Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
True, but to be honest, there are a lot of people who will just download one song, or buy and album based on one song, and their money is as good as mine, so why not get it? Very Happy

Not saying you shouldn't. But that's likely the only purchase you ever get out of them; they'll never buy the actual album, merch, show tickets, future recordings, etc, so the interesting question is how many of those purchases you need to get for every potential fan who would have done those things but won't because either they think they don't really like Eisley as Smarter is the only Eisley song they know, or they never hear Eisley. The channels through which they learn about music will never play Smarter because, by itself, it sounds a bit too much like cock-rock. And those channels might not play anything else by Eisley, either, if their programmers only associate Eisley with Smarter, causing them to write them off as a non-fit.

Judging by the sticker, Oxygen Mask might be a single, which is an 180 of sorts. But if you come back with Sad or Better Love even Mr. Moon instead, the continuity is there. I have plenty of albums that seem to have two agendas, and still work, and their singles don't represent it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Heck, Nevermind, the record that Changed the World and History Of Music is a perfect example, and I couldn't stand any of the tracks between Polly and Something in the Way at first. But there was enough there to hold me, and I grew to appreciate most all of it. It can work, it does work, and hopefully will work for Eisley, with people who aren't as invested in their success artistically and commercially as much as we've grown to.

But me, I'm thinking, they've come out swinging with Marvelous Things (if you count it instead of Telescope Eyes) and Invasion, rockers, for the first singles up to now. Me, I was sucked in by MT and found the EP and the Laughing City EP to be different than what I might have expected, but pleasing. Invasion was a rocker too, of a different sort, and there were more propulsive songs on Combinations

Because of the arrangements for the verses being very piano heavy and more subdued than the Intro, bridge and chorus, I think the songs hooks into the Eisley sound enough where the rest of the album won't be as much of a depart as it seems, at least as far as the kenetic nature of at least half of the other songs. Because Marvelous Things was my primer for Room Noises I was a little let down with the album because it seems like the odd one out, and that they'd abandoned rocking out in that particular way for the most part, on that record.

I think Eisley's ability to have a wide palette of styles works in their favor, and I think we may be over-playing their ability to smooth out the rough Edge that is that Riff with their harmonies, and the keys to counter it. I think that's enough, and if all someone hears is the Guitar and not those other elements, so that hearing them elsewhere in the music is a turn off, well losing that person is probably going to be a little easier than say, a kid like my old neighbor, who Loves Avenged Seven Fold and Slipnot, but flipped for Joni Mitchell when she got a chance to hear it for the first time? She's a Eisley fan now.

So, what I'm saying is, it might be unwise to sell people short. If people who Loved Welcome to the Jungle & Paradise City can be over the mood for Don't Cry and November Rain anything is Possible. People have more range than we might give them credit for, or be proud to admit.

I remember when none of the Alternative and hard rock stations played ANY rap, and then Beck came along, and THEN Eminem came along, and Linkin Park, and EVERYTHING changed. The same kids I have around here who will listen to Nickelback, at the drop of the hat will know the words to a Little Wayne song, but then surprise you with some ballad they know, usually a country song around here. But yeah, when Staind goes from the Mookiest of Rock, to a depressing AIC paint by numbers tune, to playing amped up Power Ballads, and keeps the same fans, you have to consider anything's possible. Disturbed making a big hit out of a Genesis Pop Rock song, and staying pretty true to it, with fans that were the ones Burning Down woodstock 99'? And yeah, Eminem getting Modern Rock Alternative Stations to play a Dido song, siting "Yeah, this is the one Eminem sampled for 'Stan', check it out," and then coming out of it with the latest Mooktastic Korn song. It happened, and people ended up using that as an impetus to go there. Male and female. Sort of like how I know so many girls who LOVE Tool. (man that sounds awful Embarassed but it's the truth)

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

I have always thought that Eisley should be targeting the NPR demographic -- they seem to like artistically-interesting melodic rock, and their listeners are probably more likely to actually buy entire albums, I'd bet. I first heard Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine on some NPR show.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

StuartBuck wrote:
I have always thought that Eisley should be targeting the NPR demographic -- they seem to like artistically-interesting melodic rock, and their listeners are probably more likely to actually buy entire albums, I'd bet.

this

Vintage Newbie

^seconded, or is this thirded.

Keep in mind NPR's demographic is pretty wide ranging two, they'll go really indie, then go for a straight up rock act, and if you go by their Live podcast, Where I got a full show from Sunny Day Real Estate.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

johnip wrote:
StuartBuck wrote:
I have always thought that Eisley should be targeting the NPR demographic -- they seem to like artistically-interesting melodic rock, and their listeners are probably more likely to actually buy entire albums, I'd bet.

this

An Eisley Tiny Desk Concert would be awesome. And All Things Considered often profile bands with arbitrary unique aspects (Buke and Gass were the most recent ones I remember hearing). Best jump on that before NPR loses its funding. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Congratulations
Sea Post King

Kit wrote:
People still listen to the radio?

