27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
It's good, but I like ____ better.
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Bleh, couldn't get into it.
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Haven't heard it yet. I should get on that...
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
....Arcade Fire?
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I'm probably the only person who thinks "Month of May" sounds very Pixies, but it does to me.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

This has nothing to do with their new album, but how did I miss this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wEBmLht5g&feature=related

No, seriously. How did I miss this? Shocked

sebas
Golly, Poster

They're going to be on the Daily Show tonight.

-Mahatma, Gandhi
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

sebas wrote:
They're going to be on the Daily Show tonight.

I don't think I've seen many (or any?) video interviews with Win Butler, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts to jokes. David Byrne on Colbert was funny.

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I'm probably the only person who thinks "Month of May" sounds very Pixies, but it does to me.

I am such a rabid fan of Pixies that I see their influence on all sorts of bands, whether it be there or not. However, I remember thinking this about Arcade Fire before, so I'll keep that in mind next time I listen to Month of May.

Vintage Newbie

"Month Of May" kind of gives me a Queens Of The Stone Age vibe, actually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

It generally takes me weeks (sometimes longer) to form good opinions of most albums I buy. In general (maybe too general), albums that I immediately like don't have much staying power while ones I don't immediately like have the potential to be some of my favorites. (For example, I didn't care for Ben Folds Five's The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner at first, but now it's my favorite album.)

After several listens I'm still feeling this one out. But some tracks are starting to click. I think the band does a pretty good job of ordering the tracks on their albums. The songs seem to flow together so nicely and the mood and tempo never seem to stay the exact same for too long.

Right now I'm really liking the back-to-back of Sprawl I and Sprawl II. They're so different musically but they work well together. I haven't figured out why I feel that way though. (I haven't been paying very close attention to the lyrics yet.) I really like the disco-y-ness of Sprawl II.

So yeah... those are my early impressions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Both of the "II"s feel kinda like "Heart of Glass."

I didn't think about it until reading about it in a few reviews.

here goes Daily Show "ready to start" and "month of may"

http://pitchfork.com/news/39747-arcade-fire-hit-the-daily-show/

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I saw them on The Daily Show last night. They still sound like the lamest, most overrated band this side of Coldplay. There's like 8 or 9 musicians, but they mostly get lost over the constant 8th note crunch of 3 or 4 different chords. The two drummers played nearly the exact same parts the entire time. Could barely hear the bowed instruments. The lead singer sounded like Conor Oberst without the quality lyrics or melodic content.

I just don't understand the appeal of this band. Anyone have a few youtube studio recordings from the latest album to recommend for me? I'm willing to listen to that before I close the book.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sebas
Golly, Poster

DRMS_7888 wrote:
I saw them on The Daily Show last night. They still sound like the lamest, most overrated band this side of Coldplay. There's like 8 or 9 musicians, but they mostly get lost over the constant 8th note crunch of 3 or 4 different chords. The two drummers played nearly the exact same parts the entire time. Could barely hear the bowed instruments. The lead singer sounded like Conor Oberst without the quality lyrics or melodic content.

I just don't understand the appeal of this band. Anyone have a few youtube studio recordings from the latest album to recommend for me? I'm willing to listen to that before I close the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAitZuh4ueg&feature=related

(the whole album is there)

I thought their performances were good. I really like it when people get into their own music, so it kind of compensated for not being able to hear all the instruments properly. I agree with people on here saying the album is more of a headphone one, or at least a stereo one at a high volume.

-Mahatma, Gandhi
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:

Those are probably the two most 'basic' songs on the album. They don't tend to do any 'out there' chord changes or anything. Then again, neither does Jeff Mangum. It's more the other aspects they bring to it - the tone of the vocal, lyrics, attitude, etc.

But that was my first disappointment on the first listen - kinda like "they're not really pushing music in any direction," but more of it does come out subtly on headphones.

rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:

It's funny. I was thoroughly unimpressed by the band when I first heard them. Ashleigh played some of their songs for me and claims that I hated them. (I remember she had Funeral before I knew anything about the band, but I don't really remember listening to the songs. But the fact that I don't remember could mean that I totally dismissed them.)

At some point after that (maybe a year... who knows) I'm flipping through the channels and I land on Austin City Limits on PBS. I didn't know the band but Ashleigh informs me that it's the Arcade Fire. For whatever reason I watched and I really liked what I saw (I only saw them do a few songs I think). From that moment on I started liking the band. Well, I don't mean that a switch was flipped immediately from hate to love. I just mean that it planted a "like seed" that slowly grew into a "like tree" (or something).

One of my early complaints about some of their songs was they seemed repetitive and almost monotonous at times. I still find that to be the case at times, but some of their songs also tend to have very strong, deliberate beats and rhythms. And I tend to be drawn to songs like that. I have a hard time describing what I mean, but it's kind of the same quality that makes me like The Strokes (although I wouldn't say they're anything like Arcade Fire).

So yeah. I can definitely see how people wouldn't like the band. I'm currently most fond of Neon Bible, but I think Funeral has my favorite Arcade Fire song.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
boone
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Both of the "II"s feel kinda like "Heart of Glass."

I didn't think about it until reading about it in a few reviews.

here goes Daily Show "ready to start" and "month of may"

http://pitchfork.com/news/39747-arcade-fire-hit-the-daily-show/

I love the Butlers' Mosrites. It'd be neat if they made them cool again. And the ubiquitous Mosrite Joe Maphis bass; it's become THE Arcade Fire bass.

This is cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVW9usMRgNE. Terry Gilliam! And the new Spider-Man.

EDIT: Here are some clips from the webcast. http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeFireVEVO