Laughing City
HowardGLITCH
Sea Post King

fantastic video!! love it Smile
i wonder what the '2012' reference was about graffiti'd on the wall.
obviously, the topic has a million interesting prophecies, so I'm curious what the director meant by it?
Joined: 03 Aug 2010 | Posts: 12 | Location: Zion, The Real World ;)
pzy
Wookie Luke

"What?"

Awesome Very Happy

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

yeah after second view i got that they only saw the creatures when wearing the masks.

not sure on the symbolism though. i know they were jaded by the wb, but I would be hesitant to say everything they do these days has a jab at the music industry in it. like most seem to think.

I mean what if it was just a cool video concept about monsters that only exist when you wear a mask? some times some things don't have a deeper hidden meaning.

i could be wrong though.

I thought of that too. It could just as easily be about religion, about political biases, or just a more abstract notion of seeing things for yourself and not through filters others give you.

I think the Iron Giant came to mine, which was WB, as well as The Big Bot they were in making me think of the WB water tower from Tiny Toon Adventures or Animaniacs come to life, if only just a wee little bit, in a vague aesthetic sense, that it looks a little bit like a water tower, in which they are assimilated into this worldview.

And I think ALL the Durprees are well flattered by their looks in this video. They look like the stars we feel they should all be.

They look like a million bucks.

HowardGLITCH wrote:
obviously, the topic has a million interesting prophecies, so I'm curious what the director meant by it?

They filmed the video in Tyler, so I'm thinking that might have just been actual local graffiti on the locations. It's also the year they release their first post WB project though... Wink

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Little Firefly
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
mr pine wrote:

yeah after second view i got that they only saw the creatures when wearing the masks.

not sure on the symbolism though. i know they were jaded by the wb, but I would be hesitant to say everything they do these days has a jab at the music industry in it. like most seem to think.

I mean what if it was just a cool video concept about monsters that only exist when you wear a mask? some times some things don't have a deeper hidden meaning.

i could be wrong though.

I thought of that too. It could just as easily be about religion, about political biases, or just a more abstract notion of seeing things for yourself and not through filters others give you.

I think the Iron Giant came to mine, which was WB, as well as The Big Bot they were in making me think of the WB water tower from Tiny Toon Adventures or Animaniacs come to life, if only just a wee little bit, in a vague aesthetic sense, that it looks a little bit like a water tower, in which they are assimilated into this worldview.

And I think ALL the Durprees are well flattered by their looks in this video. They look like the stars we feel they should all be.

They look like a million bucks.

HowardGLITCH wrote:

They filmed the video in Tyler, so I'm thinking that might have just been actual local graffiti on the locations. It's also the year they release their first post WB project though... Wink

The symbolism could also to allude to Stacy's description of the song as well and how it is about growing up and changing your view of the world. I mean...other than the Garron/Stacy swap, they shed their helmets in age order. Perhaps it is about letting go of childish fears and gaining a more realistic view of the world. Who knows...
As previously stated, it could be about anything or just a cool video about monsters and space helmets.
sebas
Golly, Poster

Thought it was a great video. Weird, but a great video.

wilsmith wrote:

Band is sent out into the world with a vision provided to them by the machinery of the thing they were in (the music business).

With those visors on, the world is a frightening place and they are stalked by the products of the machine, which are in constant pursuit of them.

The view doesn't work, it fails the, and when they finally shed that view, there's nothing to fear, it's just them and the world.

Nerd. Razz

-Mahatma, Gandhi
olimario
Laughing Citizen

The girls look beautiful in this video. Very well shot.
But the CG models and animation are low quality and distracting.

I love the opening shot, by the way.
Wish there had been more of that lip syncing with the faces changing.
Very cool effect.

Overall probably their best video, but I think they need to be higher concept than just a bunch of CG things walking around which is basically what Memories was.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i imagined it to be something more along the lines of Castle In The Sky meets steam punk and that the helments would just be things they were wearing for a mission. however, i still like this video though. be cool if it was a little more action oriented, but i'm not complaining

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The only think I was taken about by with the video, one that might have either enhance (by masking some some of the shortcomings of CGI in general) or detracted from (by making thing harder to see) the effect would be that it be set at night. The Hot Air Balloons (Fire Kites).

If you've ever seen a Balloon Glow, which we have annually before the Great Forest Park Balloon Race you can imagine how that effect would have looked:

Lighting is always an issue with night time videos, but it would have been good to seen the lighting literally rendered via the "Fire Kites". It could also have made for an interesting visual effect from the Helmets, where they could have been a light source for the wardrobe, that would also provide some noir-ish shadows on the wardrobe. Maybe along the lines of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, or not...

RE: Steam Punk, I wasn't going to bring that up since there was that tense debate on whether their wardrobe choices fit the bill when the first pictures of them getting dressed for the vid surfaced Razz

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Let's talk about the awesome opening scene more!
I want more of that!

I really feel like the video has nothing to do with the song at all.
And if it does I have to conclude that the song was about nothing in particular to begin with.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Well, the first thing I thought of was Michael Jackson's Black or White video, which I think was the first to digitally morph faces, though I know there was an earlier one that just did a fade.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I really liked the video. It reminds me of War of the Worlds, Tim Burton style. I also agree with Wil. That's what I took from the video (your edit about them leaving WB. I don't know if it was done of purpose, but it definitely has that air to it, to me.)

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
norad
Vintage Newbie

I think the video looks really awesome!
Last edited by norad on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

olimario wrote:
Let's talk about the awesome opening scene more!
I want more of that!

I really feel like the video has nothing to do with the song at all.
And if it does I have to conclude that the song was about nothing in particular to begin with.

personally, i think you're looking at it from two very extreme angles. i think it's really open for interpretation. the parts with the robots show how unrealistically dark the world can be when going through troubles. the ending then showing them getting out of troubles and hard times (maybe throwing away a negative mindset in taking off the helmets?) and seeing the world for what it really is.

do you honestly think the song is about nothing in particular? you're smarter than that now. don't be so extreme

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I just find the storytelling in the video to be weak and whatever metaphors the robots are to be reaching.

It's very lazy writing/storytelling and reeks of high school music videos where people are running from something. I helped teach a 12th grade film class and half of the projects turned in used the same story line as this music video.

I'm probably just being overly critical, but I want them to do a music video that is actually about something.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
^ Well, the first thing I thought of was Michael Jackson's Black or White video, which I think was the first to digitally morph faces, though I know there was an earlier one that just did a fade.

Yeah, me too and this one? Cry by Godley and Creme.

I like the video. They all look great and the cgi things look Sherri inspired.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX