Purchase Tickets Online:
http://prekindle.com/promo/id/22191984701791439

- Sucre
http://sucreofficial.com/

- The TonTons
http://tontons.bandcamp.com/

- Air Review
https://www.facebook.com/AirReview

Sucré write the kind of dreamlike pop songs that get lodged into your head before the very first chorus even kicks in. Rounded out by Stacy’s husband, Darren King, on drums, and multi-instrumentalist Jeremy Larson, the trio’s debut album, A Minor Bird, is at times a whisper of mist, at others a tumultuous ocean, weaving across infinite landscapes of strings, horns, and percussion flawlessly on each of the album’s 11 tracks.

Featuring the irresistible lead single “When We Were Young,” and orchestral delights “Hiding Out” and “Troubled Waters,” A Minor Bird will surely appeal to fans of forward-thinking pop. “Incredible music...Stacy’s honeyed vocals are tough to ignore,” gushed MTV.com about the album. Spinner calls it “pop music of the highest order.”
Cabius
Sea Post King

Is anybody else going to this? Trying to talk my wife into it. I'm a bit of an Eisley superfan, and "When We Were Young" blew me away, so hopefully I can get her to come with me...
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it." ~ C.S. Lewis
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Stacy tweeted that they're playing the whole album. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

As usual, eff Texas.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ They are basically going to have to play the whole album everywhere otherwise they are going to be short setting everyone even worse (the album is only 39 minutes after all). Add in Silver Springs, since it was performed be de facto Sucre' and that works out to about the normal 2nd band set list length. It's not uncommon for 1st album tours to have that short set time, which is why a lot of bands, until they get huge, start on those multi-band tours. There's only so much material to work with.

So fear not, when they come your way, and I KNOW they will go out east, cause there is bread to be won out there in a major way, and a lot of love I'm sure, they will still be playing the whole album.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

about 6,371,573 people around here have no idea what they just missed.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

but enough went to sell out the show right???? (don't know the pop of Dallas off-hand to subtract and get a ball park attendance figure).

I know Sucre' tweeted their pleasure with the evening though Very Happy

Glad you made it. Maybe next tour for Missourah. Heh, we got the 1st Sucre' show at least, and it was free!

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tungsten
Sea Post King

I was at the Dallas Show!!!
IT WAS INCREDIBLE. Stacy vocally killed it, and looked beautiful. One of the best moments was Troubled Waters, where she did a vocal layering thing (switching microphones) that I'm not sure how to explain, but it was awesome. Endless Sleep and No Return were my other favorites from the night, but every song was perfect. I was hoping they would encore with the 'Tonight It's You and Me' Red Velvet promo song or Silver Spring, but alas. I might have misheard her but I think Stacy said something about "That's all we have to play now, we're sorry, but we're hoping to have more to play for you in December."

The first opening act, Air Review, were pretty good! They had a big sound that didn't exactly work for the venue, and the vocals were pretty much inaudible, but they were fun.
2nd act Ton Tons were kind of dissapointing . . . the lead singer was incredibly entertaining to watch (who knew so many hand motions existed), and she had an awesome Billie Holiday meets Erykah Badu vocal, but the bass and drums were so flipping loud not one lyric was audible. WHY DO BANDS DO THIS?

Sucre came on and showed 'em how it was done though.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
^ They are basically going to have to play the whole album everywhere otherwise they are going to be short setting everyone even worse (the album is only 39 minutes after all). Add in Silver Springs, since it was performed be de facto Sucre' and that works out to about the normal 2nd band set list length. It's not uncommon for 1st album tours to have that short set time, which is why a lot of bands, until they get huge, start on those multi-band tours. There's only so much material to work with.

So fear not, when they come your way, and I KNOW they will go out east, cause there is bread to be won out there in a major way, and a lot of love I'm sure, they will still be playing the whole album.

Wil, you always know just what to say.

Inorbit, on the other hand...

But really, I'm glad it was so great Very Happy. Hopefully some recordings will pop up from one, some, or all of these shows.

And I like that they'll maybe have some new material come December!

Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

tungsten wrote:
I was at the Dallas Show!!!
IT WAS INCREDIBLE. Stacy vocally killed it, and looked beautiful. One of the best moments was Troubled Waters, where she did a vocal layering thing (switching microphones) that I'm not sure how to explain, but it was awesome. Endless Sleep and No Return were my other favorites from the night, but every song was perfect. I was hoping they would encore with the 'Tonight It's You and Me' Red Velvet promo song or Silver Spring, but alas. I might have misheard her but I think Stacy said something about "That's all we have to play now, we're sorry, but we're hoping to have more to play for you in December."

The first opening act, Air Review, were pretty good! They had a big sound that didn't exactly work for the venue, and the vocals were pretty much inaudible, but they were fun.
2nd act Ton Tons were kind of dissapointing . . . the lead singer was incredibly entertaining to watch (who knew so many hand motions existed), and she had an awesome Billie Holiday meets Erykah Badu vocal, but the bass and drums were so flipping loud not one lyric was audible. WHY DO BANDS DO THIS?

Sucre came on and showed 'em how it was done though.

tungsten, may I copy your words into the sucre gigography?

tungsten
Sea Post King

For sure!
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Wil,

I'd guess there were around two hundred there, maybe a bit less. The club holds about twice that inside I think, but it didn't feel like a particularly sparse crowd; it was a very comfortable and intimate show, which was really kind of nice, because the Eisley shows here- not so much. Various luminaries from among the Tyler nobility were hanging out with nobody hassling them, which was also nice to see.

The Sucre set sounded a bit different live than I had expected - in a good and interesting way: Not sure if it's by design or the result of trying to mix that kind of music for a small room, but whereas the recordings are mixed more or less per usual dream-pop conventions, the percussion was much more prominent live and sans dynamic compression- almost tribal at times, with the vocals intertwining around it. The vocal delivery, in addition to being pretty much flawless, was striking for its almost electronic rhythmic precision, and the sound on quite a few of the songs was very much a drum and voice story, with other instrumentation accenting- unexpectedly danceable and a lot less loungey. Made for a very nice effect, I thought.

Didn't catch Air Review (they're local and play around here reasonably often though, and tbh, their style is less my thing), but I did manage to get the out of town work obligation adequately margaritad and back to the hotel in time to slip in for the Tontons set. I have to dissent from prevailing opinion here and say I enjoyed it. Picked up their CD, and it's quite good imo. They do have a very different sound than Sucre though, so maybe its not surprising that the crossover fan appeal isn't a perfect overlap. Or maybe the sound was better further towards the back (aka- at the bar), dunno.

And Tahruh, at least you'll always have Bruce
Laughing
Last edited by inorbit on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:34 am; edited 3 times in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

...gonna have to dig up some live vids now cause that sounds exciting!

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
...gonna have to dig up some live vids now cause that sounds exciting!

The couple I've seen so far the audio is not so hot... doesn't really convey much of a sense of what is sounded like. Maybe someone has some better footage and hasn't gotten it up yet.
Last edited by inorbit on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

If Brooklyn Vegan is publishing Pro-Quality photos, and all the other press/ publicity events they've been doing, I gotta think they have some quality video, or at least audio of the shows in their possession, or have some that's been shot by friends/ peers/ collaborators...

I'm just assuming/ getting my hopes up.

kristinebazan
Sea Post King

here are some photos from the dallas show. there was hardly any light in the room, so they're pretty grainy. and of course, i really only got photos of stacy. she's hard to take your eyes off of.

there's a few more here Very Happy