it was inappropriate to name a child and dog the same thing).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
boyd
Eisleyoid

All of these options under consideration. WB did pay for the record. And yes, We were deep into it before they got involved. We were working w/ RoseWood, who was supporting the collective move toward an indie release. In our minds, we were off... even though they were saying "no you aren't/can't".

We own publishing (!) and are working through scale-able price structure. Major would pay more than indie, indie would pay more than self-release. It's not a hurdle. Any indie would get the record for way cheaper than it cost to record. We are in a good position.

At the end of the day, it's all about the music.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

boyd wrote:

At the end of the day, it's all about the music.

Amen and Hallelujah.

http://inconnumag.com
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

It's hard to say something here that hasn't already been said. Most of us knew this was a long time coming, and thanks to their incredible talent, personableness, and a supportive fan base, Eisley will always be successful. So here's to a new beginning.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>