Laughing City
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

I WANNA GO TO CORNERSTONE. But my mom is like, no, maybe that's something you can do in college. Camp in the mud.

Also, Summerfest, yes.

mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

Now that you aren't worried about saying too much, maybe more journal updates? Once a month isn't helping the wait for the next album.
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

Don't tour with A) anyone you've opened for or B) anyone they've ever toured with.
Golly, Poster

1. online merch...because I'm 16 and for the life of me can't get my parents to let me go to concerts...

2. I'd love to see them play at any music fair...I'ma big fan of those

3. Assertion of their independence from the man!...ok just the mainstream music industry

4. I really love videos...more videos of them recording or just everyday life

These are things I'd like just in general from them; not necessarily for these post- label times...I still listen to them; still love them

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

Cendrillon wrote:
I WANNA GO TO CORNERSTONE. But my mom is like, no, maybe that's something you can do in college. Camp in the mud.

Also, Summerfest, yes.

Uggh! I hate so much not being able to do things that I want to like go to concerts...there are so many concerts I would love to go to...I think my parents are gonna let me go to Bonnaroo and Lilith Fair, but there are so many others I would have loved to go to in the past...I'm just looking forward to when I'm an adult and have my own money taht i can spend ont hings that i want to

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

1) Focus on exposure through live performance.
The more Eisley does live, the better they will do.

The more time they spend with producers fidgeting in studios, the worse they will do.

That is all.

I forget what it was, there were clips from some special Eisley did where it was just the girls playing acoustic guitars on a park bench. It was impressive. Just banging out their songs on a park bench with acoustics sounded better than anything a producer has managed to formulate by piecing together perfect little processed clips of them in a studio. The exception being some very studio/effects oriented stuff like Marsh King's Daughter, that are fun sometimes.

Play out a lot; especially in their home region, and put out a lot of live-performance based recorded material. Its what they really do best.

I'm sure everyone here hates the grateful dead... they weren't really my cup of tea for the most part. But where I finished high school, at the time, there was a big neo-hippy resurgence at the time, and there were a lot of kids I knew who were really into them. I took a listen (I was right of the boat from London and had never heard of them before) to some of their albums and thought they stunk.. Well, their studio albums mostly did stink. But nobody was listening to their studio albums. Everyone was listening to bootlegs and going to shows. And that stuff was pretty impressive, if you warm up to jam-band/blues/folk-rock type stuff. I got dragged to a show or two... guess what... they were pretty absorbing... I never became a fan, but it was pretty clear on which side their bread was being buttered, and that they understood it. I don't think Jerry died poor!

2) Stay away from producers. New Order dumped their producer after their flop of a first album, and became one of the biggest bands around throughout the eighties, cranking out one critically acclaimed album after another. Didn't use a producer again until Republic, which was critically panned and a relative commercial flop (not uncoincidentally, that was also when they first signed to a major- it was basically career ending) . The Smiths ditched their producer after the not-so-well-received eponymous album, and produced Meat is Murder, to this day an enduring classic. I could go on and on. For the thousandth time; Eisley's best recordings by far have been live ones, and stuff they recorded in their bedroom. Why are they paying producers to screw it up?

3) Turn the rhythm section back on. It used to have a punch. I don't think the change is just down to the change of personnel... I think some of it is probably stylistic training from corporate producers, etc that were intent on turning them into cheeze whiz. Eisley isn't a girl band. It is a band that has some girls in it, singing and stuff, but it also has a rhythm section that needs to be part of the band again. It was really much better that way. That was the difference, for instance, between, say, No Doubt and Brittany Spears. Listen to original recordings of Marvelous things, Sunfeet, the EP2 Telescope Eyes, etc. There is a groove. A driving energy under it all. Somewhere along the line, someone seems to have convinced them that wasn't the kind of music that would sell best to soap operas, mall musaq providers, and other markets they were being steered towards. That was dumb. It's made a big difference to their sound, and is part of the reason they haven't been able to carry their early success forward.

4) Drop the industry-pro marketing speak and be real people again. Stop referring to the places we live as "markets" and to us as "demographics". We are people who happen to like their music. That was the really the beginning of the end when that cr*p started. An artist without authenticity is just product. Sure there is a business side to anything you hope to do for a living, but do you live for the "business", or for the thing.. which one do you turn into your identity. I hope its the thing, because "business", paradoxically, doesn't sell.

In short, I wish for them to do all the things again they did right when they found success initially, until either they decided or someone convinced them that if they wanted to be "successful", they had to do things the corporate way.
Last edited by inorbit on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:42 pm; edited 6 times in total
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

inorbit wrote:

I forget what it was, there were clips from some special Eisley did where it was just the girls playing acoustic guitars on a park bench. It was impressive. Just banging out their songs on a park bench with acoustics sounded better than anything a producer has managed to formulate by piecing together perfect little processed clips of them in a studio.

I watch those clips on youtube once a week. That version of Go Away is one of my all time favs.

http://inconnumag.com
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:

The more time they spend with producers fidgeting in studios, the worse they will do.

That is all.

I forget what it was, there were clips from some special Eisley did where it was just the girls playing acoustic guitars on a park bench. It was impressive. Just banging out their songs on a park bench with acoustics sounded better than anything a producer has managed to formulate by piecing together perfect little processed clips of them in a studio. The exception being some very studio/effects oriented stuff like Marsh King's Daughter, that are fun sometimes.

Play out a lot; especially in their home region, and put out a lot of live-performance based recorded material. Its what they really do best.

I'm sure everyone here hates the grateful dead... they weren't really my cup of tea for the most part. But where I finished high school, at the time, there was a big neo-hippy resurgence at the time, and there were a lot of kids I knew who were really into them. I took a listen (I was right of the boat from London and had never heard of them before) to some of their albums and thought they stunk.. Well, their studio albums mostly did stink. But nobody was listening to their studio albums. Everyone was listening to bootlegs and going to shows. And that stuff was pretty impressive, if you warm up to jam-band/blues/folk-rock type stuff. I got dragged to a show or two... guess what... they were pretty absorbing... I never became a fan, but it was pretty clear on which side their bread was being buttered, and that they understood it. I don't think Jerry died poor!

2) Stay away from producers. New Order dumped their producer after their flop of a first album, and became one of the biggest bands around throughout the eighties, cranking out one critically acclaimed album after another. Didn't use a producer again until Republic, which was critically panned and a relative commercial flop (not uncoincidentally, that was also when they first signed to a major- it was basically career ending) . The Smiths ditched their producer after the not-so-well-received eponymous album, and produced Meat is Murder, to this day an enduring classic. I could go on and on. For the thousandth time; Eisley's best recordings by far have been live ones, and stuff they recorded in their bedroom. Why are they paying producers to screw it up?

3) Turn the rhythm section back on. It used to have a punch. I don't think the change is just down to the change of personnel... I think some of it is probably stylistic training from corporate producers, etc that were intent on turning them into cheeze whiz. Eisley isn't a girl band. It is a band that has some girls in it, singing and stuff, but it also has a rhythm section that needs to be part of the band again. It was really much better that way. That was the difference, for instance, between, say, No Doubt and Brittany Spears. Listen to original recordings of Marvelous things, Sunfeet, the EP2 Telescope Eyes, etc. There is a groove. A driving energy under it all. Somewhere along the line, someone seems to have convinced them that wasn't the kind of music that would sell best to soap operas, mall musaq providers, and other markets they were being steered towards. That was dumb. It's made a big difference to their sound, and is part of the reason they haven't been able to carry their early success forward.

4) Drop the industry-pro marketing speak and be real people again. Stop referring to the places we live as "markets" and to us as "demographics". We are people who happen to like their music. That was the really the beginning of the end when that cr*p started. An artist without authenticity is just product. Sure there is a business side to anything you hope to do for a living, but do you live for the "business", or for the thing.. which one do you turn into your identity. I hope its the thing, because "business", paradoxically, doesn't sell.

In short, I wish for them to do all the things again they did right when they found success initially, until either they decided or someone convinced them that if they wanted to be "successful", they had to do things the corporate way.

QFT
Morwen
Sea Post King

inorbit wrote:
I'm sure everyone here hates the grateful dead

woah, way to make a HUGE and way incorrect generalisation.
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Big ups on the ones I left in the quote, especially #3. I noticed and loved the Eisley groove/heavy rhythm they had in the mix before...and usually had in gb demos.

Hopefully, whatever musical direction they go into now, there will be music and touring to be shared with the masses/fans!

inorbit wrote:

redboots
Sea Post King

1) summer tour + LP 3 release (on vinyl, too)

2) more in-stores. places like good records in dallas, waterloo in austin, grimeys in nashville, etc. went to one last fall where we had to pre-order the CD to get in... good idea. guarantees you some sales. good for fans.

3) collaboration with others... like that silver springs cover. cool.

4) merch. how about for LP 3 release you sell merch w/ digital downloads? Of Montreal was doing that at a show I went to recently and I thought it was a great idea... makes it worth it for someone to buy the music instead of steal it. and since sherri & boyd design the merch, it will all be going back into the band.
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
3. More collaboration. The "Silver Spring" cover is magic. "One More Day With You" is magic. Go make friends with more bands and record lots of songs with them.

This.

"Boulders" by New Found Glory and "Cemetary" by Say Anything are infinitely better with the girls' involvement. I would love to see a few true duets. I'm a sucker for songs with both male and female vocals. Get the singer from Mute Math to join in on an Eisley song. That could be pretty wonderful.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Jared x wrote:
Saellys wrote:
3. More collaboration. The "Silver Spring" cover is magic. "One More Day With You" is magic. Go make friends with more bands and record lots of songs with them.

This.

"Boulders" by New Found Glory and "Cemetary" by Say Anything are infinitely better with the girls' involvement. I would love to see a few true duets. I'm a sucker for songs with both male and female vocals. Get the singer from Mute Math to join in on an Eisley song. That could be pretty wonderful.

Adding to my long list:
1) more voices- We wanna hear Chauntelle sing more. We like what we've heard and want more of it.
2) (in the spirit of the above quotes)- more collabs w. Christie.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

going back to the name MossEisley maybe? representing leaving WB as well as returning back to indie, haha.

or maybe just naming the next album MossEisley

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
gundamit
Golly, Poster

inorbit has been dropping some pretty good posts and the one in this thread is no exception. I connected most with the suggestion that Eisley needs to play live more and good things will follow.

If becoming a road band is not int the cards for Eisley because of other commitments, then keep posting clips everywhere. Collaborations, covers, new song betas and even reworkings old songs, get them out there onto your social networks.

Eisley is a band, not a brand. And the band is whatever they decide they want to be. If they just want to focus on the music and market themselves "mom and pop" style, I believe they will see a constant albeit slow uptick in fans and revenue. The cream will rise.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>