Laughing City
Congratulations
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
Then Gran Turismo ratcheted up the modern appeal and edgy mood, so the album literally snatched your attention and emotions, and held them hostage till it was done. I think this is Eisley's Gran Turismo.

I love Gran Turismo . It's such a great album.

I think it's interesting how lots of folks are mentioning song skipping. I love Combinations, but I skip two songs all the time:
I Could Be There For You and A Sight To Behold.

Now don't get me wrong. I enjoy both songs, and I love how they end up. But for some reason the intros to both of them really rub me the wrong way. I think it might be telling that Stacy ended up writing that new live intro for ICBTFY, which I really liked.

I'm listening to the title track (Combinations) right now. So beautiful. Smile
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
savelatin
Sea Post King

I think this thread is a testament to the subjectivity of music. My 2 favorite Eisley songs ever are probably Many Funerals and I Could Be There For You, which have already been mentioned as "skippers". I personally think everything Eisley has done has been very strong, its just different facets of the band connect with different people. I know a lot of fans love the dreamy fantastical "bat with butterfly wings" type lyrics, while some (like me) love the harder and more moody songs, and other fans connect with other things about the band. There's just a lot of things to love about Eisley, and some of us love some things more than others. Smile

Quote:
I'm with Mr. Pine that I had both EPs for nearly a couple of years before I had Room Noises, so the measure of that album for me was the new songs, and I didn't find any of them as compelling as the ones from the EPs. Winter Song, Memories, and Tree Tops were hold-overs from the EPs that I really dug, and even Sea King.

This is spot on for me too. It's hard for me to judge RN as a whole, knowing a lot of the songs beforehand. I think this is part of the reason I slightly prefer Combinations. While RN does flow better, it even now seems disjointed to me cause I listened to those EPs so darn much and here they were mixed in with "newer" songs. Combinations was pretty fresh for me. Honestly though, I don't really view Eisley as an "album" band and usually when I listen to them I just put on my "Eisley" playlist on shuffle.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

^ I haven't read the whole thread, but someone mentioned ICBT4U as a skipper??!! I thought that was a consensus fan favorite.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

savelatin wrote:
I think this thread is a testament to the subjectivity of music.

Amen.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Didn't we beat this to death about two years ago?
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

inorbit wrote:
Didn't we beat this to death about two years ago?

Amen ... again.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It's gonna come up with EVERY release, cause people like to play favorites, just like when the rereleased Star Wars and all my geekish friends went and saw it 4 times just so it could have a higher gross than Titanic.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

You guys actually had some cogent objective in seeing Star Wars multiple times?

I only saw the re-release once, but all the kids I knew saw the original release as many times as they could get out of their parents just to say they'd seen it more times than you!

I knew one kid who claimed to have seen it 14 times (at first run). But he was a Kuwaiti prince or something, and pretty much got whatever he wanted, period (from his nanny).
^the most guilt-free thread hijack ever
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Laughing at the Kuwaiti + Hi Jacking in the same posting...

Meanwhile in 1999: I didn't go see ANY of them in the theaters after the first run when I saw Empire and Return. I don't think I saw those but once. I did see Revenge of the Sith in the theaters though.

Anyways, Eisley is a Star Wars reference, so it's all game right???

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
boone
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I was in Kirksville MO, everything is 2 years behind up there Wink

I'm trying to figure this out in my head now, cause if Titantic came out in December 97'* , my wires are crossed. But I KNOW this is what happened.

I know where we were, when Phantom Menace was released, for a limited time they re-ran the Special Edition of the Original Trilogy. That's got me thinking that the little "movement" was actually in support of Phantom Menace which is all kinds of pathetic in retrospect Laughing

*courtesy of IMDB and not my memory, though I remember caving in and finally watching it on 2part VHS with my neighbors some time in 1998 which jibes.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

phantom menace came out in 1999.
clone wars 2002.
revenge of the sith 2005.

the releases of the original trilogy were in 1997. starting in may with a new hope.

i saw phantom menace in the theater i think 10 times.

then i saw clone wars twice (back to back)
then revenge once.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

This is what happens when you're a week away from 35 years old, and getting progressively more skilled in the art of haphazardly hitting your skull against blunt stationary objects. Laughing

<< prev | goto page