Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Does she have 2 different YouTube accounts?
I want to say there was another house fixing video of hers, but it was under a different username.

It may have popped up as another suggested video back when she first started doing them.

**update**

username:
ankjuice

Last edited by bigideas on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

her house fixing vids are under the same account

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

cattink wrote:
Teaser from Sherri:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h757NwpVcfk&feature=player_embedded

Though I'm sure someone has beaten me to it.

Edit: Or maybe not...? Cool, this doesn't seem to happen often.

Smile
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Very Happy good news Smile

I also hope that it will be new songs only, and not just repackaged oldies.

Although, to be honest, any UK release would be better than those stinky US itunes only, which I never got my hopes up about.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Shadow Mouse
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:
nemo1 wrote:
Quote:
It's exciting to think of those kind of fairy tale lyrics written by someone who has experienced more of the hardships and wonders of life.

Not for me... bats with butterfly wings and marvelous things are giving me the creeps Rolling Eyes
Yeah, I'm not interested in that kind off fantasy stuff from them at their ages. I'm okay with and expect an element of whimsy from them, but I continue to hope it matures. Adolescent whimsy from a 27 year old isn't as cute as it was coming from an inexperienced teenager.

I'm excited, though. The Valley was great and some of those songs were written a few years ago, so I'm excited to see where they're at now. Especially Stacy.

I don't know, I wouldn't mind a return in that direction. I still love their music of course, but they were somewhat more unique back in those days.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I always get taken aback when the discussion turns to their lyrical content, and not their musical development. Thing is, in the past they wrote songs about dysfunctional relationships, romantic and not romantic, a lot of the time actually. The use of metaphor may have been toned down, but I see less of a shift their than I do the tone of the songs musically.

If anything I expected people to be geeking out at the chance of the more novel arrangements and twists and turns in song structures that seemed more common circa Room Noises (cause in retrospect, that's the only time the songs were really that expansive, before and after that point the songs were usually well structured and built up to logical apexes with minimal left turns. The songs unique to Room Noises were full of twists and turns. )

I think "Playful" Eisley might make a comeback, but what do I know?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Shadow Mouse wrote:
tahruh wrote:
nemo1 wrote:
Quote:
It's exciting to think of those kind of fairy tale lyrics written by someone who has experienced more of the hardships and wonders of life.

Not for me... bats with butterfly wings and marvelous things are giving me the creeps Rolling Eyes
Yeah, I'm not interested in that kind off fantasy stuff from them at their ages. I'm okay with and expect an element of whimsy from them, but I continue to hope it matures. Adolescent whimsy from a 27 year old isn't as cute as it was coming from an inexperienced teenager.

I'm excited, though. The Valley was great and some of those songs were written a few years ago, so I'm excited to see where they're at now. Especially Stacy.

I don't know, I wouldn't mind a return in that direction. I still love their music of course, but they were somewhat more unique back in those days.

Definitely unique, but unique because they were young people writing about mystical stuff in a way that was mature for their ages then. I'm not saying they can't be creative with their lyrics or whimsical like they were in the past, but since the main song writers are now adult, married women (one closing in on 30) with real lives and experience, so to speak, some maturity and growth behind their lyrics would be more appealing to me than to see a return to "I glimpsed a bat with butterfly wings." That's not to disparage that lyric, though.

I think of how Christie took up a bit of french and wrote a french lullaby a few months ago. Whimsical and true to herself and her style, but an obvious sign of growth.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Wil, give examples of what twist and turn songs you mean.

Up to their signing they wrote songs naturally. When they started working with producers some of them really changed the arrangements - I mean verse/chorus/bridge/etc., not instruments. That might be interesting to map the song structure arrangements since signing to see how similar they have been since.

nemo1
Sea Post King

As usual, Wil has taken my thoughts and added his own unique spin. I sort of agree on the song structure thing. Love or don't love Combinations, but songs like Many Funerals or Sight to Behold (quiet/loud) have a very unique dynamic that isn't as evident on the Valley. Combinations was my entry to Eisleyville, though, so that's what I loved first.

