15%  [ 3 ]
I don't drink it.
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Kirk wrote:
I did have some very expensive ($5) bottle of a Belgian beer a couple months ago that actually tasted really good. Come to think of it, I think I need to head back to that beer garden (called Vampyre, strangely) soon.

Belgians know their stuff! Some of it gets a bit hoppy for me, but nothing beats a Belgian witbier.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

I chose the “Dark / porter / stout / chocolate” option, but, really, I think there should have been an “other” and/or “all of the above” options, since, it's a lot more complicated than that…

I love to drink all kinds of beer, pretty much. I almost never order the same thing twice at a bar, and when I consume beer at home I like to have a variety around. I'll try anything once, and most things twice. The only thing I demand, really, is balance — I hate when one or two flavor components completely overwhelm all the others, and often my palate as well, so that it's all I can taste! But, as long as it's well crafted and well balanced, I can enjoy anything from a “fizzy yellow beer” to a “Russian Imperial Stout”, and very often it's just a matter of finding the right beer for the right time.

However, the reason I chose the “Dark / porter / stout / chocolate” option was, very simply, that if I had to drink only one beer for the rest of my life, it would unquestionably be Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. So, you know, there's that…

Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
I chose the “Dark / porter / stout / chocolate” option, but, really, I think there should have been an “other” and/or “all of the above” options, since, it's a lot more complicated than that…

You're absolutely right. Sadly, I cannot edit the poll. Sad

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

golly_sandra wrote:
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:

I can get on the "Wine Train". I like it more than I did a few years ago. Berry wines are my favorite, though. They're simply perfect. If I ever decide to buy some wine, it'll be a blackberry or blueberry wine. SO good.

Try this if it is available in your area: http://www.keelandcurleywinery.com/wines/blueberry-sweet.php Smile

Oh, don't tempt me! I was almost salivating looking up the prices. Thank the good Lord I'm broke at the moment. Haha.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i prefer this beer

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Duff beer for me, Duff beer for you, I'll have a Duff, you have one too!

Smokemonster
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I love beer. And I live in an amazing place for it. Oregon is full of incredible breweries that are constantly coming up with new brews. I'm a big hop-head, so my favorite style is definitely IPAs. My favorite IPA is a tie between Russian River Brewery's (Santa Rosa, CA) Pliny The Elder and Hair Of The Dog Brewery's (Portland, OR) Blue Dot IPA. Although if I had a choice between those two I would always go with the Pliny, it's definitely the better beer, and it's very difficult to find, while I can get Blue Dot any day of the week here in Portland (which is awesome Cool ). I also love to constantly try new beers, and living here, the choices are endless. Smile

Keep Portland Beered!
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

hisownshot wrote:

i love beer.

Newcastle Brown Ale is one of my favorites as well Smile I agree with do not be afraid , another category might have been helpful, but I chose the Dark/Porter/Stout category as well. I prefer darker more complex beers, but also enjoy lighter beers, (Corona, Dos Equis , LaBatt's Blue, numerous wheat beers, etc.) especially in the summer. Leinenkugel makes some great summer beers; Summer Shandy, Sunset Wheat, Honey Weiss, etc. But if I had to limit my choice for the rest of my life to one type of beer, I'd go for darker beers every time. You can't go wrong with most Samuel Adams beers. Even for a light beer, Sam Adams Light is an amazingly flavorful beer. I always say, life is too short to drink cheap beer Wink . If you're going to drink beer, drink something with an amazing and interesting flavor Smile

The ancients had it right...the oldest known recipe in recorded history is for beer...

and, of course, let's not forget that Bejamin Franklin, a brilliant and very wise man said : " Beer is the proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Last edited by Dan and Sam on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

This is going to sound stupid, really stupid, but I will always associate Beer and Hooray in my head, but not in that order.

also, I guess they changed their slogan, didn't know about that, or this whole bit right here.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

"helping our white friends dance for over 70 years" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

What's the point of having a beer thread without a little drunken posting? Hmm...

I'm not entirely sober. I just went to a certain Mr. Dunderbaks, and enjoyed decent German food (a tasty Jaegerschnitzel, an honestly inauthentic German potato salad [described on the menu as “American Style” German Potato Salad!], and sauerkraut [of course!]), with a couple of deliciously strong beers:

Victory's St. Boisterous:

A golden “Bock” beer, with a smooth malt sweetness, a subtle but noticeable hop bitterness, and a perfectly masked 7.3% alcohol by volume. Like most good “Helles Bocks”, it tastes sort of like a malt liquor, but one brewed with love from the finest ingredients on earth by friendly Bavarian monks (even though no Bavarians or monks were actually involved in it's production, as far as I know), rather than one brewed from cheap industrial poisons designed to kill off poor black people (even if most people who drink malt liquor seem to be middle class, middle aged, white dudes, as far as I can tell from YouTube!) If only they'd let me have a Maß, and had it served by a pretty blonde female in a dirndl, I'd have been in heaven! Unfortunately, that particular beer was only being served in pints, by a pathetic male beer nerd such as myself (and he was, thankfully, not wearing a dirndl!)

To drown my sorrows I enjoyed a lovely goblet full of St. Bernadus Abt. 12:

The cheerful monk branding is apparently the best way to sell me beer (it must have something to do with my Catholic upbringing!), but this one was a bit of a disappointment. Like most Belgian “abbey” beers (regardless of whether or not they're actually brewed in an abbey, or Belgium), it was brewed with massive quantities of sugar, and possibly even hop extract, giving it a thin and dull flavor, without any rich maltiness, bold hoppiness, or other traditionally “beery” flavors, except for plenty of complex alcohols and esters from the yeast. I didn't have any difficulty getting it down (not even considering it's 10% alcohol!), but I'm not sure I'd choose to drink it again, unless my choices were very limited (and, then, they'd likely not include this beer!)

Since I enjoyed Victory's St. Boisterous so much, on the way home I picked up a 6 pack of their Golden Monkey (a Belgian-inspired Abbey-esque beer brewed with sugar, so we'll see how that goes…), and decided to pick up a bottle of Rogue's Dead Guy Ale as well. The only Rogue beer I've tried was their Chocolate Stout, which tasted like somebody accidentally dropped a shitload of Cascade hops and Hershey's syrup into an otherwise pretty decent stout, but since this is their “flagship” I thought I'd give it a try.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Dead Guy Ale is solid. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Smile
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Yeah, since I couldn't find a spot for it in the fridge, I just drank it.

Hmm...

I almost hate to say it, but I was kind of disappointed. I'm trying to think of why, and, really, I think it comes down to craftsmanship. The beer itself had little more than just a simple malty sweetness going for it, and while it was enjoyable, it wasn't particularly interesting or exciting. That's not usually a problem for me, because I can happily say “Well, it may not be the most interesting or exciting beer, but it's flawlessly crafted.” This beer wasn't, though. It tasted kind of rough, raw, and disjointed, and lacked the flawlessly clean, smooth, easy drinking character one finds in the best “Maibocks” (which this beer claims to be!), like, well, the Victory St. Boisterous I had earlier today. In that respect, it kind of does fit it's branding — I could almost imagine a pirate drinking it, due to it's rustic simplicity, but, I don't know…

I almost wish I had a six pack of it, since it seems like it might be the kind of beer that'll grow on you after a few, rather than one which blows you away on the first glass. But, I could only find a bomber, and when I put down big money on a big bottle I kind of expect a big beer, and that's not what I got.

Then again, it might not have been the freshest bottle, either, since I couldn't find a freshness date.

Hmm…

Bah, humbug. I think I'm overanalyzing this — It's just $#@! beer! I need to think of those pretty dirndls…

And no, I didn't just spend over an hour staring at dirndl pictures online, to make sure I had the very best one… Wink
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Tricia Helfer?! Wink

Smokemonster
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, it's not one of those blow you away beers, and maybe because it's their staple year-round beer it doesn't get the same care in craftsmanship as their special brews do. That's the problem with mass-production of anything. Also, going from one coast to the other, maybe you're right about it being an older bottle? Sorry it was a slight disappointment, but I would say maybe give it another chance sometime. I've been enjoying Dead Guy Ale now and then since I turned 21. Smile

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>