Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The Valley

Directed by Corey Sheldon who did the animated Memories video...

Per Boyd, via Text, During the Eisley Livestream

by way of the audio only re-stream hosted on http://strange-yellow-patterns.tumblr.com/post/8744895103/audio-from-e isleys-live-chat-earlier-today

Very Happy

I am pleased as punch about this.

Mr. Green

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i was so sure it was gonna be oxygen mask =(

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Wow... Bummer.

Could maybe have seen it as a third single, if the second one did well enough, but I don't think it has the potential of Oxygen Mask, I Wish or Watch It Die. I was expecting to be disappointed but with Watch It Die.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I agree with this choice.

Sure long time fans have known of the song a long time, but I feel it is the best song on the album as far as - how it was recorded/vocal performance/arrangement/etc. and the 'best foot forward' in order to try and get the greater public to take notice.

If the video has the look/feel of the Memories video I'm not sure that would get much play imo. Anyone know of videos the director has done since?

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
how it was recorded/vocal performance/arrangement/etc. and the 'best foot forward' in order to try and get the greater public to take notice.
Disagree; that really only describes Oxygen Mask, in my opinion, of course. Wink
sebas
Golly, Poster

I don't suppose they'll use the better sounding Fire Kite version of the song. Neutral

-Mahatma, Gandhi
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ I was thinking that they should at least pull the guitar part from that version and add it to the mix, but I wasn't going to say it though Laughing

I like the Choice because:

It's the title track and at least generates a little more name recognition for the album.

They've road tested the song and know it works.

The Vocal parts are Splendid, and it's a showcase for everyone's talents, every instrument has it's own outstanding part.

It doesn't sound like anything that's out right now, and albeit it's not their signature sound per' se, it sets them apart.

Since The Valley is effectively a WB release, this is a good way to bookend this album cycle, and transition toward the new EP, which as they themselves said in the stream, is their gift to fans while they work on a new album. So, it's closure.

Lastly, it's one of my Favorite Eisley songs, and lends it self to a very Eisley styled video presentation. Based on their quips (in the Livestream chat), they are not fixated on crossing over, and seem to be focused on doing their own music, their own way, thanks to the free reign EVR is giving them. I can't think of any other band that could have done The Valley, meanwhile Oxygen Mask and Watch It Die, even though they are good, sound like a few other piano-based singer songwriters that are on the touring circuit right now could have come up with them.

Good bands write their kind of songs very well, great bands can write songs in all sorts of styles very well. I think Eisley has proven that they have become a Great band over the years. Even though that's the case, I think the Valley is their kind of song. The fact that they're a great band releasing their kind of song as a single instead of something reminiscent of their current contemporaries is really gratifying for me to hear.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:08 am; edited 2 times in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

sebas wrote:
I don't suppose they'll use the better sounding Fire Kite version of the song. Neutral
Yeah, I prefer this version, as well.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

People are actually disappointed by this news? Confused

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Ha! I knew it would be "The Valley" It's a great song, and I think it will probably be a really cool video, too. I really liked the "Memories" video.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I think a video for The Valley could turn out really cool. Memories was done so well and if they used a similar style of art of how the cover is for The Valley, that could be freaking sweet. I, personally, would love to see kites that have burst into flames just floating in the sky. Think of how cool that'd be in a video and, if it's done similar to the way that Memories was done, it could seriously be a killer video and still quite unique.

I think mixing Eisley into cartoon life is cool and would work really well with this video because you can do a little more with it than just normal video shoots. I'm really looking forward to what they come up with and I am hoping for the best. Also, I agree about the FK version being better, but it's still a kick@$$ song with some great hooks.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I approve.
Congratulations
Sea Post King

uncreative wrote:
I approve.

Yep, I'm down with it.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

So the two music videos are both songs we have been hearing for 3 years?

I mean, I know the music videos aren't exactly for the diehard fans, but...

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
So the two music videos are both songs we have been hearing for 3 years?

Have we been hearing "Smarter" for three years? Maybe it was first played live in '08, but that's not really the same. And the Fire Kite EP was released less than two years ago.

In any case, I don't see how it makes a difference. It's a strong song that makes a good single and, I expect, a lovely video (I hope there are animated elements!). If you're pissed that you've been hearing "The Valley" for so long, blame Warner Brothers for deciding not to release the album and thus leaving Eisley to spend time searching for a new label. It's not the band's fault that they're promoting The Valley in a sensible way.

Honestly, people. Do you even remember the last time we actually got an official music video out of an Eisley album, let alone more than one? I do--2005. I can't believe I'm the one demanding that we focus on the positives here. Rolling Eyes

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

goto page
 | next >>