Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
erico
Sea Post King

*Ducks*[/quote]
That said, I have really grown attached to Stacy's writing (it feels more like a matured version of the Eisley I have grown to love), where as Sherri seems to really have taken off and gone into her own direction (which is awesome and I respect that, but it's not really my dig). Obviously Sherri still hints to past Eisley in her writing, how could she not, but the way in which she and her vocals have matured have taken a more unexpected turn, in my opinion of course.[/quote]

It's funny, but I would have said the exact opposite...
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I'm not the super-fan who is up to speed on who writes what.

Who Wrote
-Laugh it Off
-Deep Space
-Lights Out

And then who wrote my favorites of
-Mr. Moon
-Be Kind
-Watch It Die
-I Wish

?
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
@Mystic

No, but it does sound what I perceive to be as very Stacy. Having a style doesn’t mean it has to be monotonous; I don’t wear the same clothes every day, but people constantly tell me

I saw this beautiful mink coat the other day.
Very Tara.

kLafied
Laughing Citizen

olimario wrote:

Who Wrote
-Laugh it Off- Stacy
-Deep Space- Sherri?
-Lights Out- Sherri?

-Mr. Moon- Sherri
-Be Kind- Stacy
-Watch It Die- Stacy
-I Wish - Stacy and Sherri

?

I'm pretty positive about most of those... not sure about all of the Deep Space songs though.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:

Who Wrote
-Laugh it Off
-Deep Space
-Lights Out

-Mr. Moon
-Be Kind
-Watch It Die
-I Wish

?

Laugh it off is said to be Stacy
Deep Space IDK
Light's Out is said to be Sherri

Mr. Moon is said to be Sherri
Be Kind is said to be Stacy (total typo, I KNEW she did, mentioned it elsewhere, Where is my mind these days)
Watch It Die is said to be Stacy
I Wish is said to be both

One thing I've always been unclear on is how they handle credits, because my take away has been that their discussion of their writing styles was usually in reference to who writes which Lyrics, not necessarily the music and arrangements. Sometimes that seems really clear, but then there are times when it's harder to tell.

Sherri's rhythm guitar parts are usually mixed very low in the majority their songs, and not ever what I expect when I get to hear them (like the video that someone took right in front of her monitor). Her chord voicings were really unique and I liked them a lot, but you don't really hear them in the songs. I forget the songs, but needless to say, the band versions featured different parts, with Chauntelle's parts being the main melody, which she may have written.

And then there's Stacy killin' it on guitar on Sad (at least the live versions). Her riff is a pretty slick pattern that requires some skill, don't know if she wrote that part or not. I do know that when they had the LP3 making of vids, the version of Sad they played (that they said sounded like R.E.M.) may not have had that lick in it. Garron is also a good guitarist, and has played acoustic parts live, like in the early vids of Be Kind. He's just as capable of writing and arranging melodies.

So, as far as parts and melodies, I wonder how much we do know about who comes up with the instrumental parts. As a musician, if you can hum or sing, you can write melodies for any instrument that someone who has the skill can transcribe or play back for you on that instrument. Because of that, arranging becomes trickier to credit without people saying exactly who came up with what.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
tahruh wrote:
@Mystic

No, but it does sound what I perceive to be as very Stacy. Having a style doesn’t mean it has to be monotonous; I don’t wear the same clothes every day, but people constantly tell me

I saw this beautiful mink coat the other day.
Very Tara.
I saw a douche bag in the feminine care aisle the other day and it totally hit me how much I'm going to miss you.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

@Wil Stacy definitely wrote "Kind". Also, under the titles on The Valley booklet, they have who wrote what.

Also, Stacy said that Christie did the harmonies in "Laugh It Off". I just peed myself.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Last edited by The_Paronomasial_Mattoid on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I thought I heard her!!! Whatever happened to Trail Vanhyde (sp?)?
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I don't know but Christie really does kill it with the harmonies. Stacy and Christie sound amazing together. More of that, please.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
Stacy and Christie sound amazing together. More of that, please.
QFT.
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:
QFT.

Also:
tahruh wrote:
I think the EP is awesome, and the title song has especially grown on me, but I’d be okay if Eisley, as we know it, ended it on this really high note. If Stacy has contributed to this album as little as I think she has, I honestly think they could carry on without her, and vice-versa.