WTOP News...traffic and weather on the eights!

(I had no idea until recently that it's the second largest grossing radio station in the country behind KIIS FM in L.A.)

But yeah, I mostly listen to CD's in the car once I've heard the traffic and weather. It would be cool to catch some Eisley randomly on the radio, though, even if Smarter wouldn't be my first choice.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
WA The Clash
Lost at Forum

http://kexp.org/about/email.asp?email=dj

This is pretty much the only station I listen up in Seattle. They do a great job of promoting local artists (think Band of Horses before they got big).
I've requested other bands before and they normally (unless it is a busy day or something) play the song sometime in the set.

Also it would be great if the band can arrange an in studio performance the next time they hit Seattle.

Best part is the stream is worldwide!
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

WA The Clash wrote:
http://kexp.org/about/email.asp?email=dj
Also it would be great if the band can arrange an in studio performance the next time they hit Seattle.

YES. Those KEXP sessions are always first-rate, they have sound engineers who actually know what the hell all those sliders do.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:

But if you come back with Sad or Better Love even Mr. Moon instead, the continuity is there.

Sad yes. The other two, completely disagree. Entirely different animals.

wilsmith wrote:

I have plenty of albums that seem to have two agendas, and still work, and their singles don't represent it.

Sure. How many people bought Doolittle because they liked Here Comes Your Man, or Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me because they liked Catch or Just Like Heaven. What a rude shock they must have had. Come for the melodic folk pop, stay for the ear-bleeding, screaming, feedback-drenched art-noise. Come for the catchy, sentimental pop love ballads, stay for the brutal dark psy-rock experimentalism. This is a similar, but kind of reversed, I think.

That kind of bait and switch used to be very effective at moving product for bands who wanted to do less vapidly commercial stuff on their albums.
The difference is, most people don't buy an album because they've heard one song anymore. They find a way to listen to most of it before the even consider buying the album. The way the market works these days, I'm not sure if that strategy is still as effective.

I don't see the Valley as having two different agendas. It has a lot of variety. It undulates coherently. Smarter sits on the extreme fringe of one of those undulations. In the context of the album, I think it works. If you were going to pull out one song from the Valley to represent current era Eisley to the public catch them fans, I still going to maintain Smarter doesn't do what you want it to.

wilsmith wrote:

But me, I'm thinking, they've come out swinging with Marvelous Things (if you count it instead of Telescope Eyes) and Invasion, rockers, for the first singles up to now. Me, I was sucked in by MT and found the EP and the Laughing City EP to be different than what I might have expected, but pleasing. Invasion was a rocker too, of a different sort, and there were more propulsive songs on Combinations

MT, etc are a completely different kind of music. The atmosphere between it and, say JLWD is consistent. They have always had a stylistic range, though, which has always worked for them. That doesn't mean that when the experiment (even laudably) with a completely uncharacteristic style, it serves them to make it the single.

wilsmith wrote:

So, what I'm saying is, it might be unwise to sell people short. If people who Loved Welcome to the Jungle & Paradise City can be over the mood for Don't Cry and November Rain anything is Possible. People have more range than we might give them credit for, or be proud to admit.

I find your degree of familiarity with this material disturbing. Confused
Cabius
Sea Post King

inorbit wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

Hey... there's nothing wrong with a little GnR love. Wink

"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it." ~ C.S. Lewis
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Cabius wrote:
inorbit wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

Hey... there's nothing wrong with a little GnR love. Wink

There's a current thread wherein the postings say otherwise. Razz Wink

boone
Vintage Newbie

If you're looking at hitting Oregon, stations out of Eugene probably have the biggest reach. KDUK and KFLY reach most of the west half of the state. They're both owned by Bicoastal Media, so that might be a good place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:

wilsmith wrote:

What can I say? "Know Thine Enemy?!?!?" Confused

I did like Welcome to the Jungle when I first heard it and never heard another song of theirs I liked. I was what, 11 years old at the time?

But yeah, their stuff was unavoidable, even if I didn't listen, I always knew the titles cause people we so in love with them around here. Back in the days of the Video Jukebox I would have to mute the TV every other video when those came out.

boone
Vintage Newbie

Guns N Roses was a good rock band. But they should stick to their own songs and 1991.
ync
Golly, Poster

just heard smarter on the radio - i was just sitting in the tub and heard that into and froze haha - was so excited

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink