Laughing City
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I agree with Wil about the value in Sucker Punch that seems to have gotten the shaft. However, the overly stylized graphic style (blue/green filters, frequent use of slow motion, etc.) are so tired and played out to me that it was kind of hard to watch. Emily Browning and Jena Malone give stellar performances, though. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but certainly worth a watch.

And to bring this back to the topic at hand, I really fkn hate CGI 90% of the time. I hope this video turns out cooler than I'm imagining it will.

Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
(they were first sold in 1960)
1940s*

Otherwise, don't care about Steampunk in the least.

Nope, according to their own official history, they were first sold on April 1st 1960.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Part of me hopes they use Interpolated Rotoscope like A Scanner Darkly.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
tahruh wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
1940s*

Nope, according to their own official history, they were first sold on April 1st 1960.
In the UK... They were originally German.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
tahruh wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
1940s*

Well, fine. But, more to the point, it doesn't matter — 1940s Germany wasn't any more reliant on steam power than 1960s England, and the science fiction produced then was pretty much modern science fiction, without any dirigibles, steam engines, or the like, in sight. So, my point still stands, really.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Um... no? Doc Martens and a leather belt do not equal a bunch of hypersexualized underage girls in some farcical attempt at packaging crap entertainment as feminine empowerment.

How are Doc Martens any more authentically “steampunk” than Suckerpunch? I thought steampunk was a post-modern take of early science fiction (Jules Verne, HG Wells, etc.), back when steam power was the height of technology, and most lay people imagining a future would certainly imagine it powered by steam? Doc Martens didn't come to the market until long after the dominance of electricity and gasoline (they were first sold in 1960), and so aren't “steampunk” in any way, shape, or form.

Not that Suckerpunch is, either. But, you really $#@! should watch it, it's awesome! Most of the reviews I read just sounded like they were reviewing the trailer, and didn't actually watch the movie at all.

Edit: Yeah, and reading this back, I just want to make something clear — I know you didn't actually call Doc Martens steam punk, either, I just don't get how we can have one page that goes from Eisley's supposedly "steampunk" video to a host of completely unrelated topics. Not that anyone cares, or that I properly articulated that (even now…)

Edit 2: Yeah, again, in case I didn't articulate it properly (and I keep feeling like I didn't), I wasn't trying to argue with Saellys about whether or not Doc Martens were steampunk (since she never said they were), which is what it reads like to me. My point was just that I don't think this Eisley video is really going to be any more or less authentically "steampunk" than Suckerpunch, and I don't think either are really meant to be. It seems more likely that, like Suckerpunch, they're using some of the elements of steampunk to do their own completely unrelated thing, and that's why the comparison might be more apt than she gave it credit for.

Yeah, as you mentioned, I wasn't saying Docs are steampunk (they're not). That all goes back to my earlier statement about the mainstream notion of steampunk. I was big into the subgenre around the time Steampunk Magazine started, when the community was mostly people who really loved to make their own stuff out of brass and wood. Now anyone who tapes together a pair of fake goggles out of soda bottles can call themselves steampunk, and it makes me sad. People regard it as only a fashion movement, and that can be interpreted as wearing crap they bought at Hot Topic.

I still won't be watching Suckerpunch. Sorry. Wink EDIT: Oh, what the hell. Redbox has it on Blu-Ray and I have nothing to do tonight.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
Last edited by Saellys on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
tahruh wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
tahruh wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
1940s*

Well, fine. But, more to the point, it doesn't matter — 1940s Germany wasn't any more reliant on steam power than 1960s England, and the science fiction produced then was pretty much modern science fiction, without any dirigibles, steam engines, or the like, in sight. So, my point still stands, really.
Haha, I wasn't trying to invalidate your argument, just correcting you. I have zero knowledge of anything "steampunk," and a corresponding desire to ascertain any.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

Yeah, as you mentioned, I wasn't saying Docs are steampunk (they're not). That all goes back to my earlier statement about the mainstream notion of steampunk. I was big into the subgenre around the time Steampunk Magazine started, when the community was mostly people who really loved to make their own stuff out of brass and wood. Now anyone who tapes together a pair of fake goggles out of soda bottles can call themselves steampunk, and it makes me sad. People regard it as only a fashion movement, and that can be interpreted as wearing crap they bought at Hot Topic.

I still won't be watching Suckerpunch. Sorry. Wink
you're not the webmaster for that wiki I posted are you Razz

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Saellys wrote:

I still won't be watching Suckerpunch. Sorry. Wink
you're not the webmaster for that wiki I posted are you Razz

Laughing No.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sebas
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:

I still won't be watching Suckerpunch. Sorry. Wink EDIT: Oh, what the hell. Redbox has it on Blu-Ray and I have nothing to do tonight.

-Mahatma, Gandhi
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Suckerpunch didn't seem very steampunky. The WWI/WW2 mash-up part? The reanimated nazis and the mech? The zepellin was a WWI thing. Was there a zepellin? Which part was steampunk? It's been awhile since I saw it.
*edit* Ok I watched that part on youtube. The Germans (not nazis) were reanimated using steam power and clockworks.

So back to the punks:

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I hate those striped tights that both Sherri and Stacy are wearing, but I quite like all of the rest of the clothing. Chauntelle's tights are perfect.
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
I hate those striped tights that both Sherri and Stacy are wearing, but I quite like all of the rest of the clothing. Chauntelle's tights are perfect.

Yea. They seem a bit strange with the shoes Stacy has on. Not to mention they make her legs look fat. Kidding. Just some horizontal stripe humor. Chauntelle looks totally fabulous though. I want her tights!
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Are those caps for the animated capture part of the video I suppose. Seems interesting!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Mocap caps indeed. We are going to get some crazy cg hair action? We'll have to see. I like all the wardrobe for an animated clip. The contrasting & prominent patterns make for more movement visually. my interest is piqued now!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>