Laughing City
sully_51
Golly, Poster

Operation: Eisley
Mission: Get to Kansas City for Eisley Concert

So I purchased my ticket for the KC show when they first went on sale, and made up my mind that I would be going to the show no matter what the cost. Little did I know...

I live in Iowa, five to six hours north of Kansas City. An easy drive down I-35 for a weekend trip, so no problems expected.

ENTER WORK.
I was sent to LA for two weeks to help with a new client there, and was to come back to Iowa, flying into Des Moines, Friday night. My flight was due to arrive in DM around midnight, where I would be picked up and driven back to Mason City, where I live. From there, I would grab my truck, drive down to Kansas City, arriving sometime around 8:00AM. Take a nap, catch up with some friends, and get to the show with plenty of time to spare. No problem.

ENTER PHOENIX.
I had a connection in Phoenix on my flight back to DM. This flight was overbooked, and weight restricted. I got bumped. New plan. Stay in Phoenix for the night, flight leaves at 9:00AM Saturday morning, get to DM at 2:00PM, get my truck at 4:00PM, and arrive in Kansas City between 9:00 and 10:00PM, just making it in time to see the show. So I get up bright and early Saturday, catcha taxi to the airport, and stand in line for my ticket. 45 minutes later, I have my ticket, bag's checked, and I'm heading to security (which actually went pretty quickly). Security goes fine, and I walk up to the gate and see a very bad omen. "Volunteers Requested". Seems the new flight has weight restrictions as well, and was already a full flight before I was put on it.

ENTER PHOENIX, PART 2.
I got bumped, again. This time, there are no more flights until late Saturday night, and I would not make it to KC. So I did what any devoted fan would do. I changed my flight to Kansas City. While waiting for the change, I hopped on the laptop and reserved a car rental at the KC Airport, knowing I would need it, since I would not have my vehicle. I board the plane to KC, thinking to myself "All is well, I will get there, see the show, and figure out getting home tomorrow".

ENTER DES MOINES.
Much to my surprise, when I arrived in Kansas City, my luggage was circling a baggage claim in Des Moines. That's right, they didn't change my luggage to the new plane. At this point, I'm wearing dress clothes (nice slacks, button down, dress shoes, etc.). I have no clothes to change into for the concert. So I pick up my rental car, and drive to Kohl's. $80 later, and I have some new clothes and a pair of shoes to wear to the show.

ENTER TICKET.
Or to be more precise, exit ticket. My ticket is nowhere to be found. At this point, I can only assume it is safely tucked away in my checked luggage in Des Moines. Thankfully, when I got to the venue, I caught Boyd and told him my tales of woe, and showed him my email receipt of the ticket I purchased (+1 for smartphones), and he got me put on the super-special "list" (a napkin, to be exact).

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
I MADE IT!!! I got to see Eisley, and I think it's the best show I've seen so far. Nora and crew were fun to hang with, and it is always a pleasure to see and talk with the Duprees, and Todd. Plus Boyd gave me a free shirt for my troubles. Very Happy

I ended up driving a rental back to Des Moines last night, looking to get my luggage. In true form to the rest of my travels on this journey, there was nobody there who could get my bag out of lockup for me. A driver from work picked me up from DM and drove me the rest of the way home, but my bags still sit in Des Moines. I hope someday to be reunited with them, as I do love my things (not to mention that all those clothes are brand new purchased for this business trip...).

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Wow, that was quite an ordeal! The best things in life are worth the effort, though. Smile Woooooo!

Are they going to mail your luggage to you?

johnip
Vintage Newbie

Now that's dedication!
Vintage Newbie

*salutes* you are a better fan than I.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
boyd
Eisleyoid

We did give him a free t-shirt... no way that paid back that kind of dedication however. Kansas City ruled... the singing was the loudest and random fans were screaming - out-of-control - during songs as if they'd lost their mind. Still not sure if they were excited or if they were being electrocuted. Either way, it was fun. Thanks Dave.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Plan more "Pre Holiday" shows on a Saturday where people have monday off, and I promise you you'll get more of that than you could ever imagine no matter where you go, cause Good Rock Bands bring that out in a crowd that have a full two days to recover Laughing

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Congratulations
Sea Post King

I'm glad you made it to the show and had a great time after all of that. Great story. Smile
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

Congratulations wrote:
I'm glad you made it to the show and had a great time after all of that. Great story. Smile

+1 Smile

rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

That was a great story. Nice and suspenseful. When I started reading "ENTER PHOENIX, PART 2" I was saying in my mind, "Just fly into KC!!" Hooray for a happy ending.

Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Glad you made it dude. It was awesome to meet you and I had a ton of fun hanging out with you!

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
sully_51
Golly, Poster

cynlovescandy wrote:
Wow, that was quite an ordeal! The best things in life are worth the effort, though. Smile Woooooo!

Are they going to mail your luggage to you?

I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone who can actually give me information on my luggage yet, but I will be making sure it is mailed. No way I'm driving to that airport to get it.

TheParonomasial_Mattoid wrote:
Glad you made it dude. It was awesome to meet you and I had a ton of fun hanging out with you!

It was great meeting you as well! I look forward to hanging out at future shows!

boyd wrote:
We did give him a free t-shirt... no way that paid back that kind of dedication however. Kansas City ruled... the singing was the loudest and random fans were screaming - out-of-control - during songs as if they'd lost their mind. Still not sure if they were excited or if they were being electrocuted. Either way, it was fun. Thanks Dave.

The shirt was totally not necessary, but very much appreciated. You guys are awesome people with hearts of gold. Even with all the hassle to get there, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything!