Laughing City
ryanstrong
Sea Post King

Hi guys - my name is Ryan Strong and I collaborated with Sucre to create the artwork for A Minor Bird.

See some of the process to making the art, as well as download a free Sucre desktop wallpaper I created.

Click the link here...
http://iamphotograph.com/2012/04/adding-sugar-sucre/

Not only was I honored to be able to work on this project but I had a blast working with everyone.

If you have any questions about the process, the art or anything for that matter ask away.

Have a great day!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Welcome to the Laughing City!

Very Nicely done. The entire layout of the CD (the version of the release I have) is very tastefully done. It definitely achieves the timeless elegance and I'm sure it will be even more appealing for those who ordered vinyl when they receive their records.

You all have done fine work aesthetically with this release. Outside of the Perma hand drawn Singles that Max did, this is the first Dupree family release to not feature the artwork of a Dupree or the Orange, Gold, and Green color scheme in some form or fashion (you could technically throw MUTEMATH releases in there as well given Boyd Dupree designed their latter 2.) So, congratulations on blazing a new trail, and very mightily indeed.

Also, all 3 Jeremy Larson album covers are excellent, and equally tasteful and timeless.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ryanstrong
Sea Post King

@wilsmith

Thank you! You are too kind.

I was definitely very happy with how everything came out. I had listened to some of the music before we began the process of creating the art and thought... "how could I possibly make something worthy to attach itself to something so beautiful that Stacy, Jeremy and Darren created?!". It all came together though and certainly was very rewarding.

I remember at some point realizing that this would be one of the first non-Dupree artwork created for a Dupree release and was at first worried, but very quickly was reassured by the band's responses to what I was working on.

I remember getting the first Eisley EPs in the mail years ago and thought the artwork was amazing, it's insane how creative and talented Boyd and the Dupree crew are. They need to start a family business in bottling the water they drink! Smile

Thank you thank you!

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Very nice work Ryan- Looks great!
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, I second Wil's sentiments. It's seriously great. It's clean lined and sophisticated but still dreamy and has a touch of whimsy to it. I really love it. I feel like it fits the feel of the album so well. You've got a talent, my friend. And yes, welcome to the Laughing City. I think you'll find that you will like it here.

Also, I requested to follow you on Instagram a few days ago. Just a heads up. I really like your stuff. I'm a fellow photographer, as well, so I like to follow fellow photographers.

Oh, also, I noticed a few days ago, when I read the info on the making of the artwork, that you're in KC? I live in Olathe.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
norad
Vintage Newbie

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
Oh, also, I noticed a few days ago, when I read the info on the making of the artwork, that you're in KC? I live in Olathe.

Oh yeaaah. I recognize some of the locations in a few of his photos. A couple are right by where my mom used to live. Cool
ryanstrong
Sea Post King

inorbit wrote:
Very nice work Ryan- Looks great!

Thank you!!

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
Yeah, I second Wil's sentiments. It's seriously great....

Thank you thank you. Yep, sure do live in Kansas City. I love the midwest, it allows for such a relaxing lifestyle and Kansas City, in particular, I feel has a budding design/art centered community that it's nice to be a part of that.

norad wrote:

Oh yeaaah. I recognize some of the locations in a few of his photos. A couple are right by where my mom used to live. Cool

Every time I go out on location for a shoot in KC I feel like there is nothing or nowhere else to shoot but something always pops up!

Thanks again everyone!

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Yeah it looks really classy.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
olimario
Laughing Citizen

As a guy who spends hours and hours a week using photoshop I'm really pleased with the high level of post processing in effect here.

Not to mention the high quality of the source photos.

Very talented people at work.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Needs more drop-shadow. Wink
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Mr. Green

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
ryanstrong
Sea Post King

Nowhere Man wrote:
Yeah it looks really classy.

That was the goal!!

olimario wrote:
As a guy who spends hours and hours a week using photoshop I'm really pleased with the high level of post processing in effect here.

Why thank you. I've spent many many hours learning the art of high-end retouching. It's kind of required when you are a fashion photographer because everything has to be PERFECTLY plastic. Though with Sucre I wanted to be very tasteful, not too much.

JBaker wrote:
Needs more drop-shadow. Wink

Haha, I read that discussion... it reminded me of certain clients that I've had in the past where they have said "MAKE MY LOGO BIGGER!!"

I prescribe this: