Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

ks1990 wrote:
The strings sound a bit too MIDI-y for my liking, but other than that it's pretty awesome. <3

Except they're not...

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Kayci
Golly, Poster

Love it. I'm getting more hyped for the whole album!
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I liked it a lot. It fits very well with what's happening right now in music. I was hoping, I guess, for something a bit more experimental, but it is definitely very good pop. Can't wait to hear some of the moodier tracks.
Vintage Newbie

Wow, that was really good. It's coming out in April, right? I know what I want for my birthday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ks1990
Lost at Forum

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
ks1990 wrote:
The strings sound a bit too MIDI-y for my liking, but other than that it's pretty awesome. <3

Except they're not...

IIRC, didn't Jeremy say on his blog that he likes to mix real strings with MIDI strings? If so, it's a production choice that I'm not too keen on, but that's just me.

Great song either way, though.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

No. He plays everything. I've talked to him about it quite a bit since it's a huge reason I'm recording with him. His last album had strings on every song, every track had violin, cello and viola. Each of those had 6 different parts and he tracked 12 different tracks for each part, sitting in a different section to make his own orchestra of strings. Pretty thorough.

He may have used some on this, but given his capabilities, I highly doubt it. And I know he's put a lot of hours into it cause every time I would visit Red Velvet during the process, he was really tired, about to burn out or he couldn't meet up cause he was busy with, mostly, this album. And to top it off, during making this album, he's done strings for Sleeping at Last, recorded some stuff with a guy who came to MO to record in studio with him, finished his album, did a huge album release show and many other things.

I know SAL has had him mix some strings with midi before, but it was per Ryan's request.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:

dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well done, well done indeed. I'm in a mellow mood today so it's struck me as a little brighter than I'm keen on digesting at the moment. Definitely Pristine. Crystalline in sound.

Actually made me think of the Cardigans and A Camp, but if you don't have any exposure to their "deep album cuts" from yesteryear that's not gonna make any sense to you.

Stacy's breath control on this one is what really stuck out to me as far as positives. It sounds like she's really projecting while using her head voice (a very Bjork thing to do Wink ). She sounds energized and confident, good things. Gonna take some getting used to in order to get into "not so moody" tracks with Stacy's voice on them. I guess her Sleeping At Last guest spot will have to serve as my primer.

if I had to make a call, One Last Song is more me right now, if I'm permitted to be my melancholy old self and not get pummeled for it Laughing

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
I guess her Sleeping At Last guest spots will have to serve as my primer.

Spots? She has more than one?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

She was on the 1st EP, and I thought she was on a later EP, but my wires were probably crossed because she was on Jon Foreman's EPs as well, and then he was on a later Yearbook EP, as well as Jeremy Larson. So in the midst of all that I may be misrepresenting her participation. My bad.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

No. He plays everything. I've talked to him about it quite a bit since it's a huge reason I'm recording with him. His last album had strings on every song, every track had violin, cello and viola. Each of those had 6 different parts and he tracked 12 different tracks for each part, sitting in a different section to make his own orchestra of strings. Pretty thorough.

He may have used some on this, but given his capabilities, I highly doubt it. And I know he's put a lot of hours into it cause every time I would visit Red Velvet during the process, he was really tired, about to burn out or he couldn't meet up cause he was busy with, mostly, this album. And to top it off, during making this album, he's done strings for Sleeping at Last, recorded some stuff with a guy who came to MO to record in studio with him, finished his album, did a huge album release show and many other things.

I know SAL has had him mix some strings with midi before, but it was per Ryan's request.
He is definitely talented, and really seems to know what he's doing. Especially impressive since I don't think he has any classical/formal training (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). He plays better and more in tune than some of the people I play with at the university orchestra level!

This track is genuinely impressive and totally dreamy. I already like it more than almost anything Eisley... shhh!

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
oathmeal
Sea Post King

Wow.. Love
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

hisownshot wrote:

He is definitely talented, and really seems to know what he's doing. Especially impressive since I don't think he has any classical/formal training (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). He plays better and more in tune than some of the people I play with at the university orchestra level!

This track is genuinely impressive and totally dreamy. I already like it more than almost anything Eisley... shhh!

He's actually a classically trained pianist. Went to college for it. He oozes talent, I swear. My brother likes Sucre more than Eisley now, too. However, he loves the ending to One Last Song, which he didn't love so he turned it off before the switch over even came, I made him go listen to the end. Haha.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:

anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

So I've been a bit bored of the whole girl-with-a-pretty-voice genre of music lately, but HOLY SH!T.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

hisownshot wrote:

He's actually a classically trained pianist. Went to college for it. He oozes talent, I swear. My brother likes Sucre more than Eisley now, too. However, he loves the ending to One Last Song, which he didn't love so he turned it off before the switch over even came, I made him go listen to the end. Haha.

Classically trained pianist =/= to classically trained string player (or vice versa), but nonetheless it explains a lot! Yeah, I was not feeling One Last Song and I skipped ahead to see if it would get any better, happily it did.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

vivalaspopie wrote:
I liked it a lot. It fits very well with what's happening right now in music. I was hoping, I guess, for something a bit more experimental, but it is definitely very good pop. Can't wait to hear some of the moodier tracks.

Pretty much my feelings exactly. Not a bad thing, I really like it! Just had no idea what to expect, but not sure if I expected that. Sounds good, I can definitely imagine this one on one of those "indie rock" stations and getting noticed!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>