Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

heheheh - it's getting a little frisky in this thread Twisted Evil

I'm just referring to the comments regarding that in the Livestream...

norad wrote:
I caught it just in time too! I fell asleep and woke back up at 1:57.

If anyone missed it you can listen to it here: http://strange-yellow-patterns.tumblr.com/post/8744895103/

I'm not sure if someone asked about it directly, or it came out of discussion of something else. Only listened to it once and didn't transcribe it. Check it out. That's where my knowledge of her knowledge of it came from. But maybe she was talking about some other unknown cover version that was popular this summer? Could Be... Heck I'll go google popular covers of Heartless and see what comes up:

http://bit.ly/qvZyal Hmmmm... mostly 2009 coming up, and only one 2011 on the initial list of relevant results Neutral Hmmm.... what should I conclude?

Bare in Mind I am hardly serious about this. Not saying Dia & NBC are musical vultures stealing ideas to get an edge on a singing show that was orchestrated specifically to bolster the profiles of Artists the label system failed to capitalize on in their 1st sojourns as would be pop stars. I was rooting for her or Vicci Martinez, but honestly, in what's par for the course on all the music comps I've ever seen except Rockstar: INXS of whatever it was called, the original songs were just boring and Undercooked across the board. I think her Tom Petty cover was the best performance of the finale though. I really enjoyed that.

Oh well, if I have offended any Dia fans, Tough. No you know who Oncue feels Razz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, I just went to youtube to look at more covers of Heartless, since I've never looked at ANY other than the Sherri and Dia versions. I listened to the studio version Dia's for the first time, and yeah...

If the user yellowseason is somebody from this board, I respect your bravodo and fierceness in repping Sherri so hard on those youtube comments sections. Try not to get blocked though Wink All that cussin's gonna run you afoul with Dia fans on youtube and they are going to vote your comments into oblivion and suppress your truth campaign Laughing

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9639 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
Unless she acknowledges Sherri's cover we can speculate all we want and we won't know. So, if she says it was her original idea, sans hearing Sherri's cover, or of it, fine. I don't know that she's made any statement, our if our protestations have even made a ripple in the ocean? Until then, we don't know, and it's just a matter of personal opinion. I put mine out there, take it or leave it.

Relevant interview
Before Sherri, Kris Allen (American Idol) and The Fray both did 'Heartless' covers in 2009. They were slowed down.

This can be put to rest now.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Well that makes sense per my Google search pulling The Fray as Numero Uno as far as Heartless covers.

So, what you've established is that per her own words, She had only heard a smidge of the Frays cover before she came up with the idea to do the song. After she put it out there that she wanted to do it, she was made aware of Kris Allen's.

That said, those of us raising a stink have more in common with her, cause I, and maybe a few others, had only heard Sherri's renderings, so our limited exposure is relevant to 2010/ 2011, and the only prominent cover out there other than Sherri's (which isn't really prominent in comparison) is Dia's.

So... if Sherri, or we, took issue, it's because of the contemporary timing, not a histogram of who did it over the course of the last 2 and a half to 3 years. So, yeah:

Last Winter or so - We all (eisley fans on here an her social networks) heard Sherri do it
This Summer - Dia did it and the world heard it.

In between then there were no prominent covers.

Like Dia we didn't really care about anyone covering the song until it was someone who's interest we were invested in. So, if you had to draw a line from the last former WB signed, indieish female vocalist with a reedy voice covering a very percussive R & B synth based song with a parred down arrangement to varying degrees, it's 1 degree of separation.

Oh well. Neutral

That's my reasoning. It's not a justification. It's just reasoning for having suspicion.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

so i read this whole thread and i am throughly confused. probably because i dont know the song, or dia, or anything.

let me see if i get it

kanye has a song called heartless
sherri did a cover for fun
someone posted it on itunes, not as sherri

is that right? If so, outside of dia also doing a cover, what does she (is it a she) have anything to do with it?
I cant click the itunes link as I am on my work comp and there is no itunes on it.

also i didnt know that random people could put songs on itunes without a distributor. am I wrong in this?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
so i read this whole thread and i am throughly confused. probably because i dont know the song, or dia, or anything.

let me see if i get it

kanye has a song called heartless
sherri did a cover for fun
someone posted it on itunes, not as sherri

is that right? If so, outside of dia also doing a cover, what does she (is it a she) have anything to do with it?
I cant click the itunes link as I am on my work comp and there is no itunes on it.

also i didnt know that random people could put songs on itunes without a distributor. am I wrong in this?

The only reason Dia is involved is because it was being sold as a "Dia Frampton Tribute" song, as if Sherri recorded the song as a tribute to Dia. We all know that's not true.

Somewhere, somehow, Sherri must have said something about a girl "ripping off" her song, or something to that effect. That is all hearsay, as far as I know.

