Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

The Legend of 1900 with Tim Roth... AWESOME movie!

Great soundtrack as well ...

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Shaun of the Dead. Gender divide here - the girls hated it, the guys loved it (even though we'd seen it plenty of times).

this bit has to be my favourite part of any movie ever. Ok it's in Spanish (I think) but I can't find another clip.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Salt. Chiwetel Ejiofor needs to fire his agent, stat.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

The Road

Subject two

AustinGlidden
Sea Post King

Dressed To Kill (1980; rating: 3.5/4) by Brian De Palma

And a series of Woody Allen films:
Sweet and Lowdown (rating: 2.5/4)
Alice (rating: 2.5/4)
Bullets Over Broadway (rating: 3/4)
Hollywood Ending (rating: 3/4)
Radio Days (rating: 3/4)

I'm a film student, so you guys will probably get tired of all my posts on this thread, haha. However, if anyone is interested in recommendations, I'm your man.
AustinGlidden
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
boone wrote:
Never Let Me Go was gorgeous, glorious filmmaking.

I read the book in one sitting before seeing the movie, and wasn't thrilled with the adaptation, but I did appreciate the fact that they had Garfield, Knightley, and Mulligan act out the scenes the child actor versions were in so they would have a sort of memory of those events when they filmed their own parts.

Also, Carey is just wonderful no matter what.

Never Let Me Go was one of my favorite films of the year. I wish the film academies would have given it more attention. Not only is it beautifully filmed, but it's wonderfully acted. I haven't read the book, but regardless, as a film, it's a real modern gem. Boone, I'm glad you liked it Smile
AustinGlidden
Sea Post King

Sprocket wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
The King's Speech

I feel like there aren't enough films which feature Beethoven during the climax.

Sublime.

At the cinema where I volunteer the audience applauded... I didn't know whether the response was one of patriotism or aesthetic appreciation and was troubled by not knowing!

I'm glad you folks appreciated The King's Speech. Visually speaking, the film was reminiscent of the great Stanley Kubrick. The fluid movement and artistic framing was truly something special among its competition. I was surprised I liked it so much. I'm not usually one to have a forerunner for Best Picture in my Top 5 films of the year, but 2010 changed that (with two titles, actually; the other being Black Swan).

I thought the final speech was extremely effective. What a brilliant scene.
AustinGlidden
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
life during wartime

I will just assume you have seen Happiness also? Todd Solondz is a unique filmmaker, to say the least. Certainly not for everyone, haha.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

AustinGlidden wrote:
bigideas wrote:
life during wartime

I will just assume you have seen Happiness also? Todd Solondz is a unique filmmaker, to say the least. Certainly not for everyone, haha.

Actually I haven't. I have heard of him for years, but the movies were never in rental stores for me to rent (other than Storytellers and I never wanted to rent it for some reason), and never on TV. That one just happened to be on our new expanded digital cable and when I saw it was Solondz I made a point to try and watch it to finally see something of his.

In regards to Allen above, I got the last 2 DVD box sets of his when they were really cheap at Big Lots, and then got even more of his films when all the rental stores closed. I think I still have about 5 from the 2000's that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Sprocket
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
AustinGlidden wrote:
bigideas wrote:
life during wartime

Actually I haven't. I have heard of him for years, but the movies were never in rental stores for me to rent (other than Storytellers and I never wanted to rent it for some reason), and never on TV. That one just happened to be on our new expanded digital cable and when I saw it was Solondz I made a point to try and watch it to finally see something of his.

I feel very conflicted about Happiness. It's a worthy project as it tends to make viewers reconsider their snap ethical judgements (pedophiles are evil) with equally reactionary new stances influenced by casting decisions (Phillip Seymore Hoffman was gross and creepy as a phone sex pervert, that means his character is more evil than the pleasant looking pedophile character played by Dylan Baker). Also, it's glib and cynical in tone, which I distrust. That said, it's wonderfully cast and very funny in parts. I admire it for taking a very different approach to themes that a more "Oscar worthy" film like American Beauty would take (suburbia; middle-aged mediocrity; conformism; sexual deviancy), but I wish it were more earnest somehow.

sully_51
Golly, Poster

The Girl on the Train Emilie Dequenne really was a treat to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing more from her.

An Education

The Killer Inside Me

Assassination of a High School President Bruce Willis as a High School principal. Does it get any better?

All four were quite good; not surprising considering three were Sundance films (the lone non-festival flick being The Girl on the Train). Wholeheartedly recommend all of them to everyone!

norad
Vintage Newbie

North & South

I've watched it a bunch of times now. It's like Pride and Prejudice but waaaay better.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Pregnant In America. The worst kind of independent documentary, cheesy and manipulative, but it did the trick--I'm getting a midwife.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Not movies, but mini-movies in a way, since I've been home on mornings I've come across the TV shows Tales From The Dark Side and Monsters playing in 6 hour blocks on SyFy and Chiller. They remind me of Are You Afraid of the Dark?, so I'm enjoying it.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Angel Eyes. It sucked but it had this pretty good Orbisoncore song in it.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2595 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>