Laughing City
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

nemo1 wrote:
that Summerfest date in MKE will be big exposure for them. Even the side stages draw in a ton of people... I only hope Eisley doesn't play the same time as The Joy Formidable. I saw those guys a few weeks ago, and they put on one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

just checked the website. Interesting that Eisley isn't listed as headlining any ground stage. That just means they won't be playing at 10:00 pm. But Mutemath is listed as a ground stage headliner! Don't know what day that show is yet..

47 Days, 18 Hours, 50 Minutes, 37 Seconds until Summerfest 2012!

I checked the schedule and didn't see Eisley. Hope they play late so I don't have to take the day off work. Smile

MUTEMATH is 6/29 at 10pm.
norad
Vintage Newbie

Tour starts soon! Very Happy

I'm bummed Mer couldn't make it to KS in time but it'll still be a good night. Cool
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

my tickets came in the mail yesterday.

this will be my 5th time seeing them and my wife's first.

she isn't really a big fan, but want to go with me. So I said ok!

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I haven't bought mine. I really want to by a bunch for friends but haven't done a mass invite because some local artists I have supported booked a free show that same night, the one of which I know the best is moving to Nashville so this will be the last stl show for him for a while. Still going to eisley though, no doubt, just feel tacky creating an fb event when most of the musicians I'm friends with are booked for this chevy music showcase gig the same night.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
norad
Vintage Newbie

The KC show on Tuesday was really gross and hot. Venues need to get better air conditioners! Laughing I'll say that Eisley and Merriment were terrific but I didn't care for the local opener. They were considerably louder than Eisley was. It was almost painful. Mad I would consider this to be one of my least favorite Eisley concerts though. I was ready to leave before the doors even opened. Embarassed
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Just think, they coulda booked Kristen May as the local opener. Razz

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
norad
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Just think, they coulda booked Kristen May as the local opener. Razz

Oh gosh....that would have made it 10x worse. Shocked Laughing
nemo1
Sea Post King

well, their show tonight was just before Death Cab for Cutie (same stage) and I'd venture that 80-85% of the people were staking out their space for DC. But they did do a great show. The non-Valley & Deep Space songs were MT, Many Funerals, ICBTFY, Golly Sandra and I wasn't Prepared. I thought it was vindication for Milwaukee, because their usual show at a club here will draw 75 - 100 people, and there had to be at least 2500- 3000 plus tonight.

Death Cab was packed, and that was with Young the Giant, Avett Brothers, and Mat Kearney playing at the same time.
Catey
Lost at Forum

nemo1 wrote:
well, their show tonight was just before Death Cab for Cutie (same stage) and I'd venture that 80-85% of the people were staking out their space for DC. But they did do a great show. The non-Valley & Deep Space songs were MT, Many Funerals, ICBTFY, Golly Sandra and I wasn't Prepared. I thought it was vindication for Milwaukee, because their usual show at a club here will draw 75 - 100 people, and there had to be at least 2500- 3000 plus tonight.

Death Cab was packed, and that was with Young the Giant, Avett Brothers, and Mat Kearney playing at the same time.

I wish we had these kind of events in the UK. I would literally give my left arm (its my favourite of my arms too) to see Mat Kearney, Avett Brothers, Eisley AND Death Cab in one day. Especially Mat and Eisley. Jealous doesn't begin to explain how I feel!
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

nemo1 wrote:

Missouri needs to make better cheese, cause WI tends to always get better booking than us, and really STL & Milwaukee (sp?) Are both beer towns, so it's gotta be the cheese right?

And of those listed bands DCFC is the biggest. Kearney's got his following, but his fame hasn't been as consistent or dominant, & Young the Giant, and I like them, own a heck of a lot to DCFC, at least vocally. Outside of the LC I don't ever hear much about the Avett Bros. Honestly.

Our opener is Yes Sensei and judging by their last release, it's fair to call them OLD SCHOOL Art or Math Rock style emo. Merriment is going to have to follow a complete non sequitor of an opener. They sound like the weather feels, intense, disorienting & sticky sweaty and slightly dank. Gonna be interesting first 90 minutes of the show smoothing that transition & crowd reaction. Maybe this will make folks feel better about their own openers or missing out on shows?

In Excelsis by Yes Sensei http://roklokrecords.bandcamp.com/albums/in-excelsis

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

they play davenport ia tonight. i will be there.
as far as i know this is a town they have never played before.

i cant wait.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
nemo1
Sea Post King

Missouri needs to make better cheese, cause WI tends to always get better booking than us, and really STL & Milwaukee (sp?) Are both beer towns, so it's gotta be the cheese right?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
well, Wil, you still have us beat in baseball Sad . It's always been fashionable to beat up on the bookings they have at our Summerfest. It's a musical festival that never gets the attention like Bonnaroo or Coachella or Lollapalooza, but spread out over 10 days, they're always gonna have some dogs, and they do have to book for a large cross-section of audience. Still, even if much of the crowd was marking time waiting for DCFC, they still had to hear Eisley, and even in near-100 degree weather, those Duprees do put on a good show. You knew the DCFC set---they were sitting on the benches, backs to the stage, texting and talking.

Ooops, just checked the paper's review. -- Have to agree about the sound mix- it was very muddy, and hard to hear what Stacy and Sherri were saying whenever they talked. Here's the review, for what it's worth:
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
Eisley is a rising pop rock band from Tyler, Texas, featuring four siblings and a cousin from the DuPree family.

Thursday night, they were handed an opportunity to build their audience by landing the warm-up spot for Death Cab for Cutie at the Harley-Davidson Roadhouse. The benches were nearly full two hours before show time, with fans hoping to get a good seat for the headliner. But for Eisley, it seemed mostly a wasted opportunity. The band had an awful sound mix at first, both muddy and underpowered. Eventually the sound improved, but by then the indifference of the crowd seemed locked in.

The band didn't do much to help itself. Frontwoman Stacy DuPree-King seemed almost sheepish on stage and clearly didn't project the force of personality that would have shaken the crowd from its lethargy.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

... Sad

Not feelin that review at all, no love. It stings. just for that i will actaully bother to root formthe cardinals and rams when they play the brewers and packers, and as for Bucks... They need all the help they can get. Ain't been the same since Amare' pushed Bogut from behind in midair.

The first time in saw Deathcab and eisley, both in 2008, both bands had had technical problems, deathcabs being worse and more dramatic (2 keyboards frizzing out due to humidity/ exposure to show delaying torrential rain). I've. Noticed that at bigger shows the bigger bands use different PA set ups, from mixers and signal processors down to it seeming like some of house gear, as opposed to a superior backline, was actually not used for the openers and only for the headliners. Sort of lame if you ask me, but that's business for you.if the headliner doesn't sound the best, there are going to be issues with management, that's for sure.

I sincerely hope the reviewer's impression of the show was just the byproduct of a critic being critical and not the general feeling, albeit at fests you do get a good number of folk that are there more to be with friends than the actual bands which would explain some apathy. I mean how many people came strictly to hold up their cells and sing along to I Will Follow You Into The Dark? i'm sure there were a few hundred at least.

Regardless, Milwaukee's Summerfest has our Live at the Levee licked as far as contemporary relevance. Our 3rd annual Loufest is maybe too cool for school for me. There's just some music i don't have any desire to see performed. Hearing recordings is good enough for me. Eisley is a seeer, not just a listener.

Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
nemo1
Sea Post King

this same reviewer wasn't much more complimentary in his blurb review of DCFC, positing that their music was probably better suited to a more intimate club setting. Having seen the Joy Formidable the night before at a different stage and being overwhelmed by their "wall of sound" (which was still crystal-clear), I was struck by how quiet the mix was for Eisley. In that setting, with competing stages not so far away, and all the 'fan' conversation and cross-talk, it's the one time I would advocate cranking it up to 11.

I do kind of agree, though, that it was an opportunity squandered, but I expect they won over at least a few DC fans. As to Stacy's failure to close the deal, frontwomanery- wise, that could be a whole 'nother topic, but I'd cut her some slack for being pregnant and dealing with the excessive heat. I don't think any of the 3 girls are frontwomen, per se (you rarely see that in successful family bands), but are a cohesive team. Since Chauntelle almost never says anything anyway, and there wasn't much small talk between songs, I don't know what Stacy or Sherri could have done to galvanize the crowd. Truth be told, Eisley's sound really does work better in smaller clubs. For me, that's when I can best appreciate seeing Chauntelle playing and feel Stacy's magnetism and Sherri's humor...
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

honestly though, it seems like the reviewer is trying to be a skeptic. probably a hipster. hahaha, i kid.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand