21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
I'm not feeling it at all.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

They played this song and one called Charlie Brown on Kimmel tonight. Should be up on his site.
oathmeal
Sea Post King

I've heard Charlie Brown on youtube before but the quality wasn't all that great. I'll definitely have to check this out. Can't wait for the new album.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

http://m.news.emihosting.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=13a94c953bade08c88

bumping cause I got that link in Email. Why is it I am finding all this so underwhelming and goofy (the names, the adoption of the 80s graffiti style) ? Sad sad times.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Ugh, excuse me Coldplay, WTF are you doing? It's enough to make me miss the Phantom Menace font. Laughing

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Hmm....I don't know either. Is there a grafitti underground thing I'm not aware of, or are they trying to start it themselves?

Tons of stuff coming out soon and if that wasn't enough we got big 20th anniv editions of Achtung Baby and Nevermind.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well, last tour they had a old school folk/ juke joint band and Afro Pop group open up, with a break between sets that had a roadie come out and break dance to Jay-Z who Chris Martin has a bromance with (hence them making appearances on each others' records), so I'm thinking his Hip Hop love is influencing the artist direction. Since X & Y they have used the Navy base with multicolored complimentary colors color scheme for the art and wardrobe, as a progression from the Black and White motif of A Rush Of Blood... They went from Pixels to Portraits to Graffiti with that same color palette. It almost correlates with the production aesthetic of each, but not really. There's a little new wave vibe on X & Y but not enough for the Digital reference of the art to feel really significant. Viva is definitely lush and more orchestrated, which suits the Renaissance feel of the art. So is this one going to be modern/ post-modern???

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

okay, I like this song they link to here http://stereogum.com/781242/coldplay-mylo-xyloto-details/news/

Hurts Like Heaven, the intro is a little annoying though, overly plinky.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Does it sound like LCD Soundsystem's All My Friends -should be easily found online- like they say? Pitchfork will crucify them if it does. They think it's one of the best songs of all time. It has a repeating 8th note piano throughout, no real chorus, just keeps building till the end.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

never heard that song but here it is and it's a good song http://youtu.be/NXp1TQPf2pY

and a different live version of the Coldplay http://youtu.be/v-Pg8HPj26k

The vocal melody and main melody played by the bassare similar. Cue another law suit??? But the Coldplay introduce lots of other melodies, but the similarity is there, albeit it's sped up.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

oh my rihanna is featured on a track. that makes me think they're not going for serious or anything to stand the test of time.

can you imagine if sgt pepper had a nancy sinatra (trying to think of female pop stars of that time) guest spot?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

At this point, I'm more inclined to compare Coldplay to Tears for Fears if they hadn't broken up, than I am the Beatles. Women in Chains had Oleta Adams on it, and I'll admit to liking Umbrella and Only Girl in the World as well as her vocals on Kayne's Lights so It could be worse.

But yeah, I don't have the highest expectations, which could be a good thing, since that's how I felt about XY and it turned out to be a good album beyond the lead single Speed of Sound and the other hit Clocks, both of which I can't stand. At least Yellow eventually grew on my after 7 years of not liking it.

Oh, Pitchfork has another song, Paradise

It's midtempo AOR. Could've been on the Keane Night Train EP, the drums sound like a loops, but I wouldn't call it hip hop by any means. Lost of strings, but strings do not an Epic song make.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i'm only using the beatles comparison in meaning someone trying to make a longstanding artistic statement through a music album. i did think later that maybe it could be like on Dark Side of the Moon when that woman is wailing, but not quite since I don't think that woman was well known.

like if u2 got sinead o'connor, whitney houston janet jackson and mariah carey to be on joshua tree or achtung baby or radiohead got britney spears for kid a.

(it would be beside the point to go through u2's discography and find some pop collabs. i don't care, yoy know what mean, vern.)

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

U2 & Mary J. Blige - One Wink

But I would compare it more to Stop For A Minute by Keane and K'Naan

or to go old school and Domestic R.E.M. and KRS-1

I understand your comparison, I've just never seen Coldplay as anything more than a Britpop band of the late 90s variety, pleasantly commercial, not "Artistes" and all that. They rode a few hits to the top during a lull in Radio friendly Adult Alternative rock from the US. They blew up when the biggest US bands were Mook Rock to the extreme, and a few yet to blossom singer songwriters breaking through. It was 99' when they hit my radar I think. So, I just don't see them as artists as the Beatles were taken to be after their transition to the more Psychedelic sound circa Revolver. In my head Coldplay are contemporaries with Travis. Radiohead would be the band that would get the Art Rock badge at band camp, but even so, they haven't reinvented the wheel either, there's a lot of Bowie and Pink Floyd coming through in their vibe during their peak (Bends, Ok Computer).

I don't think there are any Crossover (alternative + pop) that will get anywhere near the credit the Beatles got. Just not gonna happen, and possibly rightly so. In Hindsight some critics might say that Nirvana was due to get that kind of praise, but when a band getting said credit is influenced by and emulating the Beatles on some of their best stuff, it invalidates the claim in my book.

I guess, for a guy who isn't the biggest Beatles fan, my respect for their craft and achievements is pretty high huh? Laughing

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i knew you couldn't let that go and included the () statement to deter you. lot of good huh. coldplay already did the jay z but that was on an ep. mary j wasn't on an U2 album. forgot about rem and q tip, but that album got pretty negative response. i think sonic youth did too but i can only talk what i know.

examples aside it all boils down to that chris martin has seemed to say in interviews over the years that they're at least aiming for grand artistic statements, but this rihanna collab makes me think otherwise.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
examples aside it all boils down to that chris martin has seemed to say in interviews over the years that they're at least aiming for grand artistic statements

And that's why you should never trust anything Chris Martin says. I mean, have you read his lyrics...

They can write some good songs, but he's goofy, in an inoffensive way but goofy.

I couldn't resist the videos, cause it's only right to compare Coldplay with their modern contemporaries aka, other bands that were making Grand Artistic Statements, and I think in the "post Hip Hop" music era, that's the fairest thing to do. Better yet, the post "Grey Album" you know, the whole Jay-Z + the Beatles thing that made Dangermouse infamous Wink

So by modern standards the marriage of the genres is a commercial olive branch. But anyways, I guess I'm just Beating around the bush.

My point is, at best, Coldplay are at their best worthy of a U2 comparison or Phil Collins Genesis (Phil sang the Hook to a Bone Thugz N Harmony song that sampled Take Me Home). U2 at their best are worthy of a The Police (Sting came out and sang with Puffy remember Wink ) comparison or maybe The Who (more a combination of the both). At least in my opinion.

So yeah, Hip Hop, making a mockery of Rock legends legacies since 1987 Laughing

Sorry, I couldn't help it. It's Monday Twisted Evil