Most people here know I've been a Stacy stan since the 'split', I guess, in Combinations. Sucre is so nauseatingly perfectly wonderful and ALL the way up my alley that I'd honestly be completely fine with this situation. I love Eisley a lot, but feel disconnected from Sherri's musical lean and writing. I like her songs, I love watching her perform them, the band as a whole is wonderful. But I think it says something that every Sucre piece I've heard (5 or 6 of them, only one I don't know the name of) has instantly won both my heart and a spot in an almost constant since-last-week replay.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

@Wil Stacy definitely wrote "Kind". Also, under the titles on The Valley booklet, they have who wrote what.

Also, Stacy said that Christie did the harmonies in "Laugh It Off". I just peed myself.

In publishing, credits for lyric authorship are published, but not wholesale songs, when there are bands involved. That's why on albums by singer songwriters with bands, when other players perform they are credited individually as far as what they contributed.

Case in point, if you look at the allmusic.com credits, they list composers, which traditionally refers to the a person who writes all the musical parts, like Beethoven or Mozart. I know Sherri and Stacy are very talented, but they are listed as composers for Every song on the record in some capacity, and I seriously doubt they wrote all the guitar parts, bass parts, and drum parts on the record. They credit other members as performers on the record, but not as cowriters of the actual songs (music as opposed to lyrics). So that's where I'm coming from with what I say.

On spare songs with only keys or guitar and a vocal, it's easier to say so and so wrote all of that, but take kind for example, Stacy no doubt wrote the keys, and lyrics, and could have written the guitar part that went with it, but so could have Sherri, Chauntelle, or Garron. With each additional part of a song, there's that much collaboration and credit to be shared, if a band wishes to do so. Most bands just give the compositional credit to the band collectively.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-valley-r2116454/credits

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tungsten
Sea Post King

Consider what a music critic (think it was entertainment weekly) said of
COMBINATIONS: "Combinations is an album of bewitching contradictions . . . and that is what makes it so beguiling."

The differences between Stacy's songs and Sherri's songs, and further, what they add to each other's songs is Eisley's biggest strength (other than the obvious strengths of beautiful voices and melodies). Dynamic is added when they combine their efforts and play off each other in some way. (ex: I Wish, Better Love). The way Stacy adds to a Sherri song is unique, and the way Sherri adds to Stacy's songs is unique. With The Valley, we saw the possibilities of a Stacy/Chauntelle/Sherri combo . . . I think it would be cool for LP#4 to try things like Stacy/Christie or Chauntelle/Sherri. Wow, head is spinning from all the possibilities.

Also, consider Fleetwood Mac (which music critics often compare Eisley too):

3 different "Lead" singers, talk about extreme variation in songwriting, but that's what makes them so memorable (to me!). Evidence of said statement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEi7GPkxfsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJyzijG0I0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZf833Gnxw
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

^ ^ ^ Yep, yep!!

Just in general and @ Taruh

Thanks for replying. Smile Yes, I get the arguments, but I still stand by the opinion that 1) they always had unique stylings once one realized who did what, 2) that's a strength and 3) it's not impeding on either/any project.

Influences from other people/boyfriends or not, even though I used just several songs as examples, I had the whole catalogue in mind when I made my "they were always different" statement. It wasn't so noticeable on Room Noises because yes, they had similar shared experiences as youth but also 1) the production made everything have a dreamy gloss and 2) I could be very wrong but only 3 songs were "Stacy" songs! (Even though Stacy was lead in MT, Sherri wrote it.)

Also, even though they aren't machines....it is their chosen profession to churn out the tunes like machines! Laughing Seriously, though, Stacy had said Sucre was two years in the making and Eisley (whether by choice or not) never did just shoot out songs quickly to get something out there. As adults/humans, we all have to compartmentalize our lives. Granted, not for the critical review of thousands of people, but I see it as allowing both projects to breathe rather than suffocating or stifling either one in one style...just my two cents w/o repeating too much.

PS: What part did Christie sing on "Laugh It Off"?
Last edited by Mystic210 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
QFT.

Yup.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>