Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

erico wrote:
I really seem to be in the minority here, but Laugh It Off is the one track that doesn't really click for me...
Not a big deal. Laugh It Off isn’t an Eisley-ish song at all; it’s exactly what I expected from Stacy, though. I think after hearing her album, I’m going to be wishing really hard that they go their separate ways, at least for a while, so Stacy can focus solely on her music, because I feel like Sherri compromises her art more than half the time (imagine if Stacy was constantly collaborating with Sherri on her drawings...). They’re just so different, and Stacy seems so out of place in the band now. She’s not the malleable kid sis anymore. I just hope she knows that it’s okay to grow out of something you’ve been a part of since you were a child, even if that thing you’ve been a part of involves your family. And I’m not trying to imply that anyone is forcing her to stay in Eisley, but I do feel like if she ever thought about going her 'own way', all the way, there’s a possibility she might feel too guilty to actually go.

I think the EP is awesome, and the title song has especially grown on me, but I’d be okay if Eisley, as we know it, ended it on this really high note. If Stacy has contributed to this album as little as I think she has, I honestly think they could carry on without her, and vice-versa.

*Ducks*

johnip
Vintage Newbie

You might wanna dig a bomb shelter after that post! Laughing
Laughing Citizen

tahruh wrote:
erico wrote:
I really seem to be in the minority here, but Laugh It Off is the one track that doesn't really click for me...
Not a big deal. Laugh It Off isn’t an Eisley-ish song at all; it’s exactly what I expected from Stacy, though. I think after hearing her album, I’m going to be wishing really hard that they go their separate ways, at least for a while, so Stacy can focus solely on her music

...but if you hear her music so far (in Sucre), it sounds nothing like "Laugh It Off" or her other Eisley songs either...?

I'm not going to try to convince otherwise, but just my opinion I LOVE the fact that she/they aren't letting side projects overshadow the group. I'm excited for the next Eisley direction AND I'm excited for the totally different sound of the collaboration of Sucre.

From Room Noises (and even before then!) Stacy and Sherri had different writing styles and one could definitely tell their songs apart if you listened to them enough. If anything, Sherri got harder than typical "Eisley" with her sound. But really, I don't even believe that statement, because they always had a varied sound. Example: "They All Surround Me" vs. "Head Against the Sky" or even "Sleepy Head." "Telescope Eyes" vs. "Just Like We Do"... "Go Away" vs. "Taking Control" and so on and so forth. Just saying, that argument for a split could be used since their incarnation.

In my musical tastes, it works. It's varied enough that it stays interesting, but they fit enough that I at least can like, if not love, every song. If you definitely like one style more than another, that may not work, but my opinion is that Eisley works best WHEN they work together (case in point, many seem to like "Deep Space," the song. I realize that the one thing I like most is the interplay between the two voices...the harmonies and back and forth that those two make is one reason why Eisley was so unique to begin with!) Another case, a lot of people seemed to like "I Wish" from The Valley, which was another song credited (at least in one place Laughing) to both.

Anyway, that's my opinion on an opinion! Laughing While you can hear different vibes in different songs at times, I think that's a positive thing in Eisley's music and helps to keep them interesting...plus, it's not a new thing at all.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
erico wrote:
Not a big deal. Laugh It Off isn’t an Eisley-ish song at all; it’s exactly what I expected from Stacy, though. I think after hearing her album, I’m going to be wishing really hard that they go their separate ways, at least for a while, so Stacy can focus solely on her music, because I feel like Sherri compromises her art more than half the time (imagine if Stacy was constantly collaborating with Sherri on her drawings...). They’re just so different, and Stacy seems so out of place in the band now. She’s not the malleable kid sis anymore. I just hope she knows that it’s okay to grow out of something you’ve been a part of since you were a child, even if that thing you’ve been a part of involves your family. And I’m not trying to imply that anyone is forcing her to stay in Eisley, but I do feel like if she ever thought about going her 'own way', all the way, there’s a possibility she might feel too guilty to actually go.

I think the EP is awesome, and the title song has especially grown on me, but I’d be okay if Eisley, as we know it, ended it on this really high note. If Stacy has contributed to this album as little as I think she has, I honestly think they could carry on without her, and vice-versa.

*Ducks*

These are almost exactly the same thoughts I have been having ever since Stacy and Sherri's styles really started to part. There is just such a definite difference in their writing, and when I listen to an Eisley album it not longer feels cohesive in the same way that their music used to, prior to The Valley. Kind of starting in Combinations, I guess. Not that there is anything wrong with an album that features two different styles of writing, there certainly isn't, but I often find myself wishing for one or the other.

That said, I have really grown attached to Stacy's writing (it feels more like a matured version of the Eisley I have grown to love), where as Sherri seems to really have taken off and gone into her own direction (which is awesome and I respect that, but it's not really my dig). Obviously Sherri still hints to past Eisley in her writing, how could she not, but the way in which she and her vocals have matured have taken a more unexpected turn, in my opinion of course.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
Last edited by hisownshot on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
erico wrote:

*Ducks*

I'm down about Whitney too, it gets better.

Ok moving on:

This ep without the rhodes and stacy's vocals would not be the same, laugh it off without chauntelle's guitar wouldn't be the same etc.

Tip from other successful long lasting bands:

Write all the songs You want, share what you want, be in other bands, do solo records. Ccme back "him" and Enjoy the original band for what it is and what happens in that collaboration.

Art can be shared sans compromises, it has no will, the artist does. It doesn't dictate how things get done and with who. That said, it's high time we accept a beautiful and frightening reality:

Eisley and its members are talented enough to do just about any style of music well, and respected enough to find talented collaborators outside of their family to create it or do it within the band. This is a positive, having options, not a threat. You don't have to leave a band to see your somgwriting mupse blossom. Bing a songwriter who writes for a band, and for myself i know that that's a false dichotomy. In the music business, that conflict is one Management and labels use to manipulate artists when revenue is the primary motivation. even when money is a factor, two is better than one, revenue streams wise. At least in the world of workng musicians.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

johnip wrote:
You might wanna dig a bomb shelter after that post! Laughing

i'm already sending ten nukes his way.

but really, i don't believe eisley would be the same without stacy. i mean the harmonies wouldn't be the same. i mean chauntelle could carry the wright singing, but the contrast between stacy and sherri's songs wouldn't be there anymore. also this would mean no more keyboards in eisley. oh, i think eisley is stacy's "rock" outlet, while sucre is her more calm and experimental outlet.

i will also admit it'd be cool to hear sherri do some solo work.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Also, before this thread completely changes directions (maybe I'm too late!) a quick additional opinion on the EP now that it's basically officially released!

It's a grower, but boy did it grow! If one can definitely get the CD or a really good iTunes/Amazon download, do it! You miss a lot of the nuances in the music listening to the streaming versions!

Overall - I like the lyrics. Even though there's definite meaning ("love" songs, "moving on" songs), I like how they are vague enough that one can put their own experiences to the lyrics as well. I like what I'm assuming are Sherri's lyrical expressions about her feelings.

Lights Out - This was my favorite live song from the last tour. I still like it. It has such a driving, majestic feel to it musically, I feel like gazing over a mountain cliff in awe while listening to it (though it's a song about "home"). Laughing

Laught It Off - This was iffy on me upon the first listen. Days later it became my favorite. I can't really hear her vocals on the verses, so that held me back, but now I understand more and I love it musically. It has such a groove and it reminds me of those smooth rock/soul songs of the late 70s. Cool Probably a current fave or second behind....

Deep Space - Love the transitions, the authenic guitars, their back and forth/harmonies. Fave song on the EP.

192 Days - Well, I like this version best of any other time I heard it. "Lost At Sea" is probably still my favorite love song of hers.

One Last Song - I like this a lot. This recorded version sounds beautiful musically.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ i would say it's not a record tha snatches you, it just hugs you all of a sudden, but holds on for a real long time so you realize how warm and comforting it is. If you're in the right mood it WILL snatch you immediately.

Also, i think Laugh It Off Fitd Perfectly. So far, over the course of the band each sister has written one sing that sounds vintage in some way and it sticks out with the rest of the material from that time period. Laugh it off ain't the kid doin' it's own thing on this ep, it's 192 days.

Also, people forget that Stacy plays guitar, and judging by Sad, can hold down some rock grooves like nobodies business. Left to her own devices she might surprise you with her songwriting.

I find it interesting that when given the chance, both sherri and stacy have taken to singing without playing an instrument. sherri on a few eisley songs and smarter when max is available and stacy and sucre. And judging by Sad and Just Like We Do Stacy gets a kick out of it too. They're grown women and men now, this isn't the last evolution the band will undergo i'm sure.

Why would we presume they won't let the band grow to flatter them & their development? Why would we view it as some sort of burden. They're a well adjusted family, they will no doubt make it work for everyone in the band,

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Also, people forget that Stacy plays guitar, and judging by Sad, can hold down some rock grooves like nobodies business. Left to her own devices she might surprise you with her songwriting.

I find it interesting that when given the chance, both sherri and stacy have taken to singing without playing an instrument. sherri on a few eisley songs and smarter when max is available and stacy and sucre. And judging by Sad and Just Like We Do Stacy gets a kick out of it too. They're grown women and men now, this isn't the last evolution the band will undergo i'm sure.

Why would we presume they won't let the band grow to flatter them & their development? Why would we view it as some sort of burden. They're a well adjusted family, they will no doubt make it work for everyone in the band,

well said

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

@Mystic

No, but it does sound what I perceive to be as very Stacy. Having a style doesn’t mean it has to be monotonous; I don’t wear the same clothes every day, but people constantly tell me this or that is “very Tara.”

And that’s great that you’re excited for that, but Eisley are people, not machines here to churn out songs for us. Even people super gifted such as themselves have to work to create their products, and songs that get a little extra TLC often turn out better than the ones that don’t. (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais is The Clash’s Magnum Opus; it was Joe’s favorite song they created, and it was even played at his funeral. Mick has stated on more than one occasion that the song is so special because of the extra focus and care it received. To ask someone for quality work from one project is a lot, let alone two. I think there’s a reason that there’s only one Stacy song on this EP -- she was working on her album. And to be honest, Laugh It Off sounds like something that didn’t make the cut for it, even though I haven't heard it... I just have this feeling. Wink I’m actually very curious to know who wrote the music with her (as well as who wrote the music for some of the Sherri songs. I feel like Max made somewhat of an imprint once again).

I’m not suggesting that Stacy was a mindless drone when she was a teenager, but she was very young, and she and Sherri had a lot more in common then, being fairly isolated from society, living in the same house, and sharing similar experiences by default. They’re older now, and have separate lives, and better formed identities, and surprise: they’re different people!

I believe I’ve already had this discussion before, about mixing styles and whatnot. Most bands I love are a product of super diverse styles. It’s not that. It’s about the final product. Those bands weren’t good because they amalgamated styles, even if that was in and of itself interesting; they were good then, and revered today, because it meshed well (the trouble for me with Eisley also began after RN, when Sherri let her pop-punky boyfriends influence the band she was 1/6 of’s music, so I wouldn’t use any of those songs as examples). But really, that’s not even the real issue for me. I honestly think Eisley holds Stacy back. Sucre seems like it’s an outlet from her day job. She’s “blessed” enough to be in a position where it can be her only sustenance.

Re: Deep Space, there was a bit of a throwback to the harmonies. That’s what I originally loved about the band so much, but in what way did she contribute to the song otherwise? Also, did we forget that Chauntelle sings? And really interestingly, at that? We don’t have to lose the harmonies necessarily.

And I’m only saying this now because I value VLP’s opinions/taste. There’s no doubt that I will love Sucre.

@Wil

Oh, come on (I actually laughed at that and now feel horrible. Thank you).

Good point about the Rhodes. But I don’t think Stacy playing Rhodes on a couple of Sherri songs really outweighs my concern about where else she could be focusing that creativity.

Refer to my response to Mystic.

-------------
Edit:

wilsmith wrote:
They're a well adjusted family, they will no doubt make it work for everyone in the band,
Compromise does help groups function, true. Not sure if it helps them flourish always, though, especially when two members are at odds (not on a personal level, of course). But how much should one have to compromise for a group that makes art? I go back to Sherri's drawings. What if Stacy contributed to, on average, about half of her drawings in a given period? Maybe they'd be interesting -- this isn't necessarily the greatest comparison -- but their styles are different, and Sherri is more classically gifted in this area, and many people would probably hope Sherri would draw more of her own original pictures, and some would of course prefer Stacy to do some solo artwork, because there are so few universals in this world. But why give something half your talent when you can give it your all, especially if your talent in that area is so tremendous? I’m okay with Eisley + Sucre, but I was just thinking about Stacy in this scenario. I PMed this back to Wil, when he so caringly asked me if I was okay (Laughing [for the record, I am fine. Physically worn from snowboarding for the last three days, but that’s about it]), but Stacy has talked about her confidence issues in the past. She seems more assertive than ever, though, and hopefully if she wants to go solo, she will. But as a former Business major, one of the first things covered is the difficulty that can arise when working with one’s family, even if they are the kind of upstanding people that would never let something as awful as money come between them. It’s understandably much harder to cut business ties with people you love.

Again, it’s just an opinion. I am not surprised by the responses, judging by some of your guys’ musical tastes (from what I remember, anyway), and likewise, it is probably no surprise I feel this way judging by own tastes. To some extent, it’s definitely a matter of taste. I admittedly feel a bit alienated by Sherri’s influence on the band a little more than half the time these days. Some people do, too, and others don’t, and that doesn’t matter a ton, and is not the main point I’m trying to make (anymore, at least).

Last edited by tahruh on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i don't know, i still think i like the more rock oriented stacy so far. however, i won't pass final judgement until sucre's album comes out. however, i also don't think she should leave eisley or abandon sucre as they are two different kinds of outlets for her just as eisley/say anything is from perma for sherri and max. though sucre might be stacy's "solo" project, i don't think sucre would be sucre without jeremy larson and darren king.

i know in blogs though sherri and stacy have mentioned or been mentioned to not want to include some demos for consideration for albums cause they don't think the song(s) was "eisley" enough.

i think garron made a post on laughing city once saying that they went into the studio one day with one more demo than they originally intended. according to him sherri wrote the song that morning but didn't want to put it up for the band's consideration cause she didn't think it was eisley enough until everyone called her out.

also, according to tweets, it seems like stacy has two different mindsets when it comes to writing for sucre and writing for eisley.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

AND i also remember last year after the valley came out and they went on the first headlining tour for it, after the first show, that night stacy and sherri were tweeting about how they were already excitedly talking about ideas for LP4 in the back of the van. i think this proves that neither of them have any intentions of abandoning eisley yet and that stacy has her own separate ideas she feels would be better saved for the band

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Ok, what was said about quality versions and not the stream, that's a factor. Them rhodes and keys embelllish or carry all but one song. They actually "make" the most guitar heavy songs. Her sense of space in regards to the arrangements is uncanny, and breaths on this ep because there aren't others in their place like orchestration etc. It's a gone beyond the touches on Smarter that tamed the song from then live version. She's found the "pocket".

I play guitar primarily, but when in track other instruments and find those ways to create a sticky counter melody or rhythm, it's exhilerating. It takes time to find those parts, genuis to come up with ones that feel ike theynwere always there to begin with. eisleynis doing that on this ep better than i recall.

One thing that comes to mind about the synergy of the band is what weston, garron, chauntelle & co. did to Christe's songs at Brewtones.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

@Man
Very true. I shouldn’t have implied that Sucre isn’t a collaborative effort -- it very much is! And I feel like I’m probably going to prefer it to her collaboration with Eisley at this stage. You will never catch me saying a bad word about RN and pre-RN stuff as a whole, though.

Also, having two mindsets is taxing. Compartmentalizing is a useful tactic, but certainly a draining one.

Above all, Stacy should do what she wants. And if she wants to be in Eisley and Sucre at the time, she should definitely do that.

@Wil
Hahaha. We are so different. I was always Team Christie Solo With No Backing Band.

The Rhodes is a legit argument. But I’m selfish, and a stan, and know we’d have it in Sucre.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

For the record i love the solo versions of Christie's songs and had no idea what they might sound like with a band so i was pleasantly surprised by the arrangements, and the ideas they came up with.

And i'm 100% with The Man on the Moon. If you listen to Sucre next to Larson's on stuff or Sleeping at Last, the impact of Larson that material becomes very clear. In the sucre bio she mentioned being a fan of his arrangements, and i've been wondering if she wrote more than just vocal melodies and lyrics for Sucre? No shame in that if that's the case.

Oh, the art analogy. Since i used to be into comics, i'll invoke that medium.

There are pencilers who draw the initial image
There are inkers who go over the pencils in ink
There are colorists who add color

Some pencilers do their own inking
Some artists actually paint

But one thing is true, certain combinatins of artists produce unique and brilliant work. Some do some solo. Not all styles suite the mood and tone of the stories the illustrations depict. That's what editors are their to sort out. eisley are their own editors now.

As far as business and family, that goes both ways, another band could try and recruit any member to fill an open slot in a notable touring band. In those cases you find out how deep the love goes. If you love somebody, set them free, according to Sting, on his solo Debut Wink doesn't mean they can't comeback though.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>