Laughing City
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I liked the thunderous bass, drums and guitars myself but it's true the vocals didn't come through as much as hoped (at the show I saw). Probably further from the stage it would sound better mixed. It's funny Chauntelle seems shy about her vocals but her part on ICBTFY shines out the loudest and clearest because the music is so quite there.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

Every tour we make improvements on getting the vocals right in the mix. Weston now has cymbals that are pretty stinking quiet despite sounding great, the guitar amps they are now using are very good at sounding rocking at lower volumes, and we're using some of the highest gain-before-feedback vocal mics in existence. But it can frequently be a really tough thing to do well with pretty female vocals and a rock band.

I generally push the vocals as loud as they will go before feeding back, and then bring the rest of the band up to their level. In some of the more poorly set up smaller venues, even with all the progress we've made, the vocals just can't get as loud as we want, even with everything else muted. It's just something you have to deal with when you're a mid-level band like Eisley. When Eisley was opening for the Fray in the enormous arenas/sheds with an awesome system, there were no problems getting the vocals up in the mix.

Anyhow, you all should know that getting the mix right is a priority for everybody on tour, even though circumstances sometimes fight against us.

And also, if you stand right up front, that can be an awesome place to experience the show from, but it probably means that there are no speakers aiming at you, in which case, you don't get to complain about not enough vocals in the mix.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

kappa962 wrote:
And also, if you stand right up front, that can be an awesome place to experience the show from, but it probably means that there are no speakers aiming at you, in which case, you don't get to complain about not enough vocals in the mix.

Very Happy He speaks the truth. Chose your local wisely. Best sound is always as close to the main mixing board as possible if it's located off stage in the crowd area (or where the reference mic a sound engineer might be using to listen to the mix from that station if it's off center, or in an indirect position re the PA speakers on stage).

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Cabius
Sea Post King

FWIW -- I thought the mix at The Granada last night (in Dallas) was excellent. It was an absolutely wonderful show. Kudos to the mixing team!

This was my 7th Eisley show since 2005, and 3rd of the Valley/Deep Space era (I may have flown from Dallas to LA for one of them) -- they really do seem to get better every time.

"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it." ~ C.S. Lewis
tungsten
Sea Post King

^^^ I have to agree. The Granada show last night was the 6th time I've seen Eisley, and I think it was my favorite. I only wish they'd thrown in a few more from Combinations, notably 'Come Clean', 'Go Away', and 'Invasion'.
Cabius
Sea Post King

Yeah, but... Golly Sandra!
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it." ~ C.S. Lewis
tungsten
Sea Post King

Golly Sandra's still my favorite. First Eisley song I really listened to (I'd heard Marvelous Things and Memories in a store but didn't know who it was).
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Glad to hear it was a good one. Had tickets but had to cancel due to deadlines at work. I Had hoped to pull away for a couple of hours and go but ended up watching the sun rise of over the office on Monday morning.

First Dallas show I've missed in years.

The sound at the Granada last time was fantastic though. Despite the challenges making it happen, it's the "pretty female vocals" over the crunchiness that makes a lot of their sound really work, and they usually get it to happen very well live. But I live in Dallas, and they've tended to play places here that were serious music venues and had decent sound to work with, I think. Whenever I've seen them, its almost always been fantastic.

The Loft show a year or two ago was the only Eisley show I've seen where the sound was lacking anything.. It wasn't objectively terrible, but it seemed the PA was sufficiently weak that I think they had to keep levels down to balance everything. Sounded almost like an acoustic show. Not that that's bad in itself, but it's not the usual experience- it costs them some of their punch live that way, imo. I can see how if on other stops they are playing places more similar to that, it could be tough to make them sound as they should.

My impression, though, is that, tone addicts that they are, they are almost neurotically attentive to their sound, given what they have to work with. At shows I've seen, someone from their crew/Boyd etc is usually manically running around the venue checking it almost constantly and looking very concerned when it sounds perfectly fine to me.

But yeah..... if its too loud, earplugs are the standard solution Smile. Bands don't sound quite right with the levels down.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------

EDIT

FYI, Granada has the photo gallery up from Sunday's show. Has some great shots of Christie and Collin too (and some crowd shots, so if you were there...)
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I found a video with the little intro to the Valley. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8IHHU7nZ4c. Sounds like they ditched the canned strings.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX

<< prev | goto page