Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

in the tradition of my LC Ep thread.

December 9th marks 8 years since the release of the MT Ep.
This was my first Eisley cd, and my first introduction to the band.
I saw the video for Marvelous Things on tv one day and fell in love.

I bought the EP as soon as I could.

Track by Track

#1 - Marvelous Things - What can be said about this tune. It's great. The 3/4 timing is awesome. The drumming and signing is great. The video is great.

#2 - Memories - I have always said, and continue to say, that if I was to pick one song to introduce someone to Eisley, it would be Memories. It's just that good. And the perfect example of all things eisley.

#3 - Sea King - A fun silly song that harkens back to some ep 2 days (lyrics wise). A great third track. And a fun song to listen to.

#4 - The Winter Song - A beautiful coda. And I think this song should get more love from the band. I would love to hear the girls sing it live. I think being that it's winter, the song is even more fitting now.

all in all a great ep. this and laughcing city were just enough to hold me over till room noises came out

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Eight years? Good lord! I remember buying a pre-release early run copy at my first Eisley show in Houston. (On Chauntelle's birthday!) That was such an incredibly magical time ...

I remember them talking about going to make the Marvelous Things video, among so many other things. (The early bits of Golly Sandra heard on an MTV segment, along with a thing on the pretty much unknown Kings of Leon; Memories' early title "Musical Seeds" ...)

The EP was woefully short, but so dang good.

I could seriously write a book. Thanks for the nostalgia boost!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

This was my first Eisley cd, and my first introduction to the band.
I saw the video for Marvelous Things on tv one day and fell in love.

Yup, me too.

It's a 5/5 star release
4 distinct tunes, all given a proper treatment, that sound unified. The key thing was that they were esoteric enough to project this aura of mystery, that probably much to some peoples' chagrin, made the band seem magical. That otherworldly element has been harder to capture with the full-lengths, which is part of the reason the EPs hold up so well, and still tug at our heartstrings.

ps - AMG [All Music Guide aka allmusic.com] has given each Eisley LP 4 stars, which is VERY good.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Jeeeeeeez, eight years! I remember being so excited for Marvelous Things to come out. I think I ended up getting the only copy Best Buy had, and it's one with the messed up printing. I played the poo out of it. I still think it's too short (Boyd did too, as I recall), but it makes up for that by being absolutely brilliant. I need to go listen to "Sea King" again--it's been so long!

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

didn't they track a lot more songs for it? i thought it was too short too

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Short & Sweet = enhanced replayablity, or didn't ya'll know Wink

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I remember seeing them on a music video program and loving their stuff. I went to a Christian Bookstore and listened to the EP and liked it and for some reason, didn't buy it. A year and a half later, I heard they had their debut album coming out and I started listening to them and then became obsessed. I went and bought Room Noises and MT and LC. I played the crap out of them.

I don't know why I forgot to get their stuff until Room Noises. I think I just completely forgot about them. So weird. I'm a little sad that I didn't start following their stuff in 2003 when I first heard about them. Anyways.

MT is seriously great and I, still, think it's their most solid EP they've put out. I will always choose the EP version of MT to Room Noises. There is something missing in the RN version. Also, The Winter Song is still one my top 10 favorite Eisley songs, easy.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

Eight years??? Geez. My copy is still floating around in the hands of a criminal who stole all my CDs a few years back, along with my Laughing City EP and a ton of rare finds from Europe and other out of print things. R.I.P. CD collection.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

anotherrandomtuesday wrote:
Eight years??? Geez. My copy is still floating around in the hands of a criminal who stole all my CDs a few years back, along with my Laughing City EP and a ton of rare finds from Europe and other out of print things. R.I.P. CD collection.

Ugh, that rat bastard. That really sucks.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Marina
Sea Post King

Marvelous Things was the beginning for me too. So nostalgic!
Unfortunately, the country where I live does not sell Eisley's products, just got my EP years later.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

#2 - Memories - I have always said, and continue to say, that if I was to pick one song to introduce someone to Eisley, it would be Memories. It's just that good. And the perfect example of all things eisley.

True then, true now, and true later. A perfect example of recorded music period, I think I will grow tired of drawing breath before I grow tired of hearing that song.

They played 'Winter Song' during a winter show in the past couple years, probably @ Brewtones? Surely someone here was witness? I remember reading the account, or Sherri mentioning it somewhere. Demonstrates they still like the song, it's a great seasonal non-Christmas tune, not too many of those.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
mr pine wrote:

True then, true now, and true later. A perfect example of recorded music period, I think I will grow tired of drawing breath before I grow tired of hearing that song.

(I will add that the 'perfect example of recorded music' version I'm referring to is on Room Noises as the musical buildup is more dramatic and splendorous and benefited by the slightly accelerated tempo. Regardless, in either form it's an Eisley classic.)

Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

I've got two copies of the Marvelous Things EP. One copy thats signed, framed, and displayed on the wall along with my other autographed Eisley memorabilia. The other copy I've played so much over the years I've owned it, that if it were a vinyl LP, it would be paper thin. I usually keep that copy in my car.

It snows a lot here in NW Ohio from Nov. thru March, and I love to listen to The Winter Song while driving home from work in the dark, watching the snow fall. It always makes me smile and feel better, no matter how bad my day at work was.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
didn't they track a lot more songs for it? i thought it was too short too

Hmm...I know they definitely did for Laughing City. I think it was Mike Mogis who recorded a version of Sun Feet with strings - or was it another song - that has never been officially released? I can't remember with MT. I see Aaron Sprinkle and Dan Green produced it via wikipedia. Mogis and John Goodmanson produced LC. At that period I guess the label was trying them with any kind of producer they could find. I would have to get the actual albums out to see the detailed credits. I can't remember if they said they recorded a studio version of Mr. Pine during either of these EP sessions or not. I really thought that could have been a hit single if it had made Room Noises.

At this time Boyd would put online links to videos on the EPs, right? I'm guessing the links are dead now? Laughing Or is there actual media embedded on the disc?