<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

How electronic is this album gonna be?

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well, no more than One Last Song was is my guess. Why?

They mention Weston & Garron being collaborators in the songwriting for the first time ever as actiive participants while the ladies are presen.

Chauntelle wrote songs, presumably guitar based.

Sherri wrote songs and is also guitar focused too.

They are self producing it, so the amount of bells and whistles of that sort may be an unecessary layer. Sans Andy Freeman I imagine they'll keep it straight forward & take the Rick Rubin "sound of a band in a room playing" approach to recording production.

They got Jeremy Larson to arrange strings on a track just recenly, so they already have that going for them.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Well, no more than One Last Song was is my guess. Why?

They mention Weston & Garron being collaborators in the songwriting for the first time ever as actiive participants while the ladies are presen.

Chauntelle wrote songs, presumably guitar based.

Sherri wrote songs and is also guitar focused too.

They are self producing it, so the amount of bells and whistles of that sort may be an unecessary layer. Sans Andy Freeman I imagine they'll keep it straight forward & take the Rick Rubin "sound of a band in a room playing" approach to recording production.

They got Jeremy Larson to arrange strings on a track just recenly, so they already have that going for them.

well, there're pictures of them playing with the microkorg, and then they made a tweet about playing with mellotron sounds. also, some of the tracks from the arsiticats screen shots are midi.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

That's a lot of keys, yeah, but when i thnk Electronic music, i think of entirely sequenced instrumentation, programmed drums, synth bass, strings, and guitars, no live playing. Maybe samples here and there etc. that's one extreme though, versus using synths in place of piano or organ or live strings. So for me that's pretty standard for modern bands, be them indie or alternative or rock. That bit of ambience is a nice touch, something they've had in their arsenal from the beginning. Stacy was/ is the obvious secret weapon.

That,s why is say it'll go as far as One Last Song because the breakdown of that ne has a vrry Trip Hop vibe, lots of groove and atmosphere that evoke the worn in break beat jazzy swag of that stuff albeit playing it live. But most great samples heard in the best trip hop and jungle were of jazz tracks played by live musicians from the heyday of that stuff.

Speaking of Eisley sneaking the keys, i wouldn't mind hearing smarter with just the keys, cause the arragement is really neat and this cool counter melody with all those minor chords.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
rchamp
Sea Post King

Let's not forget that Stacy described the sounds they were after as "vintage" which definitely fits the mellotron. They likely will be as tasteful as always and won't make it too difficult to replicate onstage.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i like vintage rock and vintage electronic sounds over modern.

Marina
Sea Post King

So excited, this album will be awesome. I did not know Weston and Garron were collaborating to write songs. Interesting.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

And please no use of Auto-Tune/pitch correction on the vocals. I would have to get it out, but I think this was out on the Deep Space EP. Maybe that was something Rosewood liked to use.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:
And please no use of Auto-Tune/pitch correction on the vocals. I would have to get it out, but I think this was out on the Deep Space EP. Maybe that was something Rosewood liked to use.

probably. the vocals on deep space are imperfect, but it shows more beauty that way i think.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

In one interview back a while I remember Sherri mentioning it was used on either Room Noise or Combinations, but both of those were recorded elsewhere. I was under the impression that The Valley was the only one recorded in Rosewood Studios. I don't know about auto-tune on that one.

Dug it up on wiki for Richard Gibbs:

wikipedia wrote:
Gibbs produced the second full length record for the Warner Bros. Records band Eisley, "Combinations." Pre-production took place in Tyler, TX, home of the band, and tracking took place in Malibu in his studio The Woodshed in mid-September 2006

Let's just say it was a WB producer thing maybe?

I'm starting to think that somewhere Andy Freeman might have mentioned it being used sparingly on the Valley for some reason. If so it was via a thread here. But maybe my memory is being liberal today?

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
In one interview back a while I remember Sherri mentioning it was used on either Room Noise or Combinations, but both of those were recorded elsewhere. I was under the impression that The Valley was the only one recorded in Rosewood Studios. I don't know about auto-tune on that one.

Dug it up on wiki for Richard Gibbs:

wikipedia wrote:
Gibbs produced the second full length record for the Warner Bros. Records band Eisley, "Combinations." Pre-production took place in Tyler, TX, home of the band, and tracking took place in Malibu in his studio The Woodshed in mid-September 2006

Let's just say it was a WB producer thing maybe?

I'm starting to think that somewhere Andy Freeman might have mentioned it being used sparingly on the Valley for some reason. If so it was via a thread here. But maybe my memory is being liberal today?

in the first eiswood video, the intro mentions a lot of things being rerecorded at rosewood

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Went back and watched it, and the little blurbs were a teeny bit confusing:

"The Marvelous Things EP was recorded at Rosewood"

"Also 75% of Vocals...we re-recorded here."
( Completely reinforces what Big Ideas was saying, if you assume this statement means everything they'd recorded up to that point and not just in reference to MT EP )

"Also the Winter Song is an Eis-Wood production."

"Also My Lovely... And others..."

All that said, go rewatch it folks, just so you can watch and hear Eisley learning to play their parts for the song The Valley for the first time, in the studio http://youtu.be/lqi2Yrbr7yg It's still awesome.

Makes me wonder if the Producers on MT EP, RM and Combinations flew into town to oversee production or were just emailed tracks and called or emailed back notes on what they wanted done to the engineers at Rosewood?

Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i still love that little clip of the valley demo. sounds really eerie and mysterious.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Sherri updated today that she wrote a new song that she wants Stacy to sing and Weston has already tracked the drums for it. I'm really excited to hear what they're doing this time around. Especially with Aristicats on the tracklist. I'm hoping they just go all out and do whatever they crap they want. We all know it would still be great even if they did something way out there.

Also, I think it would pretty awesome if Darren, Max and all the Dupree's made an EP together and each brought their own creativity to the table. I think it would be kind of cool to see what they could come up with and I'm sure there would be some pretty cool shifts in the songs or on the EP in general.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I love what MUTEMATH is doing with their musical direction and it's evolution. I was genuinely pleasantly surprised with the two songs I've heard off Say Anything, inclusive of Max singing as well as I always new he could, sans some of that affect. All that said...

Every drum part Darren could be playing, Weston isn't, and I am just not cool with that, unless they go full on Dual Drummers. Wink

Bring Max in Guit-fiddle is A-OK on the right songs, and if he's gonna keep stepping it up vocally, that would be a nice contrast to add to an Eisley song. I mean, the guys haven't sung since Come Clean???

It would be kind of cool if they just went full on Broken Social Scene and made a collective band inclusive of the major contributors to all their projects.

If you haven't heard of them or much about them, Broken Social Scene are a precursor to the Very Large Band - Trend that Arcade Fire benefited directly from, since they are their Canadian Predecessors.

They have a rotating cast of contributors with Kevin Drew, Brendan Canning, Charles Spearin, Andrew Whiteman, and Justin Peroff being with the band the longest, and has included:

Feist
members of Metric
Members of Stars
and many more...

They're like an Indie Rock Wu-Tang Clan. I can totally see the greater Dupree Affiliated acts pulling that off.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>