I, like you, was also wondering how somebody could just post a random song on iTunes to sell. The whole thing is just weird.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

thanks for the clarification.

according to a chart i posted in the music board, the most that person is getting per download is .53 cents.
does ituens show how many times it has been downloaded?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Itunes part is hella weird.

Meanwhile, the subject of the cover being "ripped off" came up in the Eisley Livestream chat. Listen to that on the strange yellow patterns tumblr.

So, as far as hearsay, that's where it emanates from and it was innocent insinuation. Needless to say, I went and Transcribed it just to make it clear how this is all connected:

It's about 75% of the way after the talk about Weston :

http://strange-yellow-patterns.tumblr.com/post/8744895103/audio-from-e isleys-live-chat-earlier-today

Eisley Livestream Audio wrote:

Question: You should cover Kanye West.
Sherri: Yeah I already did that, then someone else ripped me off.

a minute or so later it came up again after the HP or Twilight question :

Eisley Livestream Audio wrote:
Question: Sherri, will you perform Heartless Live?

Sherri: I would have... probably before Dia did it on... the Voice because now people are going to think I'm copying her, when actually, not that she copied me, but I did do it...(Stacy maybe?: "she did do it") ...Just gonna say...

I think the TV singing competition cover thing lost it's luster when Chris Daughtry did I Walk The Line, ripping off Live, not that I would endorse either. Johnny Cash get's props though Wink

I don't begrudge anyone for not trusting TV when they say something is original, regardless of the source. That's not to say Sherri is right or wrong, it's just, you know, consider the context. Put yourself in the next person's shoes and consider the circumstances.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i am sure she meant it tongue in cheek. my sherri would never do anything so mean i kid of course

i mean artists do covers all the time an doesnt matter.

its not like no one can cover all along the watch tower because jimi already did.

look at how many people covered hallelujah (even though buckley perfected it).

whats more unsettling is that someone is making money off of her without her consent. thats grounds for a lawsuit.

wilsmith wrote:

hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

I think Dia has too much self-respect and too much pride in her own creativity to rip anything off of Sherri. My guess is she had no idea Sherri ever did a cover- it's not like hers was well distributed, and what are the odds that Dia, with all she has going on, follows Sherri's tumble?

But whateva.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
norad
Vintage Newbie

Sherri always says things that are meant to be a joke but when she says them it doesn't always translate. Laughing I doubt Sherri really gives a $#@!.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

norad wrote:
Sherri always says things that are meant to be a joke but when she says them it doesn't always translate. Laughing I doubt Sherri really gives a $#@!.

I agree.

And, honestly, if not... Sherri's human. Most people would be a little irked in that situation, I think.

I'm not just sticking up for Sherri. I know what it's like to say something like that, and have it get blown out of proportion. I can't imagine what that would be like on a larger scale.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I think it was just sardonic humor, which the duprees have in spades, big time. But to every joke there's a smidge of truth.

I'll take dia's word on only having heard a bit of the fray's cause i hadn't heard any covers until Sherri's which is obscure outside of eisley circles i'm guessing, so it's easy to reason she hadn't heard any of em, sherri's included.

But i can see how a defensive fan of sherri or dia would feel the need to defend their faves' honor/ artistic integrity. all we have is people's words to weigh, and that's always a throwdown waiting to happen.

Last edited by wilsmith on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Wow, Sherri's version is quite good, especially in comparison to Dia's. I don't remember if I liked it initially, but I like it now!
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Doing a slowed down and acoustic version of a pop or hip hop song isn't exactly a novel concept. In fact, it's practically an indie musician rite of passage (see: every cover of Toxic ever). How do you think Ingrid Michaelson and Yael Naim have managed to draw out their careers for so long?

I don't think it was very fair of Sherri to accuse Dia of lifting her idea. Their covers do not sound similar enough for such an accusation. If you're a Kanye fan, it's an obvious song to cover in that manner since it's already relatively downbeat and melodic. People in this circle are quick to think everyone in the world has heard of and wants to rip off Eisley.

#thebridges

Lost at Forum

vivalaspopie wrote:
Doing a slowed down and acoustic version of a pop or hip hop song isn't exactly a novel concept. In fact, it's practically an indie musician rite of passage (see: every cover of Toxic ever). How do you think Ingrid Michaelson and Yael Naim have managed to draw out their careers for so long?

I don't think it was very fair of Sherri to accuse Dia of lifting her idea. Their covers do not sound similar enough for such an accusation. If you're a Kanye fan, it's an obvious song to cover in that manner since it's already relatively downbeat and melodic. People in this circle are quick to think everyone in the world has heard of and wants to rip off Eisley.

#thebridges

the bridges are knock offs, blah blah blah. hahaha

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>