The whimsy of RN's lyrics or the even earlier songs didn't impress me as much as the harmonies and overall sound. If they sang the phone book in 3-part harmony these days, I'd probably be drawn in by the sound more than anything. And Wil will know where I'm coming from if I cite, let's say, Kate Bush or Natasha Khan (Bats for Lashes) as "eccentrics" who cut their teeth on whimsy and still persist with it to some degree even as grown ups. The idea of singing about the laundry or the decimal points of pi are clearly as weird as marvelous things or visiting trolleywood. But once you move beyond the my little ponies, unicorns and magnadoodles, it would be silly to go back there as a grown-up. Sherri and Stacy are no eccentrics, of course. The Valley was and is smart songwriting, and I just hope the EP songs will be a progression and not regression. Those girls don't seem too be ones to plow the same field twice!
Shadow Mouse
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:
Shadow Mouse wrote:
tahruh wrote:
nemo1 wrote:
Quote:

Definitely unique, but unique because they were young people writing about mystical stuff in a way that was mature for their ages then. I'm not saying they can't be creative with their lyrics or whimsical like they were in the past, but since the main song writers are now adult, married women (one closing in on 30) with real lives and experience, so to speak, some maturity and growth behind their lyrics would be more appealing to me than to see a return to "I glimpsed a bat with butterfly wings." That's not to disparage that lyric, though.

I think of how Christie took up a bit of french and wrote a french lullaby a few months ago. Whimsical and true to herself and her style, but an obvious sign of growth.

I agree that they should be allowed to grow but I do miss the old lyrics and even the old sound to a certain extent. Whimsical lyrics aren't nonsense and I find metaphors and shades of meaning more compelling than simple bluntness. Laughing City is a good example of a whimsical-ish song with depth. It just kind of makes me sad (pun- not intended) that, creative as this band is, their lyrics can sometimes sound run-of-the-mill.

I'll be happy either way but I'd just prefer they'd go back in the old direction and mature it. Who knows? With Warner Bros. gone maybe there will be a return.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Wil, give examples of what twist and turn songs you mean.

Up to their signing they wrote songs naturally. When they started working with producers some of them really changed the arrangements - I mean verse/chorus/bridge/etc., not instruments. That might be interesting to map the song structure arrangements since signing to see how similar they have been since.

Memories
One Day I Slowly Floated Away
My Lovely
Golly Sandra
Plenty Of Paper

All of them has some melodic shifts or time signature changes that work very well, the come off a minor left turns, either from verse to chorus, or in the bridges of the songs.

nemo1 wrote:
As usual, Wil has taken my thoughts and added his own unique spin. I sort of agree on the song structure thing. Love or don't love Combinations, but songs like Many Funerals or Sight to Behold (quiet/loud) have a very unique dynamic that isn't as evident on the Valley. Combinations was my entry to Eisleyville, though, so that's what I loved first.

The Valley was and is smart songwriting, and I just hope the EP songs will be a progression and not regression. Those girls don't seem too be ones to plow the same field twice!

In a way Combinations seemed to harness in the arrangements a little more, a couple of ideas per song I guess? It works, cause I like Combinations, and the "catchy" part of songs seemed more organic in the songs, whereas on Room Noises, there are some parts of songs that are really memorable, but I might have a hard time remembering which song they are a part of if the lyrics of the hook or a part of a key narrative aren't included. This wasn't so much the case with the Earlier EPs or the albums that followed. It's not that they abandoned sophistication, it just seems that they've developed a more nuanced approach to it, so that when I song evolves it's not as obvious, you are simply carried to the next musical destination, just think of the Valley (song) and it's arrangement building on it self verse by verse, hook by hook. Or Mr. Moon etc...

They have honed their craft, you have nothing to fear, they will not abandon your tastes.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

JLWD has probably the most unique structure of any of their songs, followed by Lullaby where they actually say "stop" and the music literally pauses. That weird 5 note bit repeated in OTMWG is another that comes to mind.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I have the same Snowball microphone as Sherri.
What what.

Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

Shadow Mouse wrote:
tahruh wrote:
nemo1 wrote:
Quote:

I love ALL their EP's and albums, but honestly I still think Room Noises is very my favorite... maybe just because that's what I heard first, and how I originally came to love Eisley..?
Doesn't really matter... I love it all , the Laughing City and Marvelous Things EP's all the way up to The Valley. They could write and sing songs based on pages from the phone book and I'd still listen and love it..

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
I have the same Snowball microphone as Sherri.
What what.

Same here!

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>