Laughing City
nemo1
Sea Post King

interesting analysis from one and all. It occurs to me that the Valley CD came out too late for any of its songs to be incorporated into any of the TV shows last spring. Sad to say, but that's where more and more unfamiliar artists get their best airplay and exposure these days. House, Grey's Anatomy, Friday Night Lights.

Y'all might be arguing a moot point anyways. I'd be interested to know if they got any bump in sales from the Smarter video, but touring and opening for a bigger time act would get them more exposure even if it meant a step back from headlining. whichever song they video'd next probably wouldn't make much difference.

That being said, I'm no music company exec, but I used to have a knack for listening to CD's/ albums and say which song(s) sounded most listener and radio-friendly. And I know without a doubt that Better Love is that song on the Valley. Too bad the days of singles and radio airplay have passed Eisley and most other bands by...
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It was my early favorite and one that would be suited to Rock Radio, and some Pop Rock stations, but I don't know if it would float on the straight Pop stations that Spin stuff that ranges from Bruno Mars to Eminem and Gaga on the regular. The album is more accessible, but it's still not Club Friendly Wink

but... if you wanted to make a club mix of any Eisley song, Sad would be the one I could hear Discoed out.

~~~~~~~~~~~

that was a big NOT to leave out. Embarassed

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:51 am; edited 2 times in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Better Love should have been Sherri's single - no doubt about that.

"Eisley...club mix..." - Please stop, Wil. Laughing
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

Didn't someone do that to like, Marvelous Things or something?
juan_diego
Sea Post King

Cendrillon wrote:

Combinations+phat beatz= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNdwq5tLn28

olimario
Laughing Citizen

better love is repetative and droning
Watch it Die was the single that never was
it would have hit the sara bareilles crowd pretty hard
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Better Love hits a certain aesthetic. For those of us who like Droning New Wave rock that's derived of that Joy Division template, it's exactly for us, and we are many in number. If not the Bravery and Interpol would not have had careers 10 years ago.

olimario wrote:
it would have hit the sara bareilles crowd pretty hard

I thought so too, the problem with that is, what's she doing right now, Touring, or Hosting a Reality singing contest Wink?

Nothing wrong with that, but it tells you something about the state of certain sectors of the music business when someone who just put out an album last year is doing a talent show on TV and not on some mad tour around the world twice over raking in the $$$. She debuted number 1, and the album will have been out a year in September and she still hasn't gone gold at 340,000 units sold. In music business terms, that is a tragedy. Business is bad relatively. That would be a lot of units for other artists, but she had the power of a huge hit last time out, critical acclaim, and major label promotions that had her featured in VH1 something fierce last album cycle etc. That sales figure should explain why you had Cee-Lo, Aguilera, Levine, and Shelton on the Voice. Even the hitmakers need the profile boost and payday because the cost to generate their market shares (paying for recording, producers and songwriters, promotional and distribution costs) are so high in contrast to the revenue drawn from sales and rights.

I mean, sad as it is to accept, Lillith Fair tanked using the same logic you're using in picking a single. The marketplace has and continues to change. I mean, the Gathering of the Juggali is perpetual and Lillith Fair tanked? In 12 years the world's been turned upside down.

Format-wise, Watch It Die is basically competing with Taylor Swift and Train as far as band based pop rock. Those are your hitmakers right now without going further into Nashville, cause most of the other Pop Rock acts are more club oriented like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga etc. I honestly wouldn't mind hearing an Eisley "Nashville" record, particularly a bluegrass gospel one, just to see how they would take that on, but ugh... the marketplace is a graveyard right now. That's why I'm glad they picked a song that would be a Sore Thumb in contrast to the "Hits" that are out right now, cause so many of them are just permutations of the same watered down Trance-gone-mainstream song-by-assembly line system or polished singer songwriter pop concoction that has all the edge of a crustless PB & J sandwich. It stands out in that it's far removed from anything I hear getting mainstream airplay, and doesn't cop to the "indie" trends either, it's just well composed music that is CATCHY AS ALL GET OUT, cause I'm just going to be honest...

I keep bringing this up and it's tired, but the Valley evokes one of Kate Bush's most popular songs. Kate Bush hasn't had a hit in like 2 decades, but still gets covered in most all Music Publications, from Pitchfork, Stereogum, Rolling Stone and CMJ to NPR, cause she's got that kind or reputation, influence, and good will associated with her.

It also makes me think of St. Vincent and Bat For Lashes, who also get the same kind of coverage and press, kudos for their clever or artistic videos, and serve as surrogates for Bjork when she's between albums as far as the press is concerned. These are the kind of associations I feel fit best with the imperative Eisley is taking with their direction as a band and brand. They teeter on the verge of being fringe, but are accessible enough to hear in the Grocery store ( I have heard Bat For Lashes in several nowhere near hip grocery stores over the last few years, much to my surprise).

We'll see how things go for St. Vincent when Strange Mercy comes out. All that said, I'm just thinking, with the resources they have available to them, lining themselves up to create an audience with tastes as cosmopolitan as their output will serve to strengthen their base allow then to continue on their current path in with a sustainable and ever increasing level of success. You know, the old model of building an artist over time, so like Shawn Colvin or Esperanza Spalding, you can win a Grammy for best new artist after being in the industry for near a decade or more Razz

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
Cendrillon wrote:

There's a Marvelous Things one, too. It's so awesome, but I can't find it on youtube.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
Cendrillon wrote:

Okay... I'll say it. I like this.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

^^^^

I like that remix. Very much so...
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Honestly, I kind of question how much the band really wants to "make it" versus having fun on tour with their friends and making the same kind of music. If they keep doing what they're doing (which is fine) there's almost zero chance of breaking out.

Going on tour with extremely low profile acts (Marksmen have about 1600 fans on facebook) and Christie isn't drawing in a new audience for Eisley. That's just the truth.

Additionally, touring with has-been emo acts is really limiting their market. When was the last time Eisley toured with a bigger name indie band? I guess, Mute Math, maybe...? And that was several years ago.

Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
Additionally, touring with has-been emo acts is really limiting their market. When was the last time Eisley toured with a bigger name indie band? I guess, Mute Math, maybe...? And that was several years ago.

...How you you classify the tour opening for Rooney or dare I say... Say Anything?

I'm hoping they DO tour with Mute Math since they have an album on the way... Here's to hoping WB doesn't impose an opening act on them as a salt in the wound type measure.

But I get the overall vibe that they are going to go about this business of being in the music business at a pace they are comfortable with and just enjoy it. If their spouses are making decent livings it should work out fine. There are 4 independent households in the band now (not counting Garron, I don't know he's got a Bachelor pad or what). But yeah, I think they may very well be in a relatively good place as opposed to some of the artist I know who are single, and have no aid in providing for themselves other than their craft and whatever means they have vocationally.

norad
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:

...How you you classify the tour opening for Rooney

A failure? The Rooney tour wasn't exactly a success....But that was Rooney's fault.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:

...How you you classify the tour opening for Rooney or dare I say... Say Anything?
Has-been and emo, respectively.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

dammit. I knew that was gonna happen. Sad Laughing
The LC keeps it real.
real harsh. Razz

I remember wishing they could open for Fleetwood Mac when they toured only 3 years ago. Now that's the furthest thing from what I would like to see them do. The one plus of The Valley is I think of Eisley as a modern band, capable of making music that doesn't evoke past influences. It used to not be that way. I'm really excited about where they can take their tendencies to be ornate and melodic along with the "rock" side of the band. They tapped into it on the Valley really well. The challenge is finding bands that can match that. Any band I would consider their contemporaries (and I really Mean BAND) is a shadow of itself, or at least has reached a point of fruition in their development where you know what you're getting (Sorry Oldplay).

Who here wasn't surprised & impressed by some of the songs on the Valley? That is freaking rare anymore.

That being the case, touring is kind of hard to match up when I band can do so many different things well and has a Very large following Eisley could benefit from. I really struggle to come up with any... Except MUTEMATH is they Blossom in the manner I feel they can. They are good, but when they first broke there were a lot of the Police comparisons, which is a MAJOR compliment. They were the Biggest Band in The World playing a blend of genre's most people didn't listen to that often in their own odd way. MUTEMATH has that capacity, to blend and manipulate their influences and styles to produce something outrageously good. The challenge is harnessing those influences and finding a direction to go it. It says a lot that 3 bands I came across in the last couple of years that impressed me were ones you could say were copping a bit of MUTEMATH's style from the their first record (in one case at least it was just coincidence because they came out around the same time if not a little before). Fiction Plane, Dear Future, and Civil Twilight. Honestly, there are a lot of moments on the Alchemy Index Air & Water where Thrice sound a lot like MUTEMATH (to their benefit) too.

So yeah, MUTEMATH tour needs to happen. Their album also needs to be amazing. They should be That band right about now... The torch is due to be passed to a worthy successor.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>