Laughing City
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Nothing has happened to all the other songs you guys wanted to be videos. All this means is that they won't be the second video.

"Smarter" was released only three months ago. If they keep going on this schedule, there could be time for a third and even fourth (!!!) video before they start work on the next full-length. Lose the whininess and have some perspective.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Nothing has happened to all the other songs you guys wanted to be videos. All this means is that they won't be the second video.

"Smarter" was released only three months ago. If they keep going on this schedule, there could be time for a third and even fourth (!!!) video before they start work on the next full-length. Lose the whininess and have some perspective.

+1

I honestly don't get why people care so much that it wasn't this song or that.

I'm just happy because:

any video from Eisley is good. The rate that WB released videos was ridiculously slow.
The Memories video did the song justice. Based on that alone, I reckon The Valley'll be a good'un.
What actually makes a good single anyway? Just cause you don't like the song as much as others on the album doesn't mean others, new to the band, won't.
And, any video to share on twitter & facebook will be good Smile

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
Saellys wrote:

+1

I honestly don't get why people care so much that it wasn't this song or that.

I'm just happy because:

any video from Eisley is good. The rate that WB released videos was ridiculously slow.
The Memories video did the song justice. Based on that alone, I reckon The Valley'll be a good'un.
What actually makes a good single anyway? Just cause you don't like the song as much as others on the album doesn't mean others, new to the band, won't.
And, any video to share on twitter & facebook will be good Smile
Singles represent albums; poor representations can have a devastating effect on sales, especially if the absence of "buzz," which Eisley doesn't really have anymore. Eisley have expressed their desire to have mainstream success, and yet the songs with the most obvious potential have been consistently overlooked. Everyone blamed this on WB, but is WB still picking singles for the band?

The Valley isn't a bad choice by any means, but it wouldn't have been my first (or second, since we're talking second singles). Smarter was a bad choice, in my opinion, though. I started imagining videos for I Wish and Oxygen Mask pretty early on, so hopefully you guys can excuse me if I felt a little disappointed that we probably won't see a video for either of them (although my fingers are crossed that if they do pick a third, it's I Wish, since both Stacy and Sherri are featured on vocals).
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I just fail to see how "The Valley" could possibly be a bad choice for a single. It's the title track, it's musically superb, and it contains striking visual language in the lyrics (which I hope will not be translated literally, as others have mentioned above). Now, I will absolutely give you that it would have made a much better first single (since that would also mean "Smarter" never would have happened). But I would not push back a potential single of "The Valley" for "I Wish" or "Oxygen Mask," which are both stylistically similar but artistically weaker in my opinion.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sebas
Golly, Poster

I think The Valley is the only Eisley song I've heard being played in a public area. It seems that something about it has made it stand out, which makes it a good candidate for a video.

...but I still wish they would use the EP version. Sad

-Mahatma, Gandhi
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
artistically weaker in my opinion.
When I think of singles, I think of accessibility, not which one has the most artistic merit. I'm not denying that The Valley is a good song (it is, but I do prefer the EP version), or even that it would have been a bad single at a later time. Actually, I'm not saying it's bad as a single now, either -- and never did! I just think it's the least accessible of the three we're discussing + Watch It Die. I hate to talk about 'getting', but people who aren't into music don't give a $#@! about artistry. The three other songs mentioned were created for the Tumblr Crowd, who think World Music begins and ends with Vampire Weekend's second album. And that's not a dis, because I dug that album, not to mention the fact that it was very successful for independently produced music's standards.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Saellys wrote:
artistically weaker in my opinion.
When I think of singles, I think of accessibility, not which one has the most artistic merit. I'm not denying that The Valley is a good song (it is, but I do prefer the EP version), or even that it would have been a bad single at a later time. Actually, I'm not saying it's bad as a single now, either -- and never did! I just think it's the least accessible of the three we're discussing + Watch It Die. I hate to talk about 'getting', but people who aren't into music don't give a $#@! about artistry. The three other songs mentioned were created for the Tumblr Crowd, who think World Music begins and ends with Vampire Weekend's second album. And that's not a dis, because I dug that album, not to mention the fact that it was very successful for independently produced music's standards.

Laughing Fair enough. By "into music" I assume you mean "create music themselves or have some grasp of the creative process". Because otherwise I see "into music" as people who like music, and if there are people who don't like music, why would we want them to like Eisley?

Smokemonster
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Well, I find 'Better Love' and 'Smarter' to be very droning, grating songs. Very depressing.

When I think "accessible" I think of 'Watch It Die' and 'Oxygen Mask'. 'The Valley' should be an okay choice, as well.

Of course this is all subjective. I personally feel like the wrong songs are being used to get the band exposure.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:
Well, I find 'Better Love' and 'Smarter' to be very droning, grating songs. Very depressing.

When I think "accessible" I think of 'Watch It Die' and 'Oxygen Mask'. 'The Valley' should be an okay choice, as well.

Of course this is all subjective. I personally feel like the wrong songs are being used to get the band exposure.

Laughing Citizen

tried to care, honestly.
failed.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

Laughing Fair enough. By "into music" I assume you mean "create music themselves or have some grasp of the creative process". Because otherwise I see "into music" as people who like music, and if there are people who don't like music, why would we want them to like Eisley?
Well, I mean people who aren't passive fans of music. Seemingly everyone likes music, but most don't consider it a serious interest, and a lot of those people are the same ones openly admit they don't 'get' art, in general. Being 'into music' would definitely cover people who create music themselves and have some grasp of the creative process, but not entirely! Things that appeal to passive fans, first and foremost, are catchiness and digestibility, and then, of course, looks. Eisley is short on neither, but concerning the former, some songs seem especially made for those people, even though I don't think that's intentional (with this album, at least).
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

This thread is bummin' me out now. The good vibes a new Eisley video brings are becoming contaminated.
Crying or Very sad

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
This thread is bummin' me out now. The good vibes a new Eisley video brings are becoming contaminated.
Crying or Very sad

Eisley just has a lot of smart and analytic fans who care.

Vintage Newbie

Are we certain about that smart part? Razz

Here are the hottest videos on MTV for a barometer of what's playing

http://www.mtv.com/most-popular/music-videos/?metric=numberOfViews&ran ge=today&order=desc

here are some billboard charts that represent markets Eisley covers:

http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/adult-pop-songs

http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/independent-albums

http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/tastemaker-albums

http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/alternative-songs

If you're aiming to make an inroads towards commercial success based on what's working for the rest of the musical world, are you so sure about your picks? All I can think is that some of you think an NPR/ College Radio audience or AOR audience might be apt to the mellower pop songs, cause they would fit right in. Thing is, all the artists who made some "noise" in that market are dormant or inconsequential right now. I don't see ANY of them on the charts. As far as the current charts are concerned, Regina Spektor and Sara Bareilles are one hit wonders, and the also rans - A Fine Frenzy, Brandy Carlisle, etc. are almost never beens. KT Tunstall gets off lucky as a 2 hit wonder. It's hard times out there. I'm not disparaging the above artists, but when I think of the songs being thrown up as choices for singles in place of the Valley it fits the vibe of that style. They are good songs, but releasing them just cause there's hope that they might catch on and be hits seems to be slightly out-of-touch with what constitutes the feel and sound of a hit song write about now.

The one side-effect of music on demand of your own choosing, courtesy of the saturation of the digital age, is that we can shape our own images of what the reality of the marketplace and trends are. We have been counter-cultured to the point of delusional perceptions, we being EVERYONE. That said, you just have to do what you enjoy, what you feel does you proud, if you are at all interested in enjoying your craft and not feeling like a slave to forces you have No Hope of controlling.

For those reasons, I like the Valley. Folks were griping about all the heartache break-up songs, the lack of whimsical and artful lyrics, the fear of a Hard Rock turn, out came this song and our minds were blown (as far as I can recall) and still are based on so many people wanting the EP version in the video they are voting down. I still think the song is Wonderful, it's an Anthem if ever Eisley wrote one. Every Hero needs an Anthem.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Are we certain about that smart part? Razz

Here are the hottest videos on MTV for a barometer of what's playing

http://www.mtv.com/most-popular/music-videos/?metric=numberOfViews&ran ge=today&order=desc

here are some billboard charts that represent markets Eisley covers:

http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/adult-pop-songs

http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/independent-albums

http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/tastemaker-albums

http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/alternative-songs

If you're aiming to make an inroads towards commercial success based on what's working for the rest of the musical world, are you so sure about your picks? All I can think is that some of you think an NPR/ College Radio audience or AOR audience might be apt to the mellower pop songs, cause they would fit right in. Thing is, all the artists who made some "noise" in that market are dormant or inconsequential right now. I don't see ANY of them on the charts. As far as the current charts are concerned, Regina Spektor and Sara Bareilles are one hit wonders, and the also rans - A Fine Frenzy, Brandy Carlisle, etc. are almost never beens. KT Tunstall gets off lucky as a 2 hit wonder. It's hard times out there. I'm not disparaging the above artists, but when I think of the songs being thrown up as choices for singles in place of the Valley it fits the vibe of that style. They are good songs, but releasing them just cause there's hope that they might catch on and be hits seems to be slightly out-of-touch with what constitutes the feel and sound of a hit song write about now.

The one side-effect of music on demand of your own choosing, courtesy of the saturation of the digital age, is that we can shape our own images of what the reality of the marketplace and trends are. We have been counter-cultured to the point of delusional perceptions, we being EVERYONE. That said, you just have to do what you enjoy, what you feel does you proud, if you are at all interested in enjoying your craft and not feeling like a slave to forces you have No Hope of controlling.

For those reasons, I like the Valley. Folks were griping about all the heartache break-up songs, the lack of whimsical and artful lyrics, the fear of a Hard Rock turn, out came this song and our minds were blown (as far as I can recall) and still are based on so many people wanting the EP version in the video they are voting down. I still think the song is Wonderful, it's an Anthem if ever Eisley wrote one. Every Hero needs an Anthem.
...I really don't care, at this point, about this particular conversation, but I have to say that nothing you posted even remotely suggests that The Valley would be the better choice of second single. Nothing on The Valley (the album) really showcases any currently popular so-called "indie" styles ('chillwave', 'dubstep', 'witch house', etc). I don't think I ever implied that if they were to release the other songs as singles, that they would sky-rocket to fame over night. I'm simply thinking along the lines of which song has the most mass appeal; outside of this forum and fan base, I'm almost positive it's not The Valley.

wilsmith wrote:
The one side-effect of music on demand of your own choosing, courtesy of the saturation of the digital age, is that we can shape our own images of what the reality of the marketplace and trends are.
I'm fairly certain I have a grasp on what is and what is not popular among various markets at this time.

Also, I have to agree about the "smart" comment -- Wil can't even spell intelligence! Wink

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>