Laughing City
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
The Man In The Moon wrote:
hahaha i never bashed combinations! i just don't see it as an experimental album in anyway.

I'm just saying, the criteria you gave--"experimenting with different instruments (that don't fall into the background like strings and the marxophone) and pushing their sound to work in different ways"--describes Combinations. Taking it further than that would require Chauntelle to play a sitar onstage or something comparable.

OH! i meant in that statement that i feel strings and the marxophone fall into the background too much, not as instruments that stick out.

--edit 1

ahh sorry i've got my head all twisted over some of these.

i mean, different instruments don't have to be complex. playing with sound can be done in various ways

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
hahaha i never bashed combinations! i just don't see it as an experimental album in anyway.

I'm just saying, the criteria you gave--"experimenting with different instruments (that don't fall into the background like strings and the marxophone) and pushing their sound to work in different ways"--describes Combinations. Taking it further than that would require Chauntelle to play a sitar onstage or something comparable.

OH! i meant in that statement that i feel strings and the marxophone fall into the background too much, not as instruments that stick out.

I gotcha. I agree about the strings but not the marxophone--that was a pretty prominent part of the title track. And there was quite a bit of random instrumentation on Combinations that was not standard Eisley fare.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Man In the Moon - Wasn't picking on you OR invoking Combinations as experimental music in the purest sense, (like mic'ing three fridges and letting their hum be the music) it was an expansion of their sound.

Last time a thread about the goodness of demos prior to a release came up the backlash came out something fierce. The Stacy solo album anticipatory love can probably be scientifically measured in contrast to Baby Swooning, with a ration of 2:1 and Baby Swooning can be contrasted to Combihatin' 2:1

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
Saellys wrote:

I gotcha. I agree about the strings but not the marxophone--that was a pretty prominent part of the title track. And there was quite a bit of random instrumentation on Combinations that was not standard Eisley fare.

perhaps you're right, and i'm being a little too critical with the marxophone. listening again right now, it is the most unique instrument composition track on combinations and second to marsh king's daughter. i feel though they could take compositions like combinations and make it even more experimental, you know? expand on it a bit. i unfortunately am not too keen with If You're Wondering, though it probably has the third most unique instrument choice composition.

songs like Combinations, Marvelous Things, Cobalt, Blackened Crown, The Mainframe could easily expand on their compositions, even by just adding various sounds, to be experimental pieces. I feel though out of this batch i've mentioned Cobalt is musically the most experimental piece regardless of instrument choice. for songs like Marvelous Things, i really love the delay effect that sherri (i think) does live. it's stuff like that that can add more to their songs.

i'm not sure if any of this made sense now, but i tried!

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

alinicole wrote:
bigideas wrote:
kLafied wrote:
Stacy posted on Myspace recently that she has been busy traveling between 3 states a few times each month... maybe she is really putting time into this solo project?
she still actively uses myspace? is it a privatized account?

Methinks she meant facebook:

Stacy (via Facebook) wrote:
Just saying hello to all...I've been way busy traveling to 3 states a few times each month! Thank you for all your sincere messages and wall posts. I hope you have a great christmas!!!

I have no idea why I said myspace...facebook haha.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Those two songs Christie did for that collaborative project were pretty awesome and maybe closer to what folks would like to hear... the last two tracks on her player at myspace.com/christiedupreemusic (one being a bjork cover)

Which one's a Bjork cover?

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
Those two songs Christie did for that collaborative project were pretty awesome and maybe closer to what folks would like to hear... the last two tracks on her player at myspace.com/christiedupreemusic (one being a bjork cover)

Neither, The Final Honor was written by Danny or David Robert (I'm pretty sure it was Danny) and the Camille and the Trees was written by Christie.

Where did you hear that, Wil?

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

Neither, The Final Honor was written by Danny or David Robert (I'm pretty sure it was Danny) and the Camille and the Trees was written by Christie.

didn't christie write the lyrics for both of those songs? just the music was done by danny.

-Mae West
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

For some reason I thought the Final Honor sounded like something on Selma Songs. probably had I've Seen It All on the brain. Fail O' Rama for me! Embarassed That's what happens when I fleeting thought on the first listen becomes a fleeting recollection. Let this be a lesson to you all, Do Your Research Laughing & and don't trust anything I say to be accurate Wink

But as far as I'm concerned, when Eisley do songs that sound closer to Irish Folk music (waltzes and the like) I love them. It's traditional music, but not traditionally what you hear in pop music. They have a gift for that, along with other styles of music.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
alinicole wrote:
bigideas wrote:
kLafied wrote:
Stacy posted on Myspace recently that she has been busy traveling between 3 states a few times each month... maybe she is really putting time into this solo project?

Just saying hello to all...I've been way busy traveling to 3 states a few times each month! Thank you for all your sincere messages and wall posts. I hope you have a great christmas!!!

Whyspace? Now there's a blast from the all-too-recent past. Laughing

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

grain thrower wrote:
kLafied wrote:
alinicole wrote:
bigideas wrote:
kLafied wrote:

Whyspace? Now there's a blast from the all-too-recent past. Laughing

Murdoch-land.
LacyFace
Sea Post King

First chance to see stacy solo! Wish i lived there. http://jeremylarson.typepad.com/jeremy_larson/
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

a four hour trip huh via i-44??? I've never been to Springfield... Be awesome if the train ran there, but it doesn't Sad Taking a quasi-Trolley to the show would be a nice touch. it's a saturday, so that doesn't hurt...

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

LacyFace wrote:
First chance to see stacy solo! Wish i lived there. http://jeremylarson.typepad.com/jeremy_larson/

Does his website have some new fangled program requirements or something? I can't see any entries.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I'm totally making the trip for it. 3 hours is worth it and my brother lives in Springfield and I have a TON of friends there so I can stay with anyone.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Last edited by The_Paronomasial_Mattoid